[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 49 KB, 800x450, 33481015d04b3974f9ed7acf616592901b13507ebdabf48ee1d6d09d63acc2c4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10054759 No.10054759[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>never apply at undergrad despite exceptional grades
>want to go for Oxford mathphys masters
>current good but not great uni is noticeably posh, don't really fit in
>know 3 people who dropped out and transferred here, 2 very posh and snobby 1 normalish
>decide to apply anyway this year
>tell friend I may be elsewhere next year and I was applying to oxbridge
>I went for interview there, they were all so snobby and full of themselves
>(Assuming it was reject cope but being polite) how did it go?
>"I got an offer but turned them down"
>essentially may have to spend 10k extra for literally nothing if I decide to stay at current university (fairly confident of getting offer though, 2 former students said I had a great chance and the guy who got accepted for undergrad is clearly not as smart as me either in conversations or grade wise)

People from normal background's who went there, give me the redpilled redpill. And by normal background I mean AVERAGE state school with non pushy parents not the kings grammar school with chi and cha ling pushing you every step of the way

>> No.10056148

Yooo, I'm considering applying for economics and management at undergraduate level. I fear there is too little math for the career path I want to pursue (financial mathematics/quantity research) .

Does anybody know if you can take on extra modules at Oxford in addition to the normal course? I want to study the required math which is required for a nice master's in statistics or computational/mathematical finance.

>> No.10056230

>>10054759
Wtf just go there, you'll surely find some autist there who acts just like you.

>>10056148
Why not just a bsc in maths instead? You can teach a mathmatician economics, but not really the other way round.

>> No.10056260

>>10054759
He's not wrong, but it honestly dont let it put you off. If you're focusing on studying it doesn't mater

>> No.10056278

>>10054759
Oxbridge is about networking. They're snobs but in an anti-snob way, very left, politically correct, not the home county rural types.

Oxford is posh, Cambridge is not. Most of the posh kids are opting to go elsewhere now anyway (think more rural unis with cricket and rugby). So you'll be opressed by lefty group think not by toffs, but if you're good at networking it's worth it.

>> No.10056892

>>10056230
I would if I had a realistic chance at getting admitted but there are a couple of problems. Firstly I'm an EU/non-uk student. In my country the level math tested on the entrance exam is only taught after Christmas break, the test is in the end of October so I won't perform well. Secondly, the type of person they're trying to attract is according to themselves a person who is interested in math itself/it's proofs and not the application of mathematics. I'm clearly not this person. I've also not done any mathematical activities on my free time so I won't be able to write a good personal statement.

Economics on the other hand has a thinking test (basically logical thinking) which I've tried at home once and performed competitively. Furthermore I'm well read on economics and have done a lot involving finance which makes my interview/personal statement much better.

I have anxiety as the last submission day is 15th of October. Should I apply to economics management yes or no? It all depends on if I can do extra modules or not. Thank you for your input by the way, I know a lot of people wouldn't care to help someone in my situation as there are literally thousands.

The alternative by the way is doing a double Bsc in physics and economics (two separate degrees from two different schools). I fear though that this won't be good enough for jobs abroad as the universities aren't internationally well known unlike Oxford.

>> No.10056929

>>10056892
>the level math tested on the entrance exam is only taught after Christmas break
What are you studying right now? It dosen't hurt to apply, keep in mind though that the programme is business and management, and won't help you in pursuing a path in quantitative research. Physics/maths/theoretical engineering degrees are better suited for those types of careers.

>> No.10056977
File: 64 KB, 600x400, merlin_134176964_b3a96010-4983-407f-aa8b-7978ef663198-articleLarge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10056929
I'm almost half way through calculus. I know that usually you'd want to pursue a degree in the subjects you mentioned if you want to work in quantitative research but does it really matter if you take an economics degree with required additional maths?

Here are my options, which one do you think would be the best:

A. Study Bsc in physics + Msc applied mathematics (automatic admission)

B. Just like option A but with a Bsc in "business economics" simultaneously from a more reputable but still unknown institution"

C. Economics management from Oxford with additional study of necessary maths needed for Msc in statistics or computational/mathematical finance.

Also I know a lot of quant firms require a PhD but that is way into the future for me to consider.

Which one would you chose? I don't want to waste my time/money applying for Oxford if it isn't a reasonable option.

The universities in my country are Royal institute of technology and Stockholm School of Economics. Both are obscure abroad unfortunately.

>> No.10057027

>>10056977
I think I talked to you before, am also from Stockholm (vet inte om det är tillåtet att skriva på svenska här dock lol).

>quantitative research but does it really matter if you take an economics degree with required additional maths?

Courses like physics and whatnot are good for improving your problem solving skills and aren't really useful for much more, at least for most people. I would honestly choose option A, idk if option B is any good, you could always combine option A with studying the BSc at HHS starting year 3, but HHS is mostly useful for networking and not much else. Combining them however, would only be wise if you can keep up with attaining high grades in both. I wouldn't say that they're obscure, maybe in some areas but KTH is ranked pretty high in maths (http://www.shanghairanking.com/Shanghairanking-Subject-Rankings/mathematics.html)) and they have their own department in optimization theory. HHS have decent networks in London. Engineering physics have their own Quant-club at least, no idea if it's any good but still. There's also the KTH finance society that arranges banking weeks to London and whatnot. I would consider looking at Indek and majoring in applied mathmathics and choosing a master in either financial mathematics or optimization theory, I don't know how it stands in regards to quantatative research but it seems like to be a good combination of what you're after (maths/statistics + economics) and you would probably find it to be pretty fun. However, courses in physics are probably more useful than management ones.

>> No.10057059
File: 122 KB, 760x985, david-face-760x985.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10057027
Det stämmer nog bra ifall det var du som rekommenderade att jag skulle söka till Imperial. Förlåt för att jag inte svarade sista gången men modsen stängde ner tråden.

Regarding option B, I'd start at HHS by year three as you suggested. I completely agree that the benefits of acquiring that degree aren't that great but the study is interesting (things I often learn about in my free time) and I'd have slight edge on the job market as well as a better network. I'm only going to consider doubling if I find it manageable after starting one degree. I think I can as I have a pretty easy time right now but perhaps I'm arrogant as high school is easier than University from what I've heard.

I don't doubt that KTH or HHS are as good or almost as good (to the point it wouldn't make a difference intellectually) as Oxford for instance. But reputation? I don't know dude, do you think an employer would recognize for instance KTH in London? I kind of doubt it but I can (and hope) be completely wrong as I am disconnected.

I've considered Industrial engineering but came quickly to the conclusion that it's more targeted towards management roles rather than quant roles. Perhaps this conclusion is unjustified.

What would be the benefit of choosing Industrial engineering over Teknisk fysik?

May I ask what you study and/or do for a living? You seem really knowledgeable on my particular questions so you're a big help.

It's unfortunate you can't send private messages on here, otherwise I'd ask you for your username for flashback or other means of contact.

>> No.10057141

>>10054759
You would be a fucking moron if you turned down the opportunity.Oxfbridge will set you up for life. People will look at your CV and want to suck your dick. The networks you make will be that of the elite. The education and resources you will receive will be the best in the world. And what? You want to turn it down because they act a bit posh?

Here’s a red pill for you anon. You are being a pussy. Take the offer.

>> No.10057210

>>10057059
>Det stämmer nog bra ifall det var du som rekommenderade att jag skulle söka till Imperial.
Hehe, jo, det var jag

> perhaps I'm arrogant as high school is easier than University from what I've heard.
They can't really be compared, but I'm a bit of a brainlet so I'm not the best person to ask.

>do you think an employer would recognize for instance KTH in London? I kind of doubt it but I can (and hope) be completely wrong as I am disconnected.
Probably not, unless you get the job through contacts.

>What would be the benefit of choosing Industrial engineering over Teknisk fysik?
About the same amount of math without much of the physics, but the difficulty of the basic math courses at F is higher from what I've heard (but it might just be rumours). Plus some courses in economics and corporate finance instead of theoretical physics and stuff. Indek might have better connections with banks and stuff but it's not that big of a difference desu.

>May I ask what you study and/or do for a living?
First year at indek, was considering F but, like I mentioned, I am bit of a brainlet so I don't know if would be able to complete it with high enough grades and if I have enough interest in physics to go through with it.

Whichever you choose though will lead to a good (and hopefully fun) job, just don't forget the importance of internships and other merits.

Förresten finns det en moderator på FB som brukar hänga i U&S och har Aristoteles som bild som du nog kan skicka iväg ett PM till. Han har tydligen gått F ihop med HHS och jobbar som kvantare tror jag, annat tips är att kolla folks profiler på linkedin.

>> No.10057261
File: 18 KB, 300x300, epictetus-photo-300x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10057210
Thank you a lot, you've been very helpful. I'm going to reconsider industrial engineering.

Angående Flashback, syftar du på personen med denna(Epictetus) profilbild?

>> No.10057273

>>10057261
Sedär! Det var han jag menade. Kom ihåg bara att välja det du tycker verkar roligast så kommer plugget flyta på som bäst.

>> No.10057278

>>10057261
Alla gamla greker ser fan likadana ut för övrigt