[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 12 KB, 260x294, 41MMTXAW3RL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10084590 No.10084590 [Reply] [Original]

What's the point of this literal meme book? It's garbage. It straddles a regular calc book and an analysis book but anyone that can do the exercises can just jump straight into analysis and it has no applications that a regular calc book would have.

He also makes some ugly assumptions in his proofs and has an annoying conversational tone. We have to use this meme for our undergrad analysis class and I fucking hate it, our professor even hates it too but the department makes him use it because they think if they use rudin or apostol everyone would fail out. Half everyone in the class has already bought an actual analysis book by now.

Doesn't have applications, but doesn't have the machinery of analysis and real math either outside of some clever exercises. "Rigorous calculus" is a fucking MEME, it's called analysis, nobody should waste their time with this trash.

>> No.10084643
File: 45 KB, 586x578, limwojak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10084590
Had this as my freshman calculus text, absolutely loved it. I don't know what you hate about it, it's meant to bridge the gap between high school calculus and Rudin's real analysis

>> No.10084651
File: 65 KB, 468x272, top kek.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10084590
>What's the point of this literal meme book

A supplement to add rigor to normal calculus book in an honors class or a second pass calculus book for someone who did it in high school but didn't get college credit for it. Though Apostol's Calculus or Courant&John's "Calculus and Analysis" books are better all in one books.

>We have to use this meme for our undergrad analysis class

Yeah, your school sucks.

>> No.10084652

>>10084643
>just relearn the same material over and over with increasing levels of rigor bro!

The only place for a book like this is learning calculus the first time. If you can't do rudin or apostol after learning calculus you are a certifiable brainlet.

>hs calculus
>calculus in college (lol)
>other classes
>foundations to math
>intro analysis
>masters level analysis
>grad level analysis

this is just a fucking autistic waste of time trying to weed out people while still somewhat padding them through, the way math sequences are structured is a joke

>> No.10084653

>>10084651
>Yeah, your school sucks.

No it doesn't. They only use it for exercises on the homeworks.

>> No.10084749

>>10084643
>Rudin's real analysis
Rudin is a meme.

>> No.10084751

i dont understand why anyone has any difficulty reading rudin after even the most basic high school calculus class
it's literally all fucking simple. there are maybe 2 slightly unintuitive proofs in rudin, one of which happens to be in the first chapter. skip that and the rest is easy.
still find it fucking hilarious that anyone struggles with intro analysis, it's literally all geometric and topological intuition

>> No.10084808

Anyone have the calc 1 copy pasta? I cant find it.

>> No.10084820

>>10084652
>>intro analysis
>>masters level analysis
>>grad level analysis

What? Master level analysis is grad level (or intro level aka baby Rudin if it's an applied program).

>> No.10084825

>>10084808
Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.

All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.

>> No.10084840

So which calculus book is the best?

>> No.10084854

>>10084590
Rudin is also a fucking meme

>> No.10085118

>>10084825
Classic

>> No.10085823

Because it's a good calculus book with good exposition. Deal with it.
>>10084590
>We have to use this meme for our undergrad analysis class [...] because they think if they use rudin or apostol everyone would fail out
American, I see. Well that explains it.