[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 31 KB, 350x486, 26639.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10221064 No.10221064 [Reply] [Original]

I bet that this thought experiment has been made a million times before, because i'm too stupid to have my own ideas, but as i can't find shit on it, here goes:

Imagine this: If there was a computer that could simulate the universe we live in, with which we could see the dawn of the universe, everything that's happened since, and everything that's going to happen. As if reality was a movie, or a book, if you will. My conundrum is: could a computer as such even in theory exist without breaking any fundamental laws of existence? Say if i were to peek an hour into the future with this computer, doesn't that mean i have the power to change it (meaning the computer was wrong from the start)? And if this computer is impossible in theory, does that mean we truly are the masters of our own lives, and not chained to destiny?

>> No.10221083

A computer simulating the universe perfectly would also have to simulate itself perfectly and so on requiring infinite memory

>> No.10221087

>>10221064
Halting problem.

>> No.10221092

There is a name for a computer which, upon gaining access to all available information, can assume all events past and future from a given point in time. However I forget what it is called.

It would however be flawless assuming it had access to all available information. It would have predicted you looking at the future and your likely course of action as a result.

Looking into the future with one of these things would be the kind of experience which would destroy the mind of most people.

>> No.10221094

>>10221087
And as a precursor, Laplace's demon.

>> No.10221095

>>10221092
>There is a name for a computer which, upon gaining access to all available information, can assume all events past and future from a given point in time. However I forget what it is called.

God