[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 94 KB, 640x1138, 395.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10385908 No.10385908 [Reply] [Original]

I'm really worried about what will happen when VR is indistinguishable from real life.

Why would anyone do any "real world" activity, when you can just plug yourself in the Matrix and have the most amazing experiences possible - sex with anyone you want for as long as you want, flying through the air like Superman, etc? You can live infinite lives any way you want. You can even be the God of your own virtual universe.

Why would anyone study to be a Doctor when you can just plug yourself in and within seconds be the greatest doctor who ever lived, loved by billions, without spending a single day in medical school?

I don't see how society wouldn't completely disintegrate. Maybe this is the real reason we haven't discovered aliens. As soon as a species discovers realistic VR, it's pretty much game over.

>> No.10385941

>>10385908
I used to think like you. That was before I burned out on most things people generally consider fun. There isn't a thing you could conceive of that I wouldn't feel "been there, done that" about. Now I'm all about work and self improvement. If anything, I think the introduction of realistic VR would speed up this process for most average people. There really isn't an unlimited assortment of things you could do in your leisure time. It's a decidedly finite set of possibilities. Even if you consider that the most creative people in the world will be creating these realities for us to consume. Mark my words. My fate awaits anyone and everyone reading this. If not now or even soon, then certainly eventually. I won't argue the point any further than this. Just remember I said it when it inevitably happens to you.

>> No.10385948

>>10385908
seriously? I think it'll be like any other drug. some people will get lost in it, some people will keep away. there's always some people who prefer real life.

>> No.10385956

>>10385948
It's an infinitely more powerful drug than any current drug available. No existing drug allows you to live out your greatest desires, dreams, and ambitions.

>> No.10385964

>>10385956
yeah but you'd be aware none of it was real, and you probably wouldn't be able to do it continuously. keep in mind the full vr immersion would still require normal human necessities like food, water, shelter. who would provide this for a junkie?

>> No.10385969

>>10385956
I think video games are this already. I can't imagine VR ever getting better than that. First of all, because CG seems eternally stuck in uncanny valley. And indeed video games have become a problem but only for young people. I don't see too many adults getting addicted to games. I'm pretty sure it's something you can grow out of for most people.

>> No.10385973

>>10385908
What exactly is wrong with anything you just said? It sounds like utopia.

>> No.10385976

>>10385973
David Chalmers (of "hard problem" of consciousness fame) agrees with you.

>> No.10385977
File: 14 KB, 478x523, proxy.duckduckgo.com.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10385908
>>10385956
>living out your greatest desires, dreams, and ambitions is bad, ok?!

>> No.10385982

>>10385908
In day to day life I'm more worried about AR augmenting our world beyond recognition, so the point that the unaugmented world is completely abandoned. I worry that attention will be so stolen by AR displays (advertisements, algorithms serving content at predicted times without user input), that people will completely lose the ability to exercise their conscious attention. That algorithms and automation will make life so easy, that people will grow unconscious. The AR displays of the future will double as VR when people are watching personal entertainment (I imagine at first everyone will adopt smart glasses). With the adoption of VR entertainment, the masses will become hopelessly addicted to an endless stream of the penultimate form of entertainment, catatonically gazing into the bleak hedonic horizon.

>> No.10385989

I don't buy it. You guys clearly have never even heard of "ennui".

>> No.10385990

>>10385941
>There isn't a thing you could conceive of that I wouldn't feel "been there, done that" about

What about:

-Literally becoming a God of your own virtual universe. You can create any sort of galaxies, planets, and life in any way you want. You can even create a universe with completely different laws of physics, completely different forms of life, etc.

-You can become the beloved and worshipped Chieftain/King/President/Chairman of any kind of society made up of the most inconceivable life forms.

-You can get married to the girl who rejected you in favor of Chad

-You can create a virtual world where you can experience the effects of heroin, except multiplied by 100 trillion.

I can go on and on. The possibilities are endless.

>>10385964
The most dangerous and addictive form of VR is where you don't actually know you are in it until you WAKE UP!

>keep in mind the full vr immersion would still require normal human necessities like food, water, shelter. who would provide this for a junkie?
People would just waste away and die from starvation plugged into the Matrix. It already happens with video games. Google the stories of gaym addicts dying from playing too much WoW and other MMOS.

>> No.10386006

>>10385964
It'd be the end. Only people who get things from society (physically attractive) would be opposed. Everyone else would be on that immediately. I agree that this is a likely solution to Fermi Paradox. If automation reached a point where humans could be sustained while plugged in, humanity might last a long time in this state.

>> No.10386007

>>10385990
would just waste away and die from starvation plugged into the Matrix. It already happens with video games. Google the stories of gaym addicts dying from playing too much WoW and other MMOS.
maybe I'm being too optimistic. It's hard to tell. But with drugs like heroin that are hard to resist, somehow most of the population manages to stay off them. And with videogames, most people limit their time.

>> No.10386008

>>10385989
>being able to do anything would lead to listlessness and boredom
what? what part of real life would people be craving? humiliation? working? pain? never having a hope of getting things they want?

>> No.10386021

>>10385908
If technology is advanced enough that full dive VR is possible, then doctors will have been long replaced by robots

>> No.10386024
File: 208 KB, 452x514, think.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10385908
Plot twist: You're already in a simulation you signed up for and made yourself amnesiac to enhance the experience.

>> No.10386050

>>10386008
What most people already do: try to build and maintain civilization, support their family, etc. All of which requires some sacrifice.

>> No.10386054

>>10386024
What kind of a shitty VR experience allows for pain and suffering? I would never sign up for this.

>> No.10386056

>>10386050
lul, compare what a brad pitt or a tom brady have to """"sacrifice"""" and what they get in return compared to what the average person sacrifices for basically nothing in return. it's a raw deal. almost everyone would opt out.

>> No.10386060
File: 37 KB, 807x659, Tiresome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10385990
The point is, anything you conceive of will become tiresome eventually. Since every experience that already exists has this potential, any new experience will have this same potential. It's just a question of time.

>> No.10386061

>>10385908
this totally immersive believable vr shit is the flying cars of our generation
mark my words, you will not see anything like this in your lifetime.

>> No.10386066

>>10386056
Brad Pitt experienced great suffering when Angelina left him and too the kids. I wouldn't want to be Brad Pitt.

>> No.10386069

>>10386061
That's what I think too. I have thought about what it would actually take to create such a technology and it just doesn't seem possible, even in the near future. There is just so much that still needs to be invented that we're talking timescales on the order of many many decades. Certainly it's not a thing for our lifetimes.

>> No.10386126

>>10386054
its edgier that way
earth life the game(tm), now with pain and suffering

>> No.10386235

>>10386060
mathematics has remained pretty fucking interesting

>> No.10386248

>>10386235
Well yeah. Things that you can study deeply as opposed to broadly, that have virtually a limitless amount of information that you can learn about them are probably the best contenders for activities you never tire of. Math and science are prime examples of this.

>> No.10386250

>>10386054
In the distant future, people forget what pain and suffering feels like, so they do THIS.

>> No.10386300

The burnout from VR will be fast for one simple reason. IT'S NOT REAL. You cannot override the part of the human psyche that craves that more than anything else.

>> No.10386303

>>10385908
you're already in one, m8.
want to know how to log out?

>> No.10386332

>>10385908
hard to say what will happen.
look at deepfakes, people were really impressed with it, the dream of celebrity fakers finally happened, but now that its here its not that interesting at all. It was really fairly anticlimactic

>> No.10386443

>>10385908
Why would anyone want to do anything at all when they could just sit hooked up to an IV taking heroin all the time? It is unlikely for VR to be indistinguishable from real life near term. The matrix is far off because we're having a hell of a time just making stable neural interfaces. Then there's the surgery to install the damn thing. Brain surgery is difficult and risky. Unless this changes very few people will be able to get neural interfaces. So without that we just have fancy high res VR so no sensations. But lets assume we have neural interfaces capable of producing sensations anyway. Reality requires a lot of computation and unfortunately it looks like improvements in computing are stopping. Many simple everyday objects are untenable to simulate. A great example of this is crumpled paper. We don't understand why crumpled paper is so good at absorbing impact energy. We don't even understand what the actual crumple geometry looks like. People have tried to scan crumpled aluminum foil(absorbs X-rays) in a CT scanner, but the structure was too complicated to make anything out. Simulating the crumpling process might require ridiculous resolution. A simple piece of crumpled paper might be all that is needed to break immersion.
>>10385956
Why bother fulfilling your dreams when a drug can give you the end result?

>> No.10386468

>>10386443
I came up with a way of making a wireless prefrontal cortex transmitter...

>.>"

>> No.10386528

>>10386443
>Many simple everyday objects are untenable to simulate.
Just fry brains of anyone who tries to dig too deep and fool everyone else with crude approximations.

>> No.10386548

>>10385908
Sure drone npc's might be content with VR, but if you've ever been to the alps you know it's different being there, breathing the air, seeing the mountains, than witnessing it in a video game (even with state of the art VR googles on). The same goes with roller coasters, sex, hunting, you name it. The key difference is that you need to work hard for reality, and then you get rewarded, also that real life has so incredibly much more information than a VR system ever can have. If you stop and look really closely at anything on your desk, you'll notice details you hadn't noticed before. There's literally infinite amounts of new information around you at all times, this could never be achieved in VR. Also: in VR you get everything for free = less sentimental value

>> No.10386550
File: 1.40 MB, 2560x1600, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10385908
VR is one of the cogs in the wheel of the beast system that Satan has had his minions building around us for decades.

Think VR, 5G, smart everything (including dust), block chain, RFID, AI, drones, and pretty much any cutting edge technology.
It will give Satan the appearance of omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence.
Scientism has made everyone believe in randomness in place of God.

The only thing missing is the removal of the only thing restraining evil preventing it from going live.

The Holy Spirit.

He indwells the believers in Jesus at this time, and we will shortly be gone.
I would strongly suggest you join us.
Chuck Missler's Cosmic Codes destroys atheism and proves the extra dimensional nature of the Bible.
No truly intelligent person can read it and maintain a disbelief in God. His Learn the Bible in 24 Hours is good too.

I know you probably think this is crazy, but you are about to find out the hard way if you don't any other way.

>> No.10386556

>10386550
commit a kys

>> No.10386567
File: 28 KB, 347x299, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10386556
You are fulfilling a prophecy.
Thank you.
I hope you repent before you find yourself burning in hell.

>> No.10386604

>>10385908
How indistinguishable can it be, can it simulate feeling like hot and cold and which inside human bodies such as pain and organ?

If it is really this powerful, the only question left is how long can our bodies sustain with only brain activities, and how much resources or money do we need to sustain such devices and supercomputers. If the computer happens to be Matrioska Brain which is good at self-sustained and even has the capability to take care of the human body, to me, I love to live in the VR world as long as I can breathe.

>> No.10386616

>>10386332
pretty sure the reason for the anticlimax was aggressive litigation and censorship, combined with the low quality of the product

>> No.10386767

>>10386468
If you did, it probably sucks absolute dick. In order to read and write to individual nerves at high bandwidth you have to put something in the body.

>> No.10386816

>>10385908
The experiences must be programmed, they will cost money. You wont be able to afford them for a long time.

>> No.10386935

>>10385908
Your problem is assuming that it will.
The exponential increase of transistors on a chip has a hard limit that we're hitting. It's not getting better and there is no indication that VR is going to be anywhere near as realistic as, well, reality (duh).
The reason we don't see aliens is because the universe is finite and it's very very rare. We're probably one of maybe 4 or 5 other intelligent species in the entire universe and we will never meet them no matter how advanced we get because the laws of physics puts a hard limit on space travel abilities/technology.

>> No.10386941

>>10385908
Why bother with the real world? Establish robot caretakers to sustain our physical bodies or become virtual ourselves and live much more fulfilling lives inside of a simulation.

>> No.10386977

>>10386443
>Reality requires a lot of computation and unfortunately it looks like improvements in computing are stopping.
nigga what

>> No.10386986

>>10386977
There is a hard limit on computing that we are hitting.
What, you thought "moore's law" was indefinite? No, we're down to a few atoms, theres no where else to go. The last computers are being made now, computers of the future (I'm talking about decades in the future even) will not be much better than the best computers of today.

>> No.10387086
File: 271 KB, 1869x957, 1497609184270.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No I disagree with your point about Moores Law.

The hard limit of Moores Law for silicon is 1.1nm (size of silicon atom which is the fundamental limit for silicon). We are at 7nm now. Every die shrink shrinks it down 70% and gives a speed bump or efficiency bump depending on what the manufacturer chose.

We still have 5nm, 3.5nm, 2.5nm, 1.8nm, 1.3nm and finally 1.1nm.

This together with architectural improvements, a switch to 3d chips and switching away from ancient x86 standards means we will still have a normal "moore's law" (wouldn't call it that but still) progression for about 20 years.

After that we will genuinely have reached the limit of silicon and have "maxed out" the normal processing.

HOWEVER. This is only true for silicon. Graphene processors are estimated to run at a big terrahertz scale. Meaning we could reach a 10,000-90,000x increase in processing power simply by switching to graphene in those 20 years time.

Even better if you have access to room temperature superconductors you could run graphene processors at the exahertz scale. Meaning more than a 1,000,000x processing power increase compared to silicon.

Carbon is also just 58% the size of silicon atoms so we are able to shrink the process down from 1.1nm to 0.7nm causing an extra couple million times processing power increase.

After that I won't know what's possible. It's possible that this is the fastest computing medium we will ever have. Or maybe we find an even more exotic material that can speed up even more.

Please realize that we are using silicon transistors since 1978.
Vacuum tubes from 1943-1955.
Germanium transistors from 1955-1978
silicon IC transistors from 1978-now (but will probably stagnate in about 2040)

It's time to move from medium anyway and graphene is the most obvious one. We still have 20 years of progress left before we run out of steam so lets all pray and hope that Graphene leaves the lab before that dreadful day comes.

CPUs are far from reaching their limits.

>> No.10387087

>>10386986
>>10387086

>> No.10387088

>>10386061
What if I get to age 100 and still have 75 years to live?

>> No.10387090

>>10387086
>>10387087
Quantum tunneling is a limit that is impossible to get past, built into the fundamental laws of physics that limit computation to be far lower than what you hope for.

>> No.10387112

>>10387090
Quantum tunneling became a problem at 45nm. We are now at 7nm which was also impossible just a couple of years ago.

Quantum tunneling is an engineering problem which can be fixed by architectures. FinFET fixed it up to 7nm. 5nm is also fixed by something called "GAAFET" invented and demonstrated by IBM. The technique of circumventing quantum tunneling is called "gate-all-around" which basically makes quantum tunneling irrelevant or even abuses the effect in its benefit.

I'm an electrical engineer and this is my actual job. Please actually look up this shit.

>> No.10387115

>>10387090
Also look at these transistors that actually abuse quantum tunneling to do extra calculations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_field-effect_transistor