Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 575 KB, 1080x1920, Screenshot_20190114-091957.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10293936 No.10293936 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Is his comment scientifically incorrect?

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-14/nobel-prize-winner-james-watson-stripped-title-race-comments/10712588?pfmredir=sm

>> No.10293937

>>10293936

no

>> No.10293939

learn to use the catalog

>> No.10293956

>>10293936
no

>> No.10293999

yes, no one likes racist cunts.

>> No.10294004
File: 400 KB, 1001x480, Screen-Shot-2018-10-16-at-5.57.34-AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10294004

>>10293999

>> No.10294025

>>10293936
they are scientifically uncertain. we have little clue how big of a role genetics have on intelligence compared to raising. we do know that black people are significantly more likely to live in poverty, something we know lowers IQ, so it is more reasonable to assume it is the socetal pressures that make black people have lower IQ. He is not scientifically wrong but he is definitely not scientifically right.

>> No.10294027

>>10293936
no
>>10293999
wrong

>> No.10294032

>>10293936
It’s a shame to see a great mind like this be bullied for speaking the truth. I hope one day we weaterners look back on these days with shame.

>> No.10294034

>>10294032
*westerners

>> No.10294073

>>10294025
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4739500/

>> No.10294091
File: 464 KB, 817x460, James Watson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10294091

>>10293936

James Watson quotes:
https://liorpachter.wordpress.com/2018/05/18/james-watson-in-his-own-words/

>Some anti-Semitism is justified
>Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you’re not going to hire them
>All our social policies are based on the fact that [Africans] intelligence is the same as ours – whereas all the testing says not really

>I think having all these women around makes it more fun for the men but they’re probably less effective
>And there’s a difference on the average between blacks and whites on I.Q. tests. I would say the difference is, it’s genetic
>There is a biochemical link between exposure to sunlight and sexual urges.. that’s why you have Latin lovers

>[The] historic curse of the Irish.. is not alcohol, it’s not stupidity.. it’s ignorance
>People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think [doing so by genetic selection] would be great
>The one aspect of the Jewish brain that is not 1st class is that Jews are said to be bad in thinking in 3 dimensions.. it is true

>Women are supposedly bad at 3 dimensions
>People ask about [Rosalind Franklin] and I always say ‘autism'
>[Francis Crick] may have been a bit autistic

>Indians in [my] experience [are] servile.. because of selection under the caste system
>Women at Oxford and Cambridge are better than Harvard and Yale because they know their job is to look pretty and get a rich husband
>People who have to deal with black employees find [that they are equal] not true

>East Asian students [tend] to be conformist, because of selection for conformity in ancient Chinese society
>[Linus Pauling] was probably always half-insane
>Anyone who would hire an ecologist is out of his mind

>[Rosalind Franklin] was a loser
>Disabled individuals are genetic losers
>My former colleagues are pinkos and shits

>> No.10294101

>>10294073
>Heritability describes ‘what is’ in a population – it does not predict what could be or prescribe what should be in that population or any other. It should also be emphasized that heritability does not refer to a single individual but rather to individual differences in a particular population at a particular time with its particular mix of genetic and environmental effects. Most importantly, heritability does not imply immutability (Plomin et al., 2013).


were you trying to prove the person-you-replied to’s point or negate it? because this line confirms his point

>> No.10294105

>>10293936
Nein Nein Nein

>> No.10294115

>>10294101
Read section 5: The heritability of intelligence increases throughout development

>> No.10294124

>>10294115
That literally does not prove genetic factors inherently and immutably make blacks inferior, per your own link.

Nothing you said is a refutation

>> No.10294128

>>10293936
not at all

>> No.10294131

>>10294124
>That literally does not prove genetic factors inherently and immutably make blacks inferior

Good, because I never claimed that.

>> No.10294141
File: 40 KB, 368x475, Crl4e8PWIAAPJii.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10294141

>>10294124
>everybody that disagrees with me is a nazi

This is getting tiresome

>> No.10294152

>>10294141
? thats an ironic use of that pic seeing that they did not refer to you as a nazi and your first instinct is to discredit his arg by assumeing he was argueing in bad faith.

>> No.10294157

>>10293936
Blacks are inferior because they are held to a lower standard that they never need to rise above. Humans in general tend to conserve energy. It's not because of race. It's because of "white guilt", affirmative action, and other excuses used to commit the soft bigotry of low expectations. Asians are a minority in this country and were treated like shit too but they rose above it and excel. But they were never in the trap of "you are a victim so we'll coddle you". In fact, Affirmative action is the worst on the psyche. Say you have a black person who genuinely is the best for a job. But due affirmative action, nobody will really know that. They'll assume that person was artificially placed there. It's degrading despite the supposed intent.

>> No.10294165

>>10294091
He sounds redpilled.

>> No.10294168

>>10294091
Yikes. Doesn't come across as a person particularly bothered with facts. He just seems to hate everyone.

>> No.10294183

>>10294168
why do you think what he says is hateful?

if you presume the same IQ between groups, then infer that aid would be beneficial to Africa on that initial presumption. and hold onto your own presumption rather than recognize the detrimental effects aid has, then who is doing more harm?
who is subjecting themselves to the most risk to help africans by saying what they believe?

saying he is hateful, to me seems like a very safe way to protect oneself without offering anything of value to other people.

>> No.10294185

>>10294025
Lmao, shut up. Even the conservative estimate of IQ hereditary component is 60%, which is a majority.

>> No.10294193

>>10294183
His hatred of women, his past colleagues (all of which disowned him), and his general tendency to stereotype and say ignorant shit about random groups of people.

>> No.10294237

>>10294185
black people are not siblings with each other. there is enough genetic variation between black people that it is significantly more plausible that something we know the majority of black people share (poverty, societal pressures) is the causal factor over something we dont know they share. On a side not the claim of intelligence being 60% heardity is dound via twin experiments that are seeking out a correlation. if you go in looking for the genetic link you will find it, but you will find a different cause if you go in from a non-genetic perspective.

>> No.10294242

>>10294237
Not what I was replying too clearly, my dear strawman.
I was replying to the bs about "not knowing" about the genetic influence on intelligence.

>> No.10294259
File: 795 KB, 1200x1747, genetics.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10294259

>>10293936

>> No.10294260

>>10294193
So he's probably autistic or something. Big deal. People need to learn how to see people as specialized machines with different levels in different areas. Being completely well-rounded is a pipe dream, some people are little lacking in areas. You can still respect someone as a human without having to take what they say seriously. It'd be like looking down on Einstein because you found out he can't cook a good omelete to save his life.

>>10294032
Fuck you too. We shouldn't praise him for being an ass either.

>> No.10294264

>>10294242
oh then you misunderstand me. we have no clue what genes affect intelligence and dont know if black people have them. anyways i actually streathened your comment to have an argument. how you ment it to be read lacks any point and is a waste of a comment. if your were correct about that point then you would still be wrong about the topic at hand because of my previous comment.

>> No.10294269

>>10294237
>>10294242
And just so you know what my gripe is with the general sentiment is that the mainstream are happy to accept the impact of evolution on everything, including phenotype, and the hereditary component of it. But then you get to the brain, and for the general public and "nurturists" it suddenly stops, and act as if evolutionary psychology and evolutionary neurology don't exist.
That's what pisses me off.
I don't think any generically distinct population is inferior, but I do they evolved due to their environment and selection pressures, and that it also includes their neurology.

>> No.10294272

>>10294091
Legit less racist than your average 95 year old. This is just humiliation tactics at this point.

>> No.10294283

>>10294269
I agree that there is obviously genetic influences on intelligence. But we dont have nearly enough data to guess what influences that has on humans or select populations.

>> No.10294291

>>10294283
Agreed, what I hate is when the general public act like the idea of a genetic influence is completely ludicrous.
Whilst saying things like:
>Nan liked reading science fiction too, I guess that's her genes.
It's such sickening hypocrisy.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action