[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 44 KB, 693x559, fraudster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10231432 No.10231432 [Reply] [Original]

Why are doctors allowed to spread absurd lies?

So I watched this video of one of Germany's best known Lasik surgeon Dr. Maus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoLxhc0J83g

A bit of background to me: I had Lasik in July 2016 and have massive problems with higher order aberrations and dry eye syndrom ever since. I didnt have my Lasik with Dr. Maus.
Because the surgeon didnt give me any explanation for my problems I had to do all the research myself and read more than 200 studies during the last 2 years. This is the reason I know a lot about this topic and I can easily debunk the fake facts shared by lasik surgeons.

In this short (74 seconds) information video Dr Maus states 5 'facts' that are all completely false:

1. "There were 100 million femto-lasik surgeries performed so far."
Truth: 40 million surgeries performed so far. Those include keratome lasik, so the numbers of femto-lasik is much smaller, probably below 10 million. (Source: eyeworld.org/article-lasik-worldwide)

2. "Lasik can treat hyperopia up to +6 diopters."
Truth: "Laser vision surgery procedures like LASIK, PRK, LASEK, and EpiLasik are capable of correcting only up to about + 5 Diopters of farsightedness (Hyperopia)." (Source: trustedlasiksurgeons.com/services/how-is-your-vision/hyperopia---farsightedness.html)
Most german sources state +4 diopters as the maximum treatable amount. I didnt find any reliable source that stated that +6 diopters can be treated.

>> No.10231434

3. "Lasik enhances the quality of vision. It enhances contrast sensitivity and scotopic vision."
Truth: Lasik in most cases reduces contrast sensitivity and vision at dim light, due to the fact that the standard optical zone diameter is 6.5mm while the average pupil size of a white 25yo male is 7.2mm. This means that light enters the eye through the treated zone and the untreated zone at the same time, resulting in higher order aberrations (mainly spherical aberrations and coma). Therefore the statement of Dr Maus is a complete and utter joke. This study right here showed that Femtolasik induces significant amounts of higher order aberrations in nearly 50% of cases, therefore it decreases quality of vision for every second patient: source removed
4. "Lasik prevents the progression of myopia, this is why you should have the surgery when you turn 18."
Truth: There isnt a single study that confirms this statement. Myopia control can be achieved with Atropin (see: source removed) and OrthoK lenses afaik, but that Lasik is a form of myopia control is something he just pulled out of his ass.
5. "Lasik prevents dry eye syndrome"
Truth: The opposite is the case. Dry eye syndrome is the most common negative side effect of Lasik eye surgery. It is so common that the term Post-Lasik dry eye is commonly used (for example here: ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/p mc/articles/PMC3235707/)

So to sum it up:
This guy takes 74 seconds to make 5 statements about femtolasik and all 5 statements are total BS. He is a Lasik surgeon in Germany for more than 20 years. How the fuck is this allowed? How can a doctor be able to share such dangerous nonsense without punishment?
This whole refractive surgery business is a total scam.
Dont fall for the Lasik meme, kids.
The absolutely fraudulent behaviour of doctors makes me question the statements of "scientists" in general (I look at you, climate scientists).

>> No.10231436

had to remove two sources because it was detected as "spam"

>> No.10231467

>>10231434
>The absolutely fraudulent behaviour of doctors makes me question the statements of "scientists" in general (I look at you, climate scientists).
Doctors aren't scientists, they're assholes who take your grandparents money envelope so they can feel like he's not going to gut them like a fucking animal, then drives his BMW x7 to an expensive ski resort and gives fuckall about any of his patients problems.

>> No.10231472

>>10231467

then dont go to them. easy as that. imagine having to be so fucking jealous of somebody that puts in
10+ years of his life into studies

>> No.10231475

>>10231472
I don't go to them.

>> No.10231642

>>10231432
>I signed a consent form and knew the risks before having surgery and now it went bad, waaa how dare these FRAUD doctors do this to me.

>> No.10231648
File: 48 KB, 570x537, 1545406057189.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10231642
>fraud good
>arguments bad

>> No.10232103

>>10231467
This but unironically.

>> No.10232139

>>10231467
This. Actually though. There are researchers at my university who refuse to refer to Medical Doctors as "doctor" because they don't have an actual PhD.

>> No.10232569

How much time until we replace those cunts with bots?

>> No.10232594

>>10231472
>imagine having to be so fucking jealous of somebody that puts in 10+ years of his life into studies
Typical doctor narcissism. Act like a complete cunt. Claim you are justified in being a cunt because you studied hard in school. Whine about how everyone in your life is just jealous when you end up with no friends.

>> No.10232613

>>10231467
This. I have multiple relatives who are doctors, including my own father, and I can confirm that they are all all self-absorbed cunts who make fun of their sick patients in their off hours. Medical school selects for narcissism, so we get lawyers in lab coats.

>> No.10232615
File: 50 KB, 640x480, 1545029009997.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>been considering getting lasik next year
>keep reading shit like this, cousin got it done and has constant dry eyes but still loves it, other individuals claim no problems and claim best decision they ever made
Still on the fence about it.

>> No.10232652

>>10232613
>lawyers in lab coats

Lawyers can be ruthless cunts, but they're often quite intelligent and know the law in and out, also they don't complain constantly about their wordload since most of them are narcisstic workaholics.

Doctors are administrators in lab coats, they're there to tick boxes sign forms and make it a pain to get the tests, drugs or recommendations you need.

>> No.10232682

>>10232613
if you dont trust a doctor, dont go to him
if you dont trust doctors in general, dont go to them
its not so fucking hard
nobody is forcing you to