[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 64 KB, 781x552, 1443657896732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10112396 No.10112396 [Reply] [Original]

>Dropped Engineering
>Changed to Physics
>Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics, Special relativity, solid state physics, plasma physics
>Everything is so beautiful
>Went from being depressed to happy and excited every day

Why is physics so beautiful lads

And how can people go their entire lives without wondering the causes behind the laws that make up our universe?

>> No.10112408

>>10112396
Engineering is a fine field if you get into it for the right reasons, but money blinds a lot of people. A really large amount of engineering majors are in it for the social credit and money.

That being said, I agree with you that physics is a fantastic subject.

>> No.10112427

I sure hope you can find a job in the field when you get your degree, anon. Otherwise it's just like studying arts - it's beautiful and you love it, but when you finish you're just gonna be flippin' burgers with them arts majors.

>> No.10112450

>>10112408
I didn't enjoy the engineering courses at all. I didn't feel there was any theoretical foundation on the subjects we were being educated in.

As an example take electric circuits. As an engineering student, I was immediately just introduced to circuit components and equations used to solve theoretical circuit problems. It was just about grinding practise and former exam problems until you somewhat could apply it to the real exam. Then rinse and repeat with new courses.

As a physicist we were introduced to electrostatics in the beginning. Gradually learning about electrical charge, potential and dielectric material. Then we started applying this knowledge to problems and circuits involving capacitators. The difference is I understood why and what the components were. The same then applied to electromagnetism. But this time I understood why an electromagnetic field arises from charge in motion. It's not just a meme force that arises out of magic but as a consequence of special relativity.

>>10112427
Yes you're absolutely right. I'm not certain on the job aspect yet. But I wake up happy and I'm excited to learn more every day. I just felt depressed and sad before, so I hope I'm doing the right thing.

>> No.10112477

Good luck competing against the physicists who have been studying that shit since grade school. At least engineering has so many opportunities you don't have to be a turbo genius to find a job.

>> No.10112488

>>10112450
>It's not just a meme force that arises out of magic but as a consequence of special relativity.

Lmao, it's not just a meme force it's a result of the meme model

Listen, I will say it once.
The electromagnetic field is a geometrically aligned state of local photons.
Flowing energy in the form of photons at certain frequencies is what we name "electricity" the electrons are just sweep along for the ride.

>electron holes ;^)

>> No.10112509

>>10112477
Holy molly, Im glad Im not in engineering if all of you guys are like this.

To OP: Congratulations on switching to an actual academic field, also dont worry about the job prospects too much, unless you choose theoretical QFT/String theory or astrophysics, youre fine. Ive been employed in a national lab since the 3rd year of bachelors, in grad school now.

>> No.10112514

>>10112509
I'm not an engineer :^)

>> No.10112524

>>10112450
Why not switch to math? With physics you're still just given a model to use and solve problems with, just like engineering

>> No.10112540

>>10112509
>Ive been employed in a national lab since the 3rd year of bachelors, in grad school now.
What happens when you run out of school?

>> No.10112555

>>10112540
Ive alredy got a permanent contract, its not all related to my thesis.

>> No.10112561

>>10112509

What's wrong with astrophysics?

>> No.10112579

>>10112396
Im a mechanical engineering student and I understand what you mean. I think its a bit of a shame that I pretty much only learn about newtonian physics and not the other stuff. I try to learn that stuff on the side but of course not on the same level as you.

I still like my degree however and specilizing in fluids still mean I learn a lot complex and interesting physics and its easier to see how it can be applied in the "real world". The workload is crippling though and im stressed out most of the time. I think part of why I stay is that I want my work to involve doing things that will be of practical use to society.

Still think you did the right choice, its important to have passion for your subject, and im sure it will work out for you. Good luck OP!

>> No.10112608

>>10112396
>Chose unemployment

>> No.10112624

>>10112540
Professional schools look very favorably on both physics and math majors. They’re overrepresented at both medical and law schools. They’re also overrepresented in high finance because they know that if you can do physics, you can do complex financial modeling.
t. not a physicist

>> No.10112684

>>10112450
You're not a physicist.

>> No.10112937

>>10112396
>how can people go their...

Well, you assumed it, they've got life to live, you got wonders of universe.

>> No.10113269

>>10112427
nice meme dude, he can always just codemonkey his way through it.