[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 52 KB, 354x500, 1274656298272.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1008015 No.1008015 [Reply] [Original]

alright guys, theres an episode of this show where they say that egyptians had light bulbs to see in the chambers and hallways in the pyramids, and gave 3 good arguments against other kinds of lighting.

1) there is no soot or carbon deposits on the ceiling of the chambers, which torches would have left.
2) there isnt enough oxygen inside the chambers to hold a flame, and some dude testified to it though i wouldnt take his word for it.
3) using polished copper plates to reflect light in, like in the mummy, doesnt work past a few corners, too much light dissipates.

so /sci/ tell me what they really did.

>> No.1008027

they probably just put shit in there as they were building it...?

>> No.1008036

>>1008015
Simple. They put the bodies in before the roof was constructed. So it was like a base and an open topped passageway in. Build the roof of the main chamber first then move backwards towards the exit. Now nobody has to enter or leave, and they didn't need torches.

>> No.1008048

I don't really think that Egyptians having electric lighting really fits Occam's razor. Did they even prove that those so called "Baghdad Batteries" could power a lightbulb?

>> No.1008049

>>1008048

mythbusters showed if you strung like 10 of them together you could get ~4.5 volts, so maybe

>> No.1008050

While I remain entirely Skeptical like Sagan at the end of the film, I'm less harsh than this. Some of these things are in fact pretty stupid to assume they = aliens, but they do represent gaps in our knowledge of history and a little science, they should be investigated regardless.

>> No.1008053 [DELETED] 

>>1008011

XXhXX
XXtXX
XXtXX
XXpXX
XX:XX
XX/XX
XX/XX
XXaXX
XXtXX
XX.XX
XXkXX
XXiXX
XXmXX
XXmXX
XXoXX
XXaXX
XX.XX
XXsXX
XXeXX

>> No.1008060

1) Fucking brooms how do they work.
2) Math done by fucktards is fucked.
3) Irrelevant.

>> No.1008075

>>1008015
First, I'm gonna call bullshit on the "No soot deposits. Not enough O2 for torches." claim. Because I would wager good money that at the very least, grave-robbers have been in there many many times.

Second, (aside from grave-robbers) no one ever went in or out of those things after they were completed. They were giant crypts, not museums or places of worship.

Next, those "batteries" they've found aren't strong enough to do anything more than electroplating. And if Egyptians were using electric lighting, where is the infrastructure that would have supported that? I mean, I think would would have found at least one copper wire by now.

>> No.1008078

I think I saw this documentary somewhere. Actually, yes I did. That's the one with those ruins in that one city in Nicaragua that had stones cut perfectly with no cracks, right?

Well, in the interest of science I can pull a couple of things out of my arse.

1) Candles? Soot is caused by burning wood, so if the Egyptians were burning wicks and wax, there would be no soot or carbon deposits.

2) Perhaps there were traces of ethane or some alkane in the air that kept the flames going. I'm not sure how the Egyptians would breathe though.

3) If that first one holds true, there would be no need for copper plates.

Although, that lightbulb hieroglyph on the wall was pretty legit.

>>1008048

I'm pretty sure they proved that on Mythbusters somewhere...

>> No.1008088

Argument from ignorance fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance#Argument_from_ignorance

>> No.1008099
File: 38 KB, 599x421, blargh i are dead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I saw that episode and, ignoring the rest of the thread, if there was so little oxygen that you couldn't light a flame (2), you would be dead. That was probably one of the most retarded things I'd ever heard on television and... well, shit, man, that's pushing the limit.

>> No.1008142

>>1008099
It's a crypt.

>> No.1009779
File: 36 KB, 380x342, abydos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1009805

>>1008078
>I'm not sure how the Egyptians would breathe though.
>>1008099

Exactly. Wouldn't that be proof that no one was wandering around in there back then, torch or flashlight regardless?