[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 198 KB, 1200x675, 00.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10358913 No.10358913 [Reply] [Original]

Why does relativism makes people feel so uncomfortable?
Why is it so hard to shallow that there is nothing absolute except these few laws and constants of the universe which we are not even 100% sure about. Are people really so insecure about their ideals they get disgusted when implied they might not be right?

>> No.10358960

>>10358913
It dosent, that's something you made up to derive a sense of power, superiority for understanding studying and believing
The theory.

>> No.10358965

>>10358913
>Are people really so insecure about their ideals they get disgusted when implied they might not be right?
Yes.

>> No.10358994

>>10358960
>It dosent, that's something you made up to derive a sense of power, superiority for understanding studying and believing
I don't think so. I've come to that conclusion just by thinking about my values, why I think they are right and how can I compare my values to others. I realized I can't prove my values are right nor that other people's values are right, unless I use some framework like utilitarianism or egoism. But there is no way to tell which one is right one, different cultures favor different systems. It's all straightforward, yet when I talk about it people get really disgusted. Few days ago someone told me I should never call myself human, because I told them that not everyone think that "life is the greatest value", giving examples of eg. killing a terrorist or exterminating vermins from home. Yesterday someone got mad because I told them that not everyone thinks that everything remotely related to pedophilia is evil and that some things like therapies for pedos or lolicon can actually help them fix problems and gives relief so they don't get frustrated and became predators(eg. Japan). It's not like people get mad at what I'm saying nor they call me wrong, but they attack me just because I say that different people have different views on things and there is no absolute good and evil. It looks like just "moral relativist" is an insult by itself for some people.

>> No.10358999

>>10358913
>im not sure what is right
>therefore nothing is right and you are insecure

>> No.10359127

>>10358999
>strawman fallacy so badly

>different cultures and systems define what is right differently
>therefore what is right depends on the culture and other factors

>people get irrationally mad and call you names without providing any counterarguments when you suggest relativism
>therefore they feel insecure when it's implied their values are not absolute

>> No.10359249

>>10358913
Because their value structure, which their whole life is rooted in, is contingent upon their belief in objective morality and meaning.

They have built up their identity, and therefore their psychological well-being, on a foundation that is increasingly more questionable. Deep down they know this and it pains them. Because of this, rightly or wrongly, when you attack the foundation, you are attacking their sense of well-being, and so they react defensively.

In other words, they are securing themselves against existential dread.

>> No.10359556

>DUDE IF I SAY SCIENCE THAT MEANS IT'S NOT OFF TOPIC