[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 52 KB, 903x960, brainhole.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10290530 No.10290530 [Reply] [Original]

I shit you not, I mean what I said.
I am pretty good at grasping things, understanding them and applying them correctly, but I need to dwell on something for so fucking long to actually do so. Partly it may be due to me getting hung-up on definitions and concepts, but I feel I end up thinking about menial things for way too long, and it's starting to seriously be a hindrance; I can hardly keep up with my study course, because it will take me just so freaking long to actually understand the logic behind something.
Some time ago I went to a psychotherapy and when we were essentially done but still had some sessions left over I asked to take an actual IQ test for shits and giggles. It couldn't be graded because there was such a discrepancy between pretty much everything else, where I scored in the 130s/140s, and "processing speed" or whatever you'd call it, where I scored in the lower 90s ("Processing speed assesses the speed at which an individual processes information and the ability to react to the information. Processing speed sub-tests address nonverbal learning through the visual modality. Visual discrimination, selective attention, and visual-motor dexterity. Sample test items include searching for a specific symbol given a page of symbols, and identifying all animals among a group of pictures in a timed setting.", seems like what I remember the category measuring, from what I found in a website).
Does anyone here have any advice? I'd honestly appreciate it.

tl;dr
I'm a brainlet at coming to conclusions fast, even though I'm ok elsewhere. I'd appreciate any advice.

>> No.10290544

>>10290530
Just be happy you're not overthinking so hard that reality starts to dissolve.

>> No.10291896
File: 68 KB, 191x264, yrééry.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bumpf

>> No.10291915

>>10290544
That is the only pace I operate at. If other humans reality are so easily swayed by any measure or virtue, then I exploit it.

>>10290530
Honest answer: you think fastest when your imagination is unencumbered with satisfying yourself or others. It is the inclusion of insecurities of 'intellectual worth' to external entities that steal a lot of your brain's modelling of the moment.

>> No.10291972

-Maybe start keeping track of what you were thinking of when you finally understand a concept. You can identify what types of things helped in your understanding.

-Before starting a task take some time to evaluate your own understanding and figure out which pieces are missing/identify which concepts are most critical to understanding the topic.

-Practice your deductive reasoning skills, or just general "understanding" skill by doing thing with zero stakes (unrelated to school or work). Try to go as fast as you can and don't be afraid to make tons of mistakes since there are no stakes, be sure to review your mistakes and figure out why you made a wrong assumption.

-Do some cardio

-Racetams/Adderal though adderal sometimes does the opposite and just makes you retarded and slow

>> No.10292222

Realize that a lot of the people pretending to understand don’t.

You’re being hard on yourself is what it sounds like.

Time yourself reading and increase speed while testing comprehension by writing what it was about afterwards.

Take practice lsat tests timed.

Treat it like exercise

>> No.10293818 [DELETED] 

>>10292222
>Realize that a lot of the people pretending to understand don’t.
>You’re being hard on yourself is what it sounds like.
Possible, but even so, I did actually score below-average in the speed part of the IQ test, and I think I should be able to fix this. Many thanks, though, also checked

>> No.10293825

>>10292222
>Realize that a lot of the people pretending to understand don’t.
>You’re being hard on yourself is what it sounds like.
Possible, but even so, I did actually score below-average in the speed part of the IQ test, and I think I should be able to fix this. Kind of need to anyway because it'll be hard to achieve my goals if I can't keep up with the speed at which they're taught. Many thanks, though, also checked

>> No.10293835

>>10290530
OP it's basically just to train more. I think you are doing everything correct, I was in same boat. However, think about thinking faster as an exercise, let's say running.

First couple of weeks you are going to make some progress, maybe linear, maybe not even that, but eventually your progress should go exponentially when you find what works for you.

I'd say there are many mental masturbations that might fuck up your thinking, due to social media activity. For example, solving problem and getting a rush to check fb, start to get horny and daydreaming about fucking, wandering what the news for today are and checking them, etc..

>> No.10293845

>>10290530
Thinking faster comes with a tradeoff to accuracy. Try to stick with your own tempo whenever possible, otherwise just practice the things you think you're slow at under time constraints. Practice until you can maintain accuracy, then creep the time allowed down etc.

Honestly I don't like your chances and would prefer to work with sluggish but careful types to overconfident asshats in any case.

>> No.10293966

Think the way you are now but around stupid people. Relativity boi