[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 253 KB, 532x767, 5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10359775 No.10359775 [Reply] [Original]

What scientific evidence is there that shows Anxiety is real? Wouldn't the vast majority of people be diagnosed with depression and anxiety due to most people experiencing "low moods" and garden variety dissatisfaction or dread?

>> No.10359796

>>10359775
Oh yeah I've been through all the cringy shit. It's just from setting the bar way too high because you're terrified of looking bad. You just gotta internalize the fact the people really don't give a shit about you (beyond courtesy and niceties), and that's a good thing. Maybe you had some goals and maybe it's not working out but you can only do so much. All the poems and cringy bullshit is just cringy bullshit, don't read into it. It doesn't reflect on you. Trying hard is good but you have to accept your failures.

>> No.10359822

>>10359796
>You just gotta internalize the fact the people really don't give a shit about you (beyond courtesy and niceties)
The problem is that only stupid people believe this, which increases the anxiety of people with actual awareness. I mean, you're on the internet (and one of the worst sites on the internet) where people are routinely dragged through the mud and slandered for months or even years after they make a single innocent mistake. There's an entire section of youtube dedicated to humiliating people unfortunate enough to be filmed during bad moments in their life. Oftentimes the story isn't even true, but because a significant number of humans are so hilariously evil, it's perpetuated anyway.

Anxiety disorder is a consequence of living in a terrible world and actually realizing it, partially because you're not stupid and partially because you've experienced it first-hand. If traumas that prove how bad the world is happen to people during their formative years, they are often stuck with a lifetime of crippling anxiety issues.

>> No.10359855

>>10359822
The problem isn't people being dicks on the internet, it's investing yourself into things you shouldn't. That's what makes things "cringy". People go through legitimately bad shit and bounce back so it's definitely not that. Anxiety is the result of your own retardation. Mental health issues is you deciding to consistently make bad decisions because of stubbornness or insecurities or whatever your motivation is. It all stems from just not wanting ro face the music.

>> No.10359911

>>10359855
But you have to be either stupid or lucky to believe you have any agency in your own life. Anyone who goes through "legitimately bad shit" never bounces back because it was actually legitimate.

>> No.10359945

>>10359775
what the fuck?

>> No.10359947

>>10359911
You do have agency, predetermination is on a quantum level so we don't experience it. "Bad shit" is an objective scale, it's not relative. Stubbing your toe is not "bad shit", even if you had cancer and you're family died and were raped simultaneously. Right?

>> No.10359969

>>10359947
>predetermination is on a quantum level so we don't experience it
It also takes the form of genetics and parenting, which determine entirely how your life will turn out before you're even old enough to make a real decision.

>> No.10359981

>>10359822
people post and say mean things on the internet because those are their true thoughts and feelings and they face no social consequence

>> No.10359995

>>10359969
yeah there are genetic factors but then it becomes a disease you have and not your decisions
It only comes down to genetics in special cases. Your thoughts are your own, they way you respond to things is all up to you. There's no reason to kys for doing badly in school. There's no reason to stress that hard about it either, it's irresponsible.

>> No.10360021

>>10359855
Sometimes nazis like you can make it very difficult for some people.

>> No.10360041

>>10360021
>>10360021
I'm speaking from experience, trying to be based and redpilled. I went through the whole thing man I know what I'm talking about and I know above everything I was just a lazy irresponsible piece of shit. The people that enable that kind of behavior, that's the real enemy in society. You really don't comprehend, man.

>> No.10360445

>>10359775
Since I am not an expert on that field all I can bring to the table is the following:

Some people who experienced s.th. bad in their childhood and/or are put under extreme stress in their adult lives develop a mental illness. This illness has nearly identical behavioural patterns as a result across the entire globe. Not only for anxiety tho, same goes for stuff like borderline. Such specific behaviour has to be a result of a somewhat concrete process that we can label and categorize, right?

Not a proof, I know.

>> No.10360609

>>10359775
Depression us helplessness. If you know why you're feeling down and can do something about it then you probably will, if you're not a lazy cunt, and will stop feeling that way. When people don't realise what's wrong or don't have the willpower or ability to improve their situation, then the lows become chronic and are categorised as depression. And because people these days aren't taught how to deal with problems or how to respond to stress, so many of them end up being anxious about taking some action, since they can't predict the outcome.

It's just my amateur opinion, I don't have any proof.

>> No.10361739
File: 117 KB, 768x511, b159731f327c2f286beb3ce2c7d7e6ef7e3b0e6f712f188cf3745f3a98a32691.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10360041
>trying to be based and redpilled
>You really don't comprehend, man.

>> No.10361761

>>10359775
I dunno why but I feel sadder when a smart black nigga an hero because he probably is surrounded by friends or family that have sub 90 IQs with a toxic culture. If he told his family or friends he was depressed they would probably say something like

>ayo whatchu mean you depressed cuh? just fuck some hoes and smoke some crack nigga don't be such a bitch ass nigga shiieeeeet...*smacks lips*

All that potential lost because of the culture he is surrounded in. He probably would fare better if he had white friends coz they react like the typical hood niggas chuknowhatimsayin

>> No.10361762

>>10361761
>*coz the WOULDN'T react

>> No.10361794

Bongland seems like the unhappiest place on earth to me

>> No.10361861

>>10359775
Anxiety is a combination of dysfunctional emotional intelligence and malfunctioning neurotransmitters. 100% real, 100% treatable. Arrogance and/or ignorance are the two primary reasons most people dont seek help. Homeostasis can be easily obtained with the right training and severe anxiety can be treated with cns depressants.

>> No.10361918
File: 19 KB, 196x258, 1485910505222.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10360041
>I'm speaking from experience, trying to be based and redpilled.
Yes, your "experience" must be the same as everyone else's. Is that what redpilled means nowadays?

>> No.10363247

>>10359775
ngubu signed

>> No.10363265

>>10359775
Chemistry does this

>> No.10363309

>>10359822
You're correct, the only people claiming that nobody cares are lying to themselves. Try working somewhere and you'll realize that people judge each other constantly, talk behind the backs of people, spread gossip, ect... If you're obese or weird-looking , you're kidding yourself if you don't think people stare at you. Reviewbrah has to live constantly with this fact. Shitty judgmental people are a fact of life. The only option is to come to terms with it and don't care about their opinions, and this might prevent you from getting promotions and other such things. The question is whether or not you're fine with this.

>> No.10363323

>>10363309
Bur reviewbrah is handsome af

>> No.10363340

>>10359822
>>10359855
>>10361739
LE EBIN *bows*

>> No.10363370

>>10363309
based high EQ poster

>> No.10363488

>>10361761
Of course, its never the "smart black niggas" fault now is it, they always have to be the victim

>> No.10364547
File: 1.25 MB, 1059x513, nysnyd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10359775
They are all traps of the mind. A properly disciplined and resilient mind could overcome anything barring biological constraints.

>> No.10364548

>>10359775

I know his feeling

That shit fucking sucks

>> No.10364550

>>10359981
Maybe. But say I'm depressed as heck, then write something I don't mean (my life sucks, I don't like this person, etc.).
Anonymity doesn't necessarily mean authenticity, it just means you're less accountable for what you say. Could skew towards authenticity, but a lot of people can be frustrated, and say things they don't mean.

>> No.10364562

>>10361761

>He probably would fare better if he had white friends

Would he? Because there's plenty of smart whites who an hero or self-destruct to the point of suicide by overdose.

>> No.10364587

>>10359775
Yes, everyone experiences anxiety and low mood. It's something humans deal with. Different people will experience such moods with different intensities, varying periods of time, and as a reaction to different things. If you take an average over all people, you get what might be considered normal. Those who experience anxiety and depression well above normal (much longer durations, much more frequently, and more intensely) are considered pathological. That's it. I think I'm below normal on that and I'm glad for it. It debalitates many people.

>> No.10364732

>>10359775
>hanged

>> No.10364815

niggers cant into chemistry haha nice thinly veiled op image more interesting than op text

>> No.10364848

>>10359775
i don't like the term "anxiety"

i don't feel the word fits in own experience, prefer to call it "mental unrest", and it usually goes away after a good sleep but if it is due to an unchangeable reality in which i am inserted it can last weeks

>> No.10364873

>>10359796
>>10359822
My anxiety and self-consciousness comes from childhood abuse and bullying. I only realised this recently, I always thought it all irrelevant, and looked down on such nonsense in others, thinking of them as weak. The reality of it is that I wasn't given an environment to develop emotionally in a healthy way, and there's little that can remedy that at the core. The best thing anyone can do is get to know your own mind and thoughts, so you can step around or account for that core. Do muh meditation, lads.

>>10359981
Bullshit. It's just the mental habits certain spheres cultivate. Just look at 4chan, it changes the way you think and post. Thoughtless toxicity and reparroting. That's also the same with SJWs and the like, they seem irrational and retarded because a section of the internet made them so, and their thinking is facilitated institutionally IRL. I'm fairly certain they exist at the behest of the elite, they would like it if everyone was as malleable and devoid of consistency and critical thought. 4chan has given me many good things but also many tendencies I would rather not have. People treat the web, especially 4chan, as a place to shit out throwaway posts, they are trained to be thoughtless and to repeat memes, more than that, it's like an incoherent and inconsistent way of thinking limited to a particular context and feeling. It's not reflective of their true thoughts at all, or at least their true thoughts if they were to ever reflect and think for a minute or two. If that were the case, then I would a rampant misogynist, but I'm not actually outside of certain coaxing and environments. This is not true thoughts it's lack of thoughts and lack of responsibility to yourself and your own mind.

>> No.10364889 [DELETED] 

>>10359775
I am depressed because I can't build muscle

>> No.10364899

>>10363309
>Try working somewhere

This is one of the harder lessons I've learned in life desu. High school really doesn't end, it merely gets buried under a translucent veil of civility. If you're not a part of the herd you're in for a hell of a ride.

>> No.10365451

>>10364547
>barring biological constraints.
Isn't having a severely underdeveloped prefrontal cortex biological?

>> No.10365514

>>10359855
Pretty much this. It's pointless to blame your problems on other people, because you can't change others. Healthy people, the people that matter, are very uninterested in your failures or mistakes. They have more important things to worry about. That's why dumb people obsess over identity and sides. That's the best they can do.

>>10359911
>Anyone who goes through "legitimately bad shit" never bounces back because it was actually legitimate.
That's retarded. Nobody in here is suffering from death or lifetime incarceration. What could you possibly be referring to that's "bad shit" but not "legitimate"? People have recovered from child abuse, bullying, domestic abuse, sexual harassment, and rape. Does that make none of these legitimate? Would you wait until the victim died or overcame the difficulties before deciding? Would you call the problems legitimate until someone overcame them? You're such a sack of shit.

>> No.10365517

>>10359981
What humans do in private isn't a better description of their "true" stuff than what they do in public.

>> No.10365608

>>10365514
>bullying
This is pathetic and entirely their fault as a person (unlike the others which are legitimate unlawful and wrong acts). Like you said:
>It's pointless to blame your problems on other people, because you can't change others.
So as they aren't causing you permanent long term physical damage or sexually abusing you, then its entirely your fault because they aren't doing anything wrong. Its simply your own fault for being unable to defend yourself socially.
Is this correct?

>> No.10365775

>>10365608
>entirely their fault as a person
lmao what
i was once "bullied" and i can 100% assure you that i wasn't responsible for any of that! it wasn't me who mobilized thousands of people with fabricated bullshit, i don't even have the time nor the manpower to do any of that against any individual, i could never even fucking think any of those fantasies myself, it took me a hell lot of time and counter shaming so i could finally have peace, they were not people to be reasoned with, so i can definitely see how someone could end up damaged by this

it is just too ridiculous to think you can control what other people do with their time, unless you're a king you don't have control over anyone, and if you're a king and all your peasants decide they want your head you're fucked

>> No.10365793

>>10365775
>i was once "bullied" and i can 100% assure you that i wasn't responsible for any of that! it wasn't me who mobilized thousands of people with fabricated bullshit, i don't even have the time nor the manpower to do any of that against any individual, i could never even fucking think any of those fantasies myself, it took me a hell lot of time and counter shaming so i could finally have peace, they were not people to be reasoned with, so i can definitely see how someone could end up damaged by this
Sorry you have my sympathy but you were able to defend yourself eventually which led to an adjustment process and they weren't breaking the law.
This is what people have to accept when they are a part of society, you can't control how other people treat you unless they break the rules of society (i.e. severely physically injure you, rape you, steal from you etc etc)
>so i can definitely see how someone could end up damaged by this
If they are affected by it to such a degree that it causes long term "psychological damage" then its their own fault, as society expects you as a person to have a certain standard for mental stability (which the vast majority of people living in society have). They will have to take responsibility for their weakness and allow their standing in society, their aspirations and whatever else decrease and accept it because it is their own fault for lacking the standard of mental stability it isn't the fault of the bullies because they aren't breaking the law of this society. Once they admit this, then they can be helped by medical professionals.

>> No.10365806

>>10359822
That is dumb as fuck. If you're not the best at everything there's gonna be group of people that judge you and make fun of you, famous people with great lives get humiliated all the time. Welcome to the real world, fag

>> No.10365812

>>10363309
Why the fuck is 4chan filled with normalfags nowadays? These are the people with who you share the board with. Not really surprising since Elon Musk, IQ and engineering homework threads seem to the norm

>> No.10365817

>>10363309
I think you're missing the context of what he said.

People don't do all the things you're talking about because they care about YOUR life and what you're doing, they do all those petty things because they care about themselves, and you, as competition and a fellow human being in the workplace, are in the way. They're afraid that they'll look bad next to you, or that you'll look better than them, or that they'll get passed up for that promotion because the boss thought better of you instead... you'd be surprised how much of this dramatic, crazy schoolyard bullshit is linked directly into people only thinking about themselves, and how other people impact their own lives.

Its true, however, that most people don't care about random strangers beyond how those random strangers impact them. We simply don't have the time or the emotional fortitude to invest in every single person that we meet - anyone with a job might talk to a dozen people every day, or even a hundred people every day - that's just too many people to get to know or care about beyond the niceties that are part of being civil.

Same deal with the obese, the weird and the malformed - our revulsion comes from a deep-seated psychological place that is really about us. If our ancestors hadn't learned to recoil from people with malformities, we would all have died of plague or smallpox or would all have leprosy, so on. We fear the abnormal because we have hundreds of years of learned experience telling us that what we don't know can KILL us, so we should drive out the unknown.

>> No.10365871

>>10365817
>Same deal with the obese, the weird and the malformed - our revulsion comes from a deep-seated psychological place that is really about us. If our ancestors hadn't learned to recoil from people with malformities, we would all have died of plague or smallpox or would all have leprosy, so on. We fear the abnormal because we have hundreds of years of learned experience telling us that what we don't know can KILL us, so we should drive out the unknown.
So why hasn't society agreed to cast these people out? Why is England filled with foreigners?

>> No.10365886

>>10365871
you know the (((reason))) anon

>> No.10365897

>>10365871
Sometimes society does. The problem that you run into here is that, as usual, everyone is always concerned about them and theirs, and all of those people you want to get rid of all fit into the "Theirs" part of that for somebody, somewhere. Those people are family members. Fathers, brothers, husbands, wives. Its hard to sell people on the idea that their brother has to die because he's fat or was born without an arm or something - its a point of view without any compromise, since it makes plenty of sense if he's not related to you and its absolutely unthinkable if he is. The only way an argument like "I want to kill your (Family Member) because X" can end is with violence. So for the betterment of society, we all have a tacit agreement that we don't have to like what we don't like, and we should just avoid these outliers instead of trying to burn them in ovens or something like some cultures have tried.

>> No.10365912

>>10365793
>they weren't breaking the law.
>of this society
that matters little to me
this is the same as saying that the sentinelese did absolutely nuthin wrong when they killed that priest, that is indeed their society, and they make their own rules, but what they did is still murder

and the only reason it wasn't a criminal offense back then was because the law needed time to adjust, and it is now been 1 or 2 years since bullying became a crime where i live, they still can't send those people to a prison but depending on the severity they may lock that person in a mental facility, and when it comes to more serious cases like sexting then they serve a real sentence in a normal prison with drug traffickers, murderers and everyone else

>> No.10365963

>>10359775
you can measure tension of skin and the bigger tension the bigger anxiety

>> No.10366011

>>10365912
>but what they did is still murder
There is no inherent value in human life, a person is only allocated value by the society they live in. It satisfies a psychological aspect of empathy for some, it maintains bureaucratic and healthcare jobs, it's a social contract whereby we agree not to put eachother down if we outlive our usefulness to others. The point is that it's all based on a consensus of overlapping preferences. The value isn't intrinsic, it's just that we are generally important to eachother because we're social, we need to reproduce, we rely on eachother's labour, etc.

>and the only reason it wasn't a criminal offense back then was because the law needed time to adjust, it is now been 1 or 2 years since bullying became a crime where i live, they may lock that person in a mental facility
This just isn't politically feasible, you couldn't put the "psychological damage" you suffer from someone only bullying you into objective reality, because you are the sole witness and the times which others witnessed this happening to you is something they have probably experienced in the past also and got over (as it wasn't severe physical injury or rape or theft etc). If you classified bullying as punishable by law you would have to jail a significant majority of the population, it would cause society so much disruption people would be afraid to interact with each other as they normally would for fear of their freedom taken away.
>that matters little to me
When you agree to be a part of society you have to accept the rules of the society in which you live.

Why are a persons hurt feelings caused by words from another seen as punishable by law? Why should they be the ones to be punished due to the victim being emotionally weak and mentally unstable and being irrational under pressure? (assuming the victim hasn't been diagnosed with a debilitating mental condition like down syndrome instead they are just weak of will and lack character)

>> No.10366086

>>10366011
>There is no inherent value in human life
you may want to think that but it doesn't mean that i am just watching things passively, i don't have to

> jail a significant majority of the population
no just the organizer, it never starts from everyone at once, the pack always has a leader, and it is that guy who is now being punished by law; same with leaking boob pics, 1000 other people may have shared those same images but they arrest only the original leaker, he is the root cause of it and he gets to live with the burden

this is also what the police do to disperse protesters, it is very effective to arrest the leaders before a move, it doesn't even make sense to go after everyone individually because they are just literal NPCs

>you have to accept the rules of the society in which you live
no, i don't and this is why i now have laws to protect me

>> No.10366094

>>10359775
Depression is less about moods, there are people with depression who are not sad, they just can't get out of bed in the morning, have brainfog, etc.

>> No.10366139

>>10359775
>Serious article about depression and suicide
>'slams'
>'slammed'
>''''''''''journalists''''''''''

>> No.10366223

>>10359775

Honestly it's sorta forgivable for someone who hasn't actually gone through depression to equate it simply with feeling "severely bummed out" or whatever. I remember spending most of my life assuming it was something akin to that, and casually thinking "Damn I'm depressed today" or similar when I was suffering from some blues.

Then I fell into actual depression and realized I didn't know shit. I remember *wishing* I was sad because it goes so far beyond that; it's its own unique sensation, or lack thereof. There's no pleasure or satisfaction to be taken in anything; you could read your favorite book, listen to your favorite music, watch your favorite film, or be looking at the person you love most, and feel absolutely nothing for them; they might as well be a piece of dirt in the middle of nowhere on some planet in another solar system.

The closest and truest comparison you can make is the mental equivalent of trying to breath in space. Your mind undergoes the torture of asphyxiation but no matter how tortuous it is, you can't die from it; but you want to, so you start trying.

>> No.10366419

>>10359775
>nigger
and nothing of value was lost.

>> No.10366518

>>10366223
Amen, depression has to be experienced to be understood. Stay strong, brother.

But is there scientific evidence for anxiety as OP asks? Then one has to define scientific evidence and anxiety, and it all ends up as word games.

>> No.10366528

>>10366223
The most accurate description for my experiance I heard is that it feels like you are under water and can't breathe, but you look around and everyone else can. Being in the murky water, pushing you in, feels more like it than being in space I think.

>> No.10366540

>>10359775
>nigger
>studying Chemistry

Lol.

>> No.10366729

>>10361761
Killed himself because he was a fag.
Evidence - Arsenal football fan, writing poetry, literally look at his eyes. Open and shit case.

>> No.10367090

>>10361761
Depressed smart black nigga here
Socializing with people doesn't help, and the only socializing I do is with white people
Then again I'm not close enough to anyone to share my depression with

>> No.10367111
File: 9 KB, 100x100, 1549564191457.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10367090
Too real man

>> No.10367120

>>10365608
What I'm saying is that being a pathetic faggot like you are is pointless. People who define themselves in terms of other people's actions are shit because they can never move on. It's unfathomable to you that torture or rape victims can move past their trauma and become successful individuals, despite the fact it does happen, because you're an insufferable faggot. It's unfathomable to you that bullying is "legitimate bad shit" because you yourself haven't been broken by it, but I'm sure if you were then you'd be whining online about how you were ruined at childhood and there's nothing you can do and how you'll never move on. Healthy people hate you.

>> No.10367125

>>10367090
Don't worry bro. You can get a trophy wife, a cool family, and a cushy job. I've seen it happen.

>> No.10367128

>>10366729
>he's a fag because he writes poetry
have you ever heard of something called rap? moreover poetry is a white man's game so this makes no sense from all angles

>> No.10367133

>>10367125
>encouraging a nigger to reproduce
yikes

>> No.10367141
File: 515 KB, 690x678, 1548978877956.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10367133
I only hate protestants.

>> No.10367279

>>10364873
Quality post right here

>> No.10367280

>>10367125
What kind of job gives you enough to get a trophy wife?

>> No.10367297

>>10367280
Wealth is relative.