[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 16 KB, 633x758, 318271da980706f7a18a811c3456a77d (1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10416909 No.10416909 [Reply] [Original]

I don't have an inherent problem with group work. The justification the professor usually provides is that you'll be working collaboratively in the field--obviously. But the field/workplace does not possess the same disparities as a shit tier undergrad program There is less of a gap in knowledge and ability. School is a mixed bag.

In one class we have been tasked with genomics research well beyond the scope of the course. It is a group project and accounts for the majority of our semester grade. My 3 randomly assigned partners are all idiots. Two of them do not understand basic biological concepts. Everything that comes out of their mouth is sloppy and mostly wrong. The other girl is very bright but is best friends with one of the stupid girls, which undermines the entire project.

Every week we must submit several pages documenting our progress, and each member must contribute equally. I can only "edit" and make so many suggestions before I become the sole author, and a complete elitist prick, both of which they are beginning to acknowledge. All our grades are suffering as a result. There's really nothing I can trust them to do other than basic formatting. I know what work is entailed to achieve a high mark, and they are simply incapable.

What the fuck is the proper thing to do in this situation? I've just been assigned a group capstone project in another course and I can tell it's setting up to be more of the same. I am unironically considering dropping out because of this. Highly doubt I'll be back come fall. The undergrad program I'm in is pathetically small and I will undoubtedly find myself working with these same people again over the next two years.

If I went to at least a mildly prestigious college with a brainlet filter this wouldn't be an issue. Why do my mistakes in high school have to ruin all potential for a successful future?

>> No.10416942
File: 59 KB, 320x320, consider-this.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10416909
Anon, it is a part of life to understand that 20% of the people do 80% of the work [thus 4% do 64% of the work]. We hate to admit that's how society works, but it is. The average person cannot do anything well while a few capable ones can do pretty much whatever their hearts desire.

You must think for them and find something that they can actually do. Yes, they can only format - so let them format while you do something else. What can they learn? Can they check references and look for new texts for you guys to work with? That is not hard. All it takes is dedication and interest.

David Ricardo solved this problem a long time ago. His solution was for the most capable to do what they are absolutely best at and / or the things that only the most capable can do while the less capable execute activities that both the capable and the uncapable are able to execute.

Then again, Ricardo worked with models where people voluntarily agreed to be partners. Yours is a bit different.

>> No.10416944

>>10416909
Switch to math and you won't have to deal with group projects

>> No.10416971

>>10416942
Thanks for the words anon