[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 788 KB, 1000x750, shutterstock_269040626.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10076150 No.10076150 [Reply] [Original]

>remembering how stem cells were a big deal in the mid 2000s
>ten years later, turns out they don't do jack shit

I'm starting to think stem cell advocates really just wanted to stick it to the pro-life crowd.

>> No.10076156

>>10076150
>Jack Shit
There are countless people alive today who owe their lives to stem cell research, what the fuck are you talking about?

Have you read the literature?

>> No.10076157

This is shitty bait. Stem cell therapies are already entering clinical trials all over the world and have shown pretty remarkable success when it comes to stuff like Parkinson’s and spinal cord injury. We’re still in the very early phase of clinical research because for years stem cell research was hamstring by political forces.

This isn’t even mentioning what we’re accomplishing in vitro in preparation for clinical utilization such as growing organs in the lab and creating tissue cultures that will one day lead to benefits for a host of human diseases.

You have to be incredibly ignorant when it comes to medical research to claim stem cells won’t provide clinical utility.

>> No.10076242

>>10076156
>There are countless people alive today who owe their lives to stem cell research
How many were murdered for it?

I have muscular dystrophy. I'm wheelchair-bound and pretty much totally dependent on others. Stem Cell research offers my best chance at ever walking, at ever having an even somewhat-normal life. But it entails requires murdering children, so I'm against it. I don't care how much it would help me, its not worth being complicit to murder.

>> No.10076259

>>10076242
such a LARP. people wheelchair-bound dont totally depend on others at all. Also giving personhood to cells without neural signals indicative of all non-coma humans is retarded and you should feel bad about posting such a thing on this forum

>> No.10076281

>>10076259
>people wheelchair-bound dont totally depend on others at all.
I'm not a paraplegic, I have muscular dystrophy. I am extremely weak. I can't straighten my arms past 90 degrees. I can't get up from lying down on my own. I can't lift more than a pound. I am slowly losing the ability to open my hands. You're a fucking idiot if you think people with MD are self-sufficient at all.

I would rather be too broad with my definition of personhood than too narrow. Much less risk of murder that way.

>> No.10076292

>>10076242
Bravo. Well done LARP/troll post. I can tell your IQ is above 90.

>> No.10076296

>ten years later, turns out they don't do jack shitç

cure the HIV is nothing?

Results:

Analysis of the viral reservoir showed that 5 of 6 participants had full donor chimera in T cells within the first year after transplant, undetectable proviral HIV DNA in blood and tissue, and undetectable replication-competent virus (<0.006 infectious unit per million cells). The only participant with detectable virus received cord blood stem cells with an antithymocyte globulin–containing conditioning regimen, did not develop graft-versus-host disease, and had delayed complete standard chimerism in T cells (18 months) with mixed ultrasensitive chimera. Adoptive transfer of peripheral CD4+ T cells to immunosuppressed mice resulted in no viral rebound. HIV antibody levels decreased over time, with 1 case of seroreversion.

>> No.10076507

>>10076242
>requires murdering children
Troll post is trolling.

>> No.10076546

>>10076242
>things that never happened

lazy troll