[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 362 KB, 2560x1702, C4A8EF0C-BF7A-41AF-BA55-7110DC367214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10089161 No.10089161 [Reply] [Original]

Any psychiatrists on /sci/? Do you actually help people or just give out happy pills?

>> No.10089167

>psychiatrists
not science or math

>> No.10089180

>>10089167
Psychiatrists are doctors where else would a psychiatry thread go

>> No.10089200

>>10089161
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Fi32LbXHA

>> No.10089203

Protip.

Psychs are human beings. This means some things. Firstly not all of them are equal. Secondly they are greatly flawed by inherant human greed and self interest.

What this means for you is that the vast majority of them will only make a token effort at actually helping you. Not just out of disinterest but also because of their own dull minds. You are their paycheck.

Now I will let you know they are also very dangerous because of their self interest. They will drug you and give you advice just to run experiments for their own learning process. It can get worse. You could be drugged and abused. They could brainwash you to accept the mistreatment as usual. You will lose all power and control over your own life.

Now because you are weak the people around you will begin to disrespect and even ignore you. Before long the people closest to you will start to see they can use you for their own self interest as well. They will justify their behaviour because you qill have changed. Because of the drugs and the changes to your personality you will just passively accept all the insanity around you.

Be careful.

>> No.10089206

>>10089203
>What this means for you is that the vast majority of them will only make a token effort at actually helping you. Not just out of disinterest but also because of their own dull minds. You are their paycheck.

Psychiatrists have one of the highest suicide rates. Dealing with people’s traumas all day long is horrible work. Don’t be a cunt.

>> No.10089209

>>10089206
The less psychologists the better.

Honestly I have yet to see a single example of a psychologist who has had a positive influence in anyones life.

I have seen a handful of examples of them totally screwing other people for their own self interest.

I myself have suffered as a result of their toxic influence.

Show me a good one. Show me results. Psychologists are parasites who feed upon the weak.

>> No.10089216
File: 31 KB, 438x506, pope-dog-blesses-little-one.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10089161
You're honestly better off seeking a priest or religious person.

>> No.10089222

>>10089206
Yes, prescribing people pills that will make them dumb enough to not have problems anymore is a job I would commit suicide at too.

>> No.10090003

>>10089203
Of course there are bad psychiatrists that prey on the weak because that is the nature of humans. But aren’t there any good ones? Psychs that actually care their patients and help them?

>> No.10090025

>>10089161

happy pills, you fucking wish they were.

also this thread is filled with useless prejudice, bet most of the people who are against psychology and psychiatry are both misinformed and terribly afraid of being actually mentally non normal and the idea that willpower won't cut it terrifies them.

>> No.10090124

>>10089161
How do psychiatrics deal with questionable research practices and abysmal-quality clinical trials in their field?

See: >>/sci/thread/S9861757

>> No.10090420
File: 49 KB, 645x729, 1521798632508.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10089167

>> No.10090433

>>10089206
This because they both are predisposed to being mentally ill themselves and are generally bad and incompetent people fucking around in others’ brains.
>>10090003
No. Anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and anti-anxiety meds have absolutely horrible performance in long term clinical studies. Kirscher study proves this as does any review of the literature. Miniscule effects observed in all positive studies with horrific side effects near universally experienced. patients with severe depression and psychosis are not fixable and it would be less damaging to mitigate with pro-social measures and good diet/exercise/sleep. We have to start accepting many people just will end up dead from their neurological problems.

>> No.10090662

>>10090003
Sure but they are the ones commiting suicide.

If you go into a room with a psych you need to take some precautions. Look into the involuntary treatment method for your area. You will probably need someone you can trust supremely once you recieve any treatment. Without this person the psych has pretty much free reign to do with you as they wish.

Enter into any meeting with a psych presuming that they are a useless fucking moron with the potential to enslave you. Do not make excuses for them. If they seem even a little bit like a shitty person get the fuck out of there.

One thing to look for is someone who seems under a bit of pressure maybe (because caring hurts, its why most of them have the emotional scale of a psychopath). Another thing is how much of a clockwatcher they are. If they can't wait to get you out of the room then you're money. If they listen to an interesting part of your life that stretches beyond the appointment time... You MAY have found a good one.

Shop around, don't be in any hurry, keep in mind that they are all talking to each other all the time.

Finally just be aware that we are all some kind of insane including all psychologists. Look for one who is crazy in a good way.

>> No.10090667

>>10090662
Just wanted to add that I have seen the trusted person supposed to protect the patient be manipulated by the psych to let really weird shit happen. In another case I have seen a wife work with the psych against the husband. You can be betrayed.

Honestly I would just do your own research and medicate using herbal remedies, some of which actually do provide mild relief, which with strength of will and powerful lifestyle changes will do more for you than any psychologist.

>> No.10091676

I think I may be one of the few people on this board with a positive experience with psychiatry. Remember, your psychiatrist's job is only to prescribe medication and monitor your progress, not listen to your problems.

When I was 14 and finally decided to seek out treatment for my depression, I was assigned to a very good psychiatrist. He listened to my symptoms, and based on that he first ran a panel of blood tests to see what medications my body was compatible with, and some other tests based on issues I had.
One test revealed I had an obscure mutation of my MTHFR gene, which essentially makes it so my folic acid can't turn into a form my body can use naturally. He told me to take Methylfolate-L supplements daily with a small dose of prozac.

Because these supplements aren't covered by my insurance as they're just supplements, I've had to go without for a period of a few months at a time. The difference it makes is night and day. With just prozac it does almost nothing for my depression, but with the supplement I feel normal and happy and motivated to do things. My quality of life improved immensely.

He retired a year after, and I've never had such a good psychiatrist. I'm extremely thankful I met him. Even though the mental health system is a mess and it can be extremely difficult to find an experienced, intelligent psychiatrist, it's really worth it.

>> No.10091826

>>10089161
I think the company that's behind Prozac tried to push the idea that depression is caused by lack of serotonin (or another neurotransmitter). This was actually totally contrary to the truth, it just happened that people who showed positive results on prozac also had more serotonin activity, and to conclude from that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance would be speculation.

Anyway, you can be cautious of psychiatry without succumbing to fear mongering and borderline propaganda like >>10089203.

In general one should seek other therapeutic treatments first, ones that have a lot of clinical research behind them (not fucking alternative medicine or quasi religious nonsense or fucking reddit supplements, i forget the word they use for it) before trying drug therapies. ABA, CBT, shit like that.

>> No.10091832

I miss The Last Psychiatrist

>> No.10092041

>>10089209
>psychologists and psychiatrists are the same thing
they are very different, be careful with it

>> No.10092082

>>10090662
>most psychiatrists have the emotional scale of a psychopat
>caring hurts
>if they superficially look like they care about you then they're likely to have good intentions
I'm convinced you're good intentioned and you don't want to take revenge on that guy that stole your gf and went on to become a successful psychiatrist, though you sound like you barely have any idea what you're talking about, seriously inform yourself if you want to give advice about this sort of serious stuff

>> No.10092088

>>10089161

SSRis do not help people. they are objectively unhealthy.

>> No.10092099

>>10089203
>you will just passively accept all the insanity around you.
This. Instead of solving problems they'll just pretend there isn't any and try to convince you that you're being a little bitch. Don't let this get to you and find a better shrink that will either offer solutions when possible or at least acknowledge that there is a problem when it is obvious and try to work things out

>> No.10092112

>>10089209
>psychologists and psychiatrists are the same Basis psychologists is usually hate psychiatry. e.g. Loftus.

>> No.10092160

>>10091826
Nootropics?

>> No.10092716

>>10091676
>One test revealed I had an obscure mutation of my MTHFR gene, which essentially makes it so my folic acid can't turn into a form my body can use naturally.

This is actually an amazing point AGAINST contemporary psychiatry. You benefitted because your psychiatrist had actual medical/physiological expertise OUTSIDE of psychiatric diagnostics and treated you with an OFF-LABEL substance, whereas the psychiatric standard medication obviously failed.

Classical example of an amazing practitioner stuck in a horrible branch/field of medicine.

>> No.10092771

>>10092099
Giving people pills is not solving their problems, sometimes it's even making them incapable of. Maybe they just get insane when they realize they turned half of people they touched into vegetable.

>> No.10092774

>>10092716
I suppose you're right with contemporary psychiatry, referring to how it's normally practiced, but psychiatry is a medical field.

A good psychiatrist should have enough medical knowledge to discern what may be due to depression/ another mental illness and what those symptoms are also associated with.
A good psychiatrist should be essentially a specialized medical doctor, or at least know when to refer you to someone else. However rare these types of psychiatrists may be, they do exist.

I guess because of how grateful I am to him I'll always have some hope left in me for the field, if misplaced.

>> No.10092871

>>10092774
>However rare these types of psychiatrists may be, they do exist.

You were extremely lucky meeting this guy in the first place.

However, if he had conducted his examination and treatment in concordance with the official guidelines of any "expert" psychiatrist association, you wouldn't even be aware of this rare folate metabolism enzyme variant of yours to this very day.

Instead, you very likely would have ended up with a potentially dangerous placebo and severe hopelessness.

Just because you'd be assuming to receive - but not respond to - an "adequate" treatment, when in fact you had an easily treatable condition they just failed to diagnose.

>> No.10092941

>>10089209
This has long been my suspicion. After studying philosophy and psychology on my own, I've started to realise how much modern psychotherapy misses in terms of the spiritual and humanistic side of treatment. It's as if modern psychology so smug as to throw out millenia of introspection from great philosophical minds in favor of a purely biological approach, which is often more detrimental to peoples thought patterns.

In my past I've struggled with pretty bad depression, which only started to go away after I started learning philosophy and psychology, which allowed me to change my thought patterns and build a personality. This more difficult half of the battle is what is overlooked nowadays.

>> No.10093792

Is this thread full of Scientologists or something?
I know /sci/ has a low opinion of the soft sciences, but this is downright bizarre.

>> No.10094243

You need to be audited, your E-meter readings are off the charts.

>> No.10094247

psychology majors at my school are all chads, stacys, or sjws. i would not trust a single one to help me.

>> No.10094253 [DELETED] 
File: 1.24 MB, 1200x828, 1488.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10089161

>> No.10094452

>>10089161
The pills actually help people. If you have ""depression"" because your gf dumped you and talking will help you out of it then you don't have depression as a medical disorder and shouldn't see a psychiatrist.

>> No.10094457

>>10092941
> humanistic approach
What's it like being underage?

>> No.10094479

>>10094452
I want to state a simple fact:
You can get neuroleptics for simple toxic psychosis or some hyposomnia( It's quite different to hallucinate when you wake up, and when you're three weeks almost all time up ). They mark as schizophrenia so they can be your master whole life, then you fucking can't quit them because they done some brain damage.

There are still countries in this world, when most psychiatric problems are treated with ECT, which means they'll put electrodes on your head and run some current trough it. With side effects like dementia and memory loss it makes you "fine" because can't even remember what was wrong in first place, or why the fuck you're in hospital.

>> No.10094554

>>10094457
Nice

>> No.10094561

>>10089203
right on
>>10089206
get fucked they wake up and realise what evil fucking cunts they are
>>10090003
no there isn't the community shuns and discredits real healers.

eli lily #1 gross causes diabetes #2 treats it, yea ok, don't bring up medical papers that contradict psychiatric agenda they'll court order you for it, my psych didnt like the papers i put on her desk that show anti psychs cause brain shrinkage not the disease, we need some sort of class action mass holding psychs responsible for drug related deaths loss of work permanent side efffects inhumane treatment drugging against will etc.

>> No.10094597

>>10094561
Yes...

I actually find it very unpleasant that those dudes that call themselves psychiatrist de-facto define reality...

I live in a situation where scientific method is nothing, but word of psychiatrist is "all time universal truth". Literally they even interpret scientific studies on their own, and chooses the fact that enables them getting more money out of you. They get paid to feed you medication, that has side effects only "curable" by another medication... I've seen several examples of whole hormonal system collapse due to use of "harmless anti-psychotics with little to no side-effects". Then it's like: "You've must had issues before that just shown now."

If just people know how bad it really is.

I guess it differs from place to place, but overall, you're money they can make, even if you are healthy and they can make you take something.

Method is that they give you pills, which have side effects that is actually stuff they are supposed to treat. So they give you pills, then you have symptoms, then they treat you with pills.

It should be really closely watched what those dudes really dude, because they're nothing but mafia with intend to make money, not to help people.

>> No.10094633

>>10094597
>I've seen several examples of whole hormonal system collapse due to use of "harmless anti-psychotics with little to no side-effects".
i was on a medicine that caused instant impotence like the 1st day of the injection, they wouldn't let me off it (how is it legal to castrate someone) i had to move location to trigger a new psych to own me to get off it, i can also lactate if i squeeze my nipples from a different anti-psych.
>If just people know how bad it really is.
the only people that attempt to speak up about this is considered dangerous psychotic and full of shit to normies, years of experience of medicine and how what effects you is totally irrelevent when some kid str8 out of medschool has paper power given to him by the jew for sucking there cock and decides to powertrips on there bullshit.

supposedly the thought fuck of leave me alone and stop interfering with my life = im schizophrenic therefore they must interfer with my life and fuck with me, they are playing with fire i wonder how many mentally ill rampages that cost lifes are the result of a fighter finally snapping instead of rolling over and getting assfucked for life.

i can tell the difference between different psychoactive substance acute effect, stress/anxiety induced hallucinations and fucking anti psychotic withdrawal, i had a psychosis 6 years ago since then its been fighting withdrawal trying to get off the shit and the withdrawals being used as an excuse to lock me up and confirmationbias that im legit schizo, uk wot makes me hallucinate, the stress involved during a govt funded kidnapping,

it's bad for a heroin dealer to give free product to a recovering junkie to trap them in a cycle but its ok to hold at gunpoint transport cage and drug someone trying to get off a pharmaceutical, they are trained to induce panic attacks and use the symptoms of that as reason to detain.

>> No.10094840

>>10094479
> thinks ECT is bad
You could have just said "I'm a retarded brainlet and nothing i will say is insightful" and it would have been quicker for us both.

>> No.10094871

>>10089167
Also not even /lit/, /soc/, /adv/. Psychiatrists are the dumbest animals in the animal kingdom. As dumb as nurses/doctor assistants. You cannot have an intelligent discourse with these literal copy-pasting cliche-spouting 5 year olds pretending they're smart. A psychiatrist is as dumb as an actor and a politician, if not even more so.

>> No.10095765

>>10094840
Leave him alone buddy. He's probably suffering from the drugs your mates put him on. You should try them.

Conspiracy alert but all this human experimentation will probably bear fruit for future generations. That does not make it okay in my book.

>> No.10095779

>>10089203
>>>/x/

>> No.10095804

>>10095779
Psych student detected.

>> No.10095810

>>10089180
medical doctors are not scientists or mathematicians

>> No.10096992

>>10095810
>medical doctors are not scientists or mathematicians
A medical doctor can be a scientist, retard. A medical doctor can be a professor at a university and also a researcher, and hence, can make advances in their respective fields; whilst practicing medicine.

>> No.10097092

>>10089209
You and many patients don't want what you call "positive results", you simply refuse solutions, tell yourself you can't do it and then blame your psychologist.

They are indeed parasites feeding on the weak, guess what that makes you?

>> No.10097228

>>10089209
Great job with that anecdotal evidence

>> No.10097233

>>10095810
https://www.findaphd.com/advice/finding/what-is-a-phd.aspx

Medical science literally cures cancer

>> No.10097894

>>10097092

Self medicated. Self treated. All the information is out there. You don't need somebody getting between you and the facts.

I was sad because my life was shit not because I needed drugs which would make me lactate and behave like somebody who underwent a labotomy.

I've done much better on my own than anybody I've seen treated by any psych staff. Including my own father. Close friends. Work colleagues.

You're talking out of your ass.

Go learn real science instead of your quackery. Become a neuroscientist. You can do better for yourself and everybody else.

But thanks for your "concern".

>> No.10097913

>>10094840
It's totally okey you say, especially in cases they haven't gave you enough anesthetics and you woke up...

I bet you never been trough thing like that.

>> No.10098443

>>10097894
>I've done much better on my own than anybody I've seen treated by any psych staff. Including my own father. Close friends. Work colleagues.

This seems to be a common theme when people discuss their experiences with the mental health system.

>> No.10098462

>>10098443
Because the people who take every opportunity to get up on their online soapbox about psychiatry are exactly the ones who had a brush with normie meme "depression" one time and then got over it. And yes, if you aren't actually depressed but just sad because your life is bad, then of course a psychiatrist isn't a good decision for you.
But anyone who can honestly claim they've never seen anyone helped by a psychiatrist has never seen the inside of a psych ward in their lives. Just because you once overcome a personal problem does not mean there are not incredibly broken people out there who would be either dead or in prison for life without the psychiatric system.

>> No.10098504

>>10098462
So stop turning people with the sads into your personal cash cows.

>> No.10098643

>>10098462
>Just because you once overcome a personal problem does not mean there are not incredibly broken people out there who would be either dead or in prison for life without the psychiatric system.

Physically restricting people from suicide or being some kind of an alternative/parallel prison system for the mentally ill is not a medical profession.

These people are merely contained, not cured. And by "cured" I'm refering to the broadest definition of the term, which includes even slighty improvement of symptoms owed to medical treatment.

If you have mental health issues, you're basically at the mercy of the natural course of the disease. Either you remit spontaneously or not at all.

>> No.10098648

>>10098504
>So stop turning people with the sads into your personal cash cows.

I don't think this is the problem with psychiatry. It's not like this is some low-effort high-income profession where you get rich for doing virtually nothing.

Most of them are acting out of conviction. They are either personally interest in the field or genuinely want to help people.

However, they won't admit the non-existence of any evidence-based treatment with a noticeable effect size, since doing so would force them to realize the futility of their (often honest) efforts.

They need to focus MUCH more on biomedical research until they finally come up with effective therapies.

>> No.10098666

>>10092941
Why can't we just entertain the idea that the chemicals prescribed by psychologists can influence you in a positive or negative sense. The centuries of philosophy have their place, but some people wish to change their outlook on life for the better.

>> No.10098868

>>10098648
Everybody needs money. If a psych needs income and somebody walks in complaining of some mild distress they will medicate and trap you for financial gain.

Sure there's probably a couple of genuine ones out there but good luck finding them.

I have only witnessed their brutality.

>> No.10098880

>>10097913
You aren't meant to be asleep during it, the sedative is purely for muscle relaxant as in the past some people hurt themselves whilst convulsing.
>>10095765
ECT isn't random experimentation, the studies are all done and it stands as one of the most effective medicines in all fields. Long term repeated use can cause memory issues but these pale in comparison to the effect of the conditions it is used for.

>> No.10098885

>>10098443
Mainly because the mentally ill are not reliable narrators. Most schizophrenics feel better of their meds and will say they don't want treatment whilst shouting at people in supermarkets. As for antidepressants, it's not some crushing blow to medicine that there are other ways. They are cochrane proven to be very effective, but you can also improve your life. That's like saying metformin helps diabetics but they can also avoid that by controlling their diet. No doctor has an issue whatsoever with lifestyle modification.

>> No.10098888

>>10098643
> "let your ill patients jut die lmao, then you're medicine!"
Go spend a day in an inpatient psych facility. Letting them kill themselves would be an unforgivable cruelty, the people are sick not just 'sad'.

>> No.10098890

>>10092088
Cochrane review has demonstrated without any element of doubt that you are wrong. They have a response rate better than the majority of licensed medicines for all conditions.

>> No.10098895

>>10098885
>Most schizophrenics feel better of their meds and will say they don't want treatment whilst shouting at people in supermarkets.
I think that might just be sampling bias. The guy in the supermarket who's glad he can now buy frozen pies without any trouble doesn't stand out like the guy who's screaming at the cashier about the drugs he's not on.
If nothing else, this thread is a testament to that effect.

>> No.10098902

>>10089200
Therapy =/= psychiatry. He's a therapist, not a psychiatrist.

>> No.10098913

>>10089161
>>10089200
>happy pills?
As a therapist who works with low income people with severe, persistent mental illness, I'd like to remind everyone that the reason why we don't do lobotomies or lock people away in psych wards for life anymore is, in many parts, a direct result of advances in psychiatric medication. Psych meds have literally saved tens of millions of lives since their invention. I've witnessed them save lives.

Yes, some psych meds, (and many non-psychiatric medications) are purposefully and over prescribed due to greed. But this does not at all mean that they don't work for millions of people.

>> No.10098923

>>10097894
>I was sad because my life was shit not because I needed drugs

Congrats. You're someone who didn't need therapy or psych meds. You should consider yourself lucky and have empathy for those less fortunate than you rather than assume that because YOU did it on your own, everyone else's brain is the same as yours and they should be able to also.

If you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd realize that your anecdotal evidence is, literally "talking out of your ass."

>> No.10098953

>>10098880
Therapy which produces literally 0 gain in benefits, you don't remember it because what is does is not "good" in any way.

>> No.10098989

>>10098953
You don't remember it because it induces a seizure, no-one forms memories during a generalised seizure as the whole brain is firing.

It does a huge amount of good, especially for cases of totally refractory depression. It can turn people around from catatonia to going back to life and has a huge evidence base and success rate behind it.

>> No.10098993

>>10098895
It's sad, its clear almost no-one in this thread has any clue about how medicine works or has seen genuine mental illness. The sum of their proposed solutions has been healthy living and magic mushrooms.

>> No.10098998

>>10094871
>t. stem undergrad at a slightly above average university

>> No.10099028

>>10098993
If psychiatry treated only geniue mental illness, we would be all happy.

Also Psylocin is fucking thing, learn about it before you discriminate it.

>> No.10099033

>>10098902
>>10098913
>t. big pharma shill

>> No.10099037

>>10099028
I've probably used it more than you, it's not going to cure any psychiatric disorders. Nor do psychiatrists routinely treat non disorders, if people stopped going to their GP because their gf dumped them then it would be even better.

>> No.10099045
File: 85 KB, 645x729, 1515875215293.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10089167
>>10094871

>> No.10099123

>>10098890
How could you possibly be this stupid?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/

>> No.10099136

>>10099123
Do you even know what a cochrane review is?

>> No.10099579

>>10098666
I'm going to respond regarding SSRIs, the most common pharmacological intervention, but much of this applies to other drugs as well. For some people these drugs are catalysts for cognitive change, but too often they are prescribed as bandaids to treat a symptom and not a cause. Clinical trials of SSRIs also show only slight improvement in symptoms over a placebo. The only way something like depression is overcome is through rigorous cognitive reform.

Now this is where I think psychedelics are different and will revolutionize psychiatry, because it seems that they blur the line between the unconscious and the conscious mind; allowing people to view traumas in a new light, recognize and change thought patterns, and often times achieve in one day what a psychotherapist seeks to achieve in years. Instead of treating a symptom, psychedelics get to the root.

>> No.10099730

>>10099579
>but too often they are prescribed as bandaids to treat a symptom and not a cause. Clinical trials of SSRIs also show only slight improvement in symptoms over a placebo.

This isn't necessarily a problem. Even if drugs aren't directly targeting the "pathophysiology" and relieve symptoms by compensatory mechanisms, they can still be useful, as long as well tolerated in the long run.

The issue of SSRIs is their abysmal effect size.

>> No.10099789

>>10098888
>Go spend a day in an inpatient psych facility. Letting them kill themselves would be an unforgivable cruelty, the people are sick not just 'sad'.

Obviously they are sick.

But restraining them from acting out their symptoms is not a medical treatment.

They don't get better through contemporary psychiatric "therapies".

Either they remit on their own or not at all.

>> No.10099799
File: 197 KB, 755x992, ssri effect size.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10098890
>Cochrane review has demonstrated without any element of doubt that you are wrong. They have a response rate better than the majority of licensed medicines for all conditions.

Pic very related.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28178949

"SSRIs might have statistically significant effects on depressive symptoms, but all trials were at high risk of bias and the clinical significance seems questionable. SSRIs significantly increase the risk of both serious and non-serious adverse events. The potential small beneficial effects seem to be outweighed by harmful effects."

>> No.10099990

>>10099799
See >>10099954 for SSRI effects

>> No.10100067

>>10098923
I believe that what I have done with my own mind is possible for anyone willing to invest the effort into enhancing neuroplasticity and modifying their thought patterns.

The brain is a 3D circuitboard. Sometimes wires get crossed. The resulting chemical imbalances are a symptom not the cause.

Rewiring those circuits by snuffing out thoughts which reinforce the broken circuits and creating new ones by forcibly repeating thought patterns which are desirable is the only way.

This is the most useful attribute of psilocybin from my perspective.

It's not easy at all but psychs and their drugs are not helpful. They are only there to sedate people and chemically labotomise them.

Sorry mate but you don't seem to know shit.

Now lets talk about deranged schizophrenics. In most cases there are elements of this brain state which the sufferers enjoy or find desirable. This means they lack the desire to rewire their own mind. They do not lack the capability.

>> No.10100256

>>10089161
shrinks also fuck the fubar ones in the meditation room

>> No.10100426

>>10098989
I had ECT done on me when I was 17.

Essentially, I had no friends and just played videogames or slept all day long. At school, I felt outcasted, and stopped going. Didn't even have really good online friends. I don't talk much with my family, even then, when living with them. They didn't even bother talking to me when I stopped going to school. My diet and hygiene were abysmal. I wrote some fairly depressing poem though, and they had me see a psych.

I was greatly depressed and in and out of the hospital due to getting Baker acted by piece of shit psychologists because I'd honestly answer "yes, I have suicidal thoughts." It's not like I planned to kill myself; there was no emergency. I hate that they chose to remove me from society even further, into the loony bin. I wish they would have worked with me to help with the root cause of my depression (no meaningful social shit) and helped me to get back into school (I was doing pretty well at a magnet school, could have been much further than where I am today)

Their shit didn't work. I ended up laying around all day like a vegetable. One of the psychologists that worked there said I was the saddest kid she'd ever met, so I got ECT. After getting out of there, I decided I would never fucking speak honestly to these dickheads about what I was thinking.

After that, I essentially sat around playing videogames / min wage job, 2yrs WASTED. However, I am incredibly lucky to having been born with a vagina, because I've been in and out of relationships with guys from OkC, which has actually helped tremendously overall, though the first guy used me and my low self-worth. I've gone out of state with one, and I think that helps. I did cmty college -> uni. The most recent bf had belief in my capabilities and encouraged me to do CS or math - I chose math. He's given me incredible advice.

Now I'm involved in extracurriculars and pretty friendly with fellow math majors. I just regret being so far behind them.

>> No.10102034

>>10100426
>I am incredibly lucky to having been born with a vagina

jackpot.

>> No.10102080

>>10100426
None of this happened but okay.

>> No.10102082

>>10099799
Not a cochrane review.

>> No.10102192

i got an invalid score of ~114 on the woodcock johnson (tested by my brother as a part of his phd program, fucker scored it wrong at first and won't tell me my actual score because i took lots of benadryl afterwards in a hissy fit)
going to see if i can attentionwhore my psych enough to get wellbutrin/venlafaxine/vortioxetone and take the wais next year, and if i don't get above 120 i think i'm offing myself lads

>> No.10102213

>>10102082
>Not a cochrane review.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28178949

>We searched for eligible randomised clinical trials in The Cochrane Library's CENTRAL
>Cochrane Library's CENTRAL
>Cochrane

>> No.10102255

>>10098890
>Cochrane review has demonstrated without any element of doubt that you are wrong. They have a response rate better than the majority of licensed medicines for all conditions.

Dude, you realize that the psychometric scales used to determine symptom severity are continuous and not dichotomous?

Response rates are dichotomous outcome measures. They cannot be applied here, unless you define an arbitary and therefore unscientific cut-off.

You need to use continuous outcome measures, such as effect sizes, for comparisons. And even then, you cannot just straight-on compare them indiscriminately.

You need to compare the ratios of effect sizes of treatment and disease.

Example: A drug with an effect size of 1 for disease with an effect size of 4 is comparatively more effective (alleviating 25% of symptoms) than a d = 1.25 drug for a d = 6.25 disease (only 20% symptom relief).

>> No.10102845

>>10102080
What's so unbelievable?

>> No.10103204

>>10102845
>What's so unbelievable?
That you have a vagina.