[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 21 KB, 768x528, beforeafter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10336955 No.10336955 [Reply] [Original]

Hey all, just wondering whether this will be feasible. I have to decide by tomorrow on whether I should drop Organic Chemistry II or not. I took OChem I 3 years ago as a freshman, and did horrible and got a C-. I didn't take the second part, however now three years later I'm realizing any grad school/med school I want to go to requires it.

Unfortunately, it's been ages since I took the first part, and I did so bad I don't think I learned much. Is it feasible to really learn everything from OChem I this next week, then catch up on the OChem II lectures I'm behind on (can't concentrate since I know literally none of it), then finally practice enough to do well on my first OChem exam 2 weeks from today?

I am in 17 credits, but my other classes aren't that hard and don't take up time outside of that class, aside from occasional busy work.

>> No.10337056
File: 14 KB, 480x360, YOU ARE THE BLACKEST RETARD GORILLA MONEY I HAVE EVER LAID EYES ON.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10336955
>Has a C- on his transcript
>thinks med schools will actually consider his application

>> No.10337066

>>10337056
I'm taking several gap years, and intend to retake OChem I later.

>> No.10337085

You definitely can, man. I was lucky and had a professor who gave us practice/review materials after every class - chances are you're not going to get an instructor that dedicated, but in order to get a handle on stuff you'll need to be practicing that often. Read mastering organic chemistry/khan academy online, do the hard problems in the back of your book (work the problems, don't look at the answer until you at least have an answer you have a rationale for). It's so much more fun to study when you realize how it gives you the tools to make actual structures and understand how they work. Good luck OP

>> No.10337156

>>10337085
thanks for believing in me

>> No.10337168

>>10337056
>if he's white or asian

>> No.10338504

i'd be less concerned with the C- and more concerned that you are just now realizing that it's a necessary class for your future plans. that's not really a good sign. given that this shows a lack of prep/future planning skills, i think adding a class that requires knowledge of a subject you've already done poorly in on top of your 17 credit load is questionable, putting aside the fact that you haven't seen the material in 3 years. you better be ready to work your ass off.

>> No.10338654

>>10336955
It's really unlikely that you'll do well in Orgo II without having a solid grasp of Orgo I concepts. There's nothing new in Orgo II except reactions and mechanisms, so if you never understood the stuff from the previous class I don't see how you'd expect to do well in this one. Especially 3 years later.

I mean, in theory you could do shit tons of review and get to a point in a few weeks where you understand all the necessary stuff, but this seems like too much work if you already intend to take Orgo I anyway.