Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Become a Patron!

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 32 KB, 657x527, pepe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10352822 No.10352822 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

>philosophy is useless to science

science is literally a branch of philosophy

brainlets

>> No.10352827

>>10352822
name me one time in the last 50 years where one scientist has said "the answer came to me from philosophy!!!"?

pretty much non-existant

>> No.10352829

>>10352822
>Psychology isn't science/is pseudoscience

>> No.10352958

>>10352827
it was more than 50 years ago but Einstein literally got General Relativity from Kant

>> No.10352961

>>10352958
>>10352827
You both fail to recognize that the genesis of your entire line of inquiry is philosophical in nature.

>> No.10352965

>>10352958
wat?

>> No.10352983
File: 166 KB, 945x261, x k c d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10352983

>>10352822

>> No.10352986

>>10352827
I'm not OP, but you employ a strawman. Philosophy is, indeed, not answering any scientific questions. What it can do (and I need you to follow me vary carefully here so you won't bombard us with another strawman) is inform methodology and structure of the scientific process.

I am a mathematician who works in theor physics and the most I hear about philosophy is from people who have no connection to science whatsoever.

>> No.10352987

>>10352822
Philosophy? Why not just theoretical physics?

>> No.10353234

>>10352822
Math is an outgrowth of philosophical logic.

>> No.10353243

>>10353234
Maths is much older than the first Greek philosopher, not to mention the logic of Aristotle.

>> No.10353244

>>10353243
philosophers equate philosophy to thinking, which ironically makes their field completely useless either way

>> No.10353537

>>10352827
Have you read any article of Bohr, Einstein, schrodinger, Heisenberg ... About quantum mechanics?
It's literally just philosophy and it was philosophy that helped creating quantum mechanics

>> No.10353539

I consider philosophy closer to politics and law than to science as it can be useful for producing social policies but isn't measurable.

>> No.10353542

Ethics is the bedrock of science

>> No.10353640

Just because it was once considered a branch of philosophy it doesn't mean it depends on it anymore

>> No.10354181

philosopyhy GOAT

>> No.10354673

OP is right. Science is a branch in philosophy. So is math and physics. Many of the well known philosophers were also scientists and physicists and mathematicians

>> No.10354688

>>10354673
Without science they would not be able to actually philosophising properly.

>> No.10355570

>>10353244
What's wrong with a field being useless? I don't understand the irony here

>> No.10355595

No one cares. Philosophy is extinct as a field, and only pseudointellectuals reading material written over fifty years ago remain in it. Science has made it obsolete.

>> No.10355694

>>10352827
>He's never done graduate-tier theoretical physics or abstract mathematics in an academic setting.

>> No.10355700

>>10355595
>And then post-modernism slaps your culture!

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action