[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 69 KB, 700x700, 28-nails-chalkboard.w700.h700.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10281159 No.10281159 [Reply] [Original]

does OCD compound on itself if you give in to it? does it worse if you don't stop? mental illnesses literally rot your brain because your brain is being used in a dysfunctional way, right? I'm talking specifically about OCD

>> No.10281217

>tfw Kurt Gödel had OCD and was obsessed with being poisoned to the point where he'd only eat food his wife prepared and starved to death after she died
Yeah I don't have an answer but I have OCD and worry about my life being so overrun by obsession that it kills me, like Gödel

>> No.10281231

>>10281159
Yes, it gets worse the more weight you put into the absurd notions you fabricate. Acting on them, “checking” and whatnot will engrain those patterns more, and you will normalize psychotic behavior. You have to completely ignore them. Spend time with people you are comfortable with and slowly expose yourself to the things that trigger the OCD thoughts while in their company. The more relaxed and automatic you are while socializing and near the problem phenomena the better you will get at disregarding the thoughts. they won’t disappear entirely but they will become more like silly background perturbations in your subconscious somewhat akin to what neurotypical people experience. Do not under any circumstances make a routine protocol out of whatever stupid shit you do to calm down when you give in. all of it is bad, ignoring is the only way besides extreme measures like antipsychotics or isolating yourself from the phenomena which is dangerous as >>10281217 has told you already.

>> No.10281234

>>10281159
Go to psychiatrist, take medication.
And do therapy.
Inb4 psychology isn't a science. I don't know if it's a science but it fucking works.

>> No.10281237

>>10281217
his OCD had something to do with his genius.

>> No.10281244

>>10281234
anti-psychotics are not a good solution to a minor mental malady that causes midlevel distress occassionally throughout the week. you can’t take them as needed and there is no going back once your symptoms have subsided or you learn coping mechanisms, you’re on them for life or you’re dealing with your new brain for life, usually a mixture of both on and off. extremely stupid for someone who is not violently/suicidally psychotic or in catatonic/manic states all the time. It works because its nuking your brain.

>> No.10281270

>>10281231
This is good advice. You should know that recovery doesn't necessarily mean the obsessions and the thoughts will go away. They probably won't. However, as this person said, they will fade into the background. You have to consciously recognize the thoughts as they come, for what they are. Just thoughts. A thought, lasting only for a moment, does not define you. Trivialize the thoughts and do everything in your power (short of giving into them) to stop them from spiraling out of control and ruining your day. I also 100% agree with >>10281244, you don't need drugs when you have neuroplasticity at your disposal. Antipsychotics/antidepressants won't teach you how to cope with your symptoms, and the withdrawal symptoms of these drugs are hell on earth.

>> No.10281274

LSD killed my OCD temporarily at least. I could literally feel the thought chain was being broken inside of my head. I was a new person temporarily; I felt as if the world was my oyster, but I have since relapsed into my 'self'.

I have since been obsessing over what the self even is. Millions of arguments bombard my head daily over this obsession and several others, and hence, I can hardly dedicate my full attention to anything else.

One of my arguments is telling me that this is normal behavior and what I am experiencing is a confusing question, therefore it is expected to be obsessed over if the answer is not immediately apparent.

Do I even have OCD at all? The answer... probably not

>> No.10281402
File: 37 KB, 586x578, 1514515281781.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/sci/, I don't think I have OCD, but I have this very strange obsession.
Essentially, I'm fascinated by the idea that I am in a Groundhog Day loop that spans my entire lifetime. Every time I die, I will restart my life from the day I was born, but with all my memories intact. I will continue this endless cycle of restarting and restarting until I solve the Riemann hypothesis, at which point this will all be revealed to have been a simulation with the express purpose of getting a proof (or counterproof). The simulation shuts down shortly thereafter. I am fulfilled.
Now, either the simulation just started (i.e. this is the first iteration) or I developed Alzheimer's in my last life and only vaguely remember some things, which I attribute to deja vu. Either way, I'm actually kind of really hoping this is true. I'm constantly thinking about how great it'd be if it were the case.
I don't have OCD, do I? I'm just a dedicated mathematician who loves his job.

>inb4 this is all true, I spend over a million lifetimes working up to the proof for RH, I finally present it, and the simulation doesn't end because I was actually supposed to solve the Goldbach conjecture or P vs. NP instead

>> No.10281412

I have pure OCD, which is awful intrusive thoughts all the time. I take an antipsychotic to sleep and it manages them. its made me feel like a monster and changed me

>> No.10281423
File: 45 KB, 800x605, 1546925385369.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10281412
You've turned yourself into a self computing quantum computer. With the right input you will reach (perhaps) a right output.
What is below a quantum computer and what is a quantum computer and what is above a quantum computer?
What if a quantum computer is a costume?
Hyperexpansion onto nontraditional/traditional noosphere being.
Who/WHAT is providing input and WHO/WHAT is providing output.
Other than a quantum quasidigitalmind experiencing unoptimisation and experiencing optimisation: where do you want to be, where do you need to be, where do they/it want you to be, where do they/it need you to be?

>> No.10281431

>>10281423
Binary computer.
Quantum computer.
Wave computer.
?.

>> No.10281435

>>10281423
>>10281431
Where are the universewide intelligence agencies that are supposed to be replying to my posts?
In their absence I have declared them illegitimate automatons and declared myself alone legitimate.

>> No.10282241

I have OCD. It's not like what you see in movies or what normies claim it to be. I'm not very organized nor do I have an obsession with cleanliness. It's more like I get these compulsions to touch things multiple times or repeat actions (like blinking my eyes or swallowing, reading the same line in a book) multiple times, normally up to some "lucky" number which changes every few days. I don't hear a specific voice telling me to do it but if I don't I get a lingering feeling that I can't shrug off. I feel like something bad will happen to me or my loved ones if I don't do my "rituals", like I'll become fat or dumb (I know, ironic), or someone close to me will die. It really sucks and it seems prescription drugs are the only thing that helps until I can get a better control over it.

>> No.10282247

Essential reading for moral scrupolocity OCD

https://slatestarcodex.com/2018/10/15/the-chamber-of-guf/

>> No.10282374

Channel you OCD to do grater things

>> No.10282432

>>10282374
This

>> No.10282599

>>10281244
>anti-psychotics are not a good solution to a minor mental malady that causes midlevel distress occassionally throughout the week
Who said anything about anti-psychotics?
The most commonly prescribed medication for OCD are anti-depressants. Anti-psychotics are mainly for psychos, not people with OCD.
And btw what you describe as a minor mental malady, does not mean it's minor to everyone, nor that it will remain minor forever. OP never said how much OCD he has.

>or you learn coping mechanisms
That's why I said therapy, which imo is as important or even more important than medication, especially since medication doesn't always work.
CBT does exactly what you are saying about learning coping mechanisms.
Only you get taught by professionals, who have tested these mechanisms on a big number of people and figured out which ones are the most effective.

>> No.10282908

>>10281402
Anything can happen after death
becuase there is no way to know what happens next and send that information back in time we will never know
reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAjHTno8fbY&t=2s