[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 111 KB, 1100x1404, b71bff02fa278ea2d022d927bcecaf8f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10007464 No.10007464[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

what is with all this religious shit popping up on /sci/ lately?

people arguing that "infinity" is "god", people claiming the universe must be eternal and the big bang didn't happen, people saying evolution is wrong, the FUCK IS HAPPENING

is there some reverse-summerfag phenomenon going on? over the summer it was a way higher proportion of non-jack-shit posts, but the last two or so weeks it's turned into fucking church here

let's take a moment to recap scientific facts:
>people can't walk on water
>water can't spontaneously turn into wine
>virgin births don't happen
>dead bodies don't magically disappear from caves
>you don't stop being dead once you're dead for a while
>there is no old bearded white dude in the sky listening to your thoughts and causing bad shit to happen around you
>there is no such thing as magic
>there is no such thing as miracles

i would add a few more things like
>you don't live for eternity with 72 virgin wives if you blow yourself up as long as you take a few infidels with you
but it seems the only cancer ideas popping up here are jesus-freak shit

>> No.10007466

wow this is sure an honest response to an influx of religious posting and not just a bait thread

>> No.10007492

>>10007464
>people arguing that "infinity" is "god"
Hippies aren't people.
>people claiming the universe must be eternal and the big bang didn't happen
Those are fedoras.
>people saying evolution is wrong
It is wrong. HGT blows it the fuck out. Stop holding Darwin as infallible.
Nobody has ever said these are scientifically normal.
All of pre-modern science was once considered magic.
Why not? Miracles are just cheat codes for the universe. Also, your opinions =/= "scientific facts".
>there is no old bearded white dude in the sky listening to your thoughts and causing bad shit to happen around you
Why not? Have you never played the sims? And again, your opinions =/= "scientific facts".

>> No.10007527

>>10007492
>HGT blows it the fuck out.
no, evolution is still correct; there is not even any contradiction or tension here
>Nobody has ever said these are scientifically normal.
they have never been observed, and they violate well-supported laws of physics (well the virgin birth one is bio/genetics but still, ironclad)
therefore anyone who claims they happened are just as bad as people who claim "i can teleport" or "the magic bullet that killed kennedy made all these quick turns mid-flight". science doesn't have exceptions. if there were observed exceptions, then the science would change

>Why not? Miracles are just cheat codes for the universe.
you believe in "cheat codes for the universe". this is delusional. see a psychiatrist please.
>Also, your opinions =/= "scientific facts".
no, they are facts
>Why not? Have you never played the sims?
again, an old bearded white dude flying in the sky listening to people's thoughts and performing miracles is blatantly against observation and physical laws.

please, get the fuck off the science + math board and go to >>>/x/ or whatever

>> No.10007570

>>10007464
Christ is God, an omnipotent being, therefore He could walk on water if He wanted to.
>you don't stop being dead once you're dead for a while
Again, an omnipotent being could do what He wants, the laws of the universe do not apply to Him.
You can't prove what lies beyond this universe, neither that there is even something beyond or not.
No one claimed otherwise.
There are more than 2700 registered cases in the Vatican of miracles that couldn't be explained by scientists. Of course the majority of them will probably get an explanation later on, but what if some don't? You can't assume by default that there is no such thing as miracles without investigating every single one of them and finding explanations that are scientifically correct.

>> No.10007577

>>10007570
how can you agree that there is no such thing as magic and then argue that miracles are somehow real anyway? and that god does all these miracles because He Is Real And Can Do Anything even though he is clearly not real in terms of having any scientific evidence?

you're a perfect person to get the fuck out. >>>/x/ or >>>/lit/ or >>>/his/ or >>>/pol/ are where you will feel more comfortable talking about your imaginary shit that you use to delude yourself into feeling better about reality

>> No.10007585

>>10007527
>they have never been observed
by you
>and they violate well-supported laws of physics
and hacks violate well-supported laws of code
>science doesn't have exceptions
You don't understand what science is. Science is just models. According to science, an apple will fall from a tree and hit the ground under it. If I catch it mid fall and eat it, did I debunk science? No, it doesn't apply then.
>this is delusional
"i don't like this idea" does not imply that they are wrong and the holders crazy.
>no, they are facts
Look who's being delusional.
>again, an old bearded white dude flying in the sky listening to people's thoughts and performing miracles is blatantly against observation and physical laws.
He exists outside the universe just like a programmer/hacker/operator exists outside the program.
>please, get the fuck off the science + math board and go to >>>/x/ or whatever
And anti-theism has nothing to do with math or science so go to >>>/tumblr/ >>>/reddit/ or >>>/trash/ to shit post.

>> No.10007592 [DELETED] 

>>10007527
When you play the sims, a dare I say, Simulation, you can effectively be an old bearded white dude flying in the sky listening to people's thoughts and making shit happen

>> No.10007595

>>10007527
When you play the sims, which are a dare I say, Simulation, you can effectively be an old bearded white dude flying in the sky listening to people's thoughts and making shit happen

>> No.10007602

>>10007577
>how can you agree that there is no such thing as magic and then argue that miracles are somehow real anyway?
Look, I'm not claiming miracles are definitely real, I'm saying that there are several cases throughout the world of "miracles", the scientists of the Vatican are highly professional and as far as I know atheists, because this way they'll not be biased when analysing a case of a so called "miracle". And some of those they simply couldn't come with explanations, most of them cases of cancer or other diseases that simply vanished.

I'm saying that we can't be sure if those are indeed miracles or not. Arguing with certainty that miracles don't exist or that science has the explanation for everything is anti-science.
> and that god does all these miracles because He Is Real And Can Do Anything even though he is clearly not real in terms of having any scientific evidence?
Let me put this in logical terms:
>Definition. An Omnipotent Being can do anything he wants even if it contradicts the laws of the universe itself
>God is an Omnipotent Being
>Therefore he can do anything he wants even if it contradicts the laws of the universe
Simple, right? If we assume that there is a God, then it shouldn't be hard for Him to do any of the things you considered "magic" and scientifically inaccurate.

>you're a perfect person to get the fuck out. >>>/x/ or >>>/lit/ or >>>/his/ or >>>/pol/ are where you will feel more comfortable talking about your imaginary shit that you use to delude yourself into feeling better about reality
I don't know how old you are, but you act like a child or a teenager, if you're already an adult, you should really rethink your own life until now.

By the way, I'm not really a christian myself, but I have great admiration for the Catholic Church, whose values were greatly beneficial to the development of western civilisation and science itself.

>> No.10007608

>>10007585
i specifically have not attacked the abstract idea of "God", instead, i attack the ideas of bearded communists who can walk on water, or his old white jewish dad in the sky floating around and making bushes burn-but-not-really-burn-some-magic-burn

you ARE clearly delusional if you think god is a hacker playing with his computer code, and that hacks to the code universe exist that enable miracles. (anyhow also you seem to not understand how computer code works and how hacks work: in this case there is no magic miracle happening, there is simply an exploit in the program, no rules of how turing machines work are being 'violated') this is fucking far-out nonsense that has no place to be posted on /sci/

>According to science, an apple will fall from a tree and hit the ground under it. If I catch it mid fall and eat it, did I debunk science?
asshat straw man argument. you catching an apple is a possible thing in science, fucking duh. jesus walking on water is not.

>> No.10007610
File: 540 KB, 1680x1050, 1450992997152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10007464
>no old bearded white dude in the sky
>old bearded white dude

Because if it was a young sexy black gal it would be plausible. But an old white dude, A FUCKING WHITE MALE! Aw Hell Naw! That goes against everything the scientific laws of social justice say.

>> No.10007627

>>10007602
>Look, I'm not claiming miracles are definitely real, I'm saying that there are several cases throughout the world of "miracles", the scientists of the Vatican are highly professional and as far as I know atheists
well, still, if you're paying a scientist, and you obviously want a certain result, scientists are known to get their employer the result they want if their employment is at risk. look at oil-industry-employed climate scientists -- they're the only ones who go counter to the academic scientists

>because this way they'll not be biased when analysing a case of a so called "miracle". And some of those they simply couldn't come with explanations
sure, science can't explain everything, in fact in principle it can't, since random things happen on the quantum level. but just because it can't be explained in a scientific framework doesn't mean it was a miracle. could just have been some unlikely but totally physically possible thing

>most of them cases of cancer or other diseases that simply vanished.
this is totally physically possible; the immune system is something that medical science, a shining star of real science, is still working on understanding. even so, there might be weird things that continue to happen because science might not give us a full deterministic model. this still does NOT imply that god came and violated the laws of the universe

>> No.10007641

>>10007627
Yes, of course, that's the point, it does not imply that there is a God, neither that miracles are real. But you can't say for sure that it also implies that there is not God nor that miracles aren't real like you did in you first post and in others throughout this thread.

The question of God, christianity, meaning etc is not a matter of science, but of faith and philosophy. Science will never debunk faith because it will never be able to explain what lies beyond this universe or if there is something beyond.

Those "miracles" I spoke of, may eventually get a logical explanation for them, but by then other "miracles" with no explanation will appear and the cycle goes on, we can never be sure that there is even one of those that are a true miracle. In the end, like I said, it's all a matter of faith.

>> No.10007650

>>10007608
>i attack the ideas of bearded communists who can walk on water, or his old white jewish dad in the sky floating around and making bushes burn-but-not-really-burn-some-magic-burn
Non-retarded christians don't literally believe this

>> No.10007654

>>10007608
>specifically have not attacked the abstract idea of "God"
You seem to be by attacking miracles.
>bearded communists
Commies are atheists. Get your insults right.
>bushes burn-but-not-really-burn-some-magic-burn
Sorry that people 4000 years ago didn't have a word for "incandesce".
>there is simply an exploit in the program,
Or God is just using a debugger to edit the data directly.
>no rules of how turing machines work are being 'violated'
The laws of the universe are software, not hardware.

>> No.10007657
File: 14 KB, 300x300, hfyij.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10007464
>seething fedora
This board is for adults, anon. Go cry somewhere else.

>> No.10007662

>>10007641
fine, legit, i am fine with people having faith in abstract concepts even if they’re not a scientific fact, like e.g. ethics. but that’s not science and thus doesn’t belong on this board

however claims like water spontaneously changing into wine and a jewish dude walking on water are claims of physical phenomena occurring, and scientifically, the verdict is that they’re impossible

not the same story as “can cancer go away very quickly”

>> No.10007664

>>10007650
>Non-retarded christians
Oxymoron

>> No.10007678

>>10007466
there is no escape

>> No.10007680

>>10007664
>proceeds to not provide any argument
Mhmm

>> No.10007688

>>10007680
I'm not the guy you were originally arguing with. I came here just to laugh at theists (christfags in particular).

>> No.10007691

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Science, is in fact, Atheism/Science, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Atheism plus Science. Science is not an belief system unto itself, but rather another enlightened component of a fully functioning Atheism system made useful by the Atheist memes, body type and vital clothing components comprising a full persona as defined by leldit.

>> No.10007690

>>10007662
>fine, legit, i am fine with people having faith in abstract concepts even if they’re not a scientific fact, like e.g. ethics. but that’s not science and thus doesn’t belong on this board
Yes, it doesn't, but why go out of your way just to tell it to people that already know? The majority of the people posting about religion here are trolls, and the only reason trolls exist is because there is an audience for their stupidity, you're just giving them what they want.
>however claims like water spontaneously changing into wine and a jewish dude walking on water are claims of physical phenomena occurring, and scientifically, the verdict is that they’re impossible
If we knew for sure that there is no God, then those phenomenons would surely be impossible. But if we assume that there is a God, the it wouldn't be impossible for Him to do those things. The problem is that we can't prove neither, therefore we can't know for sure whether those thing could be possible or not.

>> No.10007700
File: 380 KB, 420x420, 645bbc1b8f8d860e9b9c3b36bcebb4a7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>atheism is a scientific theory and definitely not a cult for dweebs

>> No.10007729
File: 51 KB, 557x711, e1e8571d6242566fbb2db80f916c6e65.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10007664
>>10007688

>> No.10007730

>>10007464
/Sci/ rule number 3:
> No "religion vs. science" threads.

If you want to talk religion, go to /his/. Have a good day.

>> No.10007733

>>10007464
You do realise that the big bang is a creationist theory for atheists? And it was thought up by Jesuit priest?

You have fallen for the same trap while being convinced you haven't.

>> No.10007734

>>10007688
>(christfags in particular)
Why would you target particular theists? Could it be possible that you're just a fedora tipper?

>> No.10007746

>>10007608
>i attack ... his old white jewish dad
Why the antisemitism?

>> No.10008469

>>10007464
Jesus Christ, O He is my LORD, Oh LORD you are Holy, please LORD fill me up with your mercy and love, please LORD I beg to be filled up by your massive love.

>> No.10008480
File: 39 KB, 450x280, Disguised-Wolf-450x280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10008469
>my LORD
>LORD

All caps mean Yahweh, dumbass.

>> No.10008487

>>10007733
>You do realise that the big bang is a creationist theory for atheists?
trips dubs dubs of truth
I discuss this in Section 4.1 of my book
The General Relevance of the Modified Cosmological Model
http://www.vixra.org/abs/1712.0598

>> No.10008493

>>10007733
>big bang... how stupid, why would they call it that
>what's even the proof?
>*looks up big bang*
>oh shit there's no facts, these atheists are religious too!
>I better inform them of this fact so I can feel superior to science
We don't believe in the big bang, it's just probable at this point. If the big bang is disproved via scientific means that would be a huge scientific advancement.

>> No.10008497
File: 355 KB, 480x800, TRINITY___WhoAmI.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10007464
Given that Jesus is the name of my computer, does anyone see the irony here? Also, that white thing isn't my toga, it's the paper I had taped over the camera on my phone.

Matthew 5:27-28 New International Version (NIV)
Adultery

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

>> No.10008498

>>10007733
>You do realise that the big bang is a creationist theory for atheists?
Just because it was originally thought up by a religious person doesn't mean we haven't observed it with science. Retard.

>> No.10008499
File: 42 KB, 480x719, TRINITY___AryanRomanCatholicOil_TheKingJew2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10008498
>we haven't observed it with science.
the surface of last scattering means that we haven't observed the big bang, even indirectly.

>> No.10008537

It flares up from time to time. I remember a time when /sci/ was literally NOTHING but threads about god/atheism, with a handful of climate change denial threads thrown in. Those were dark days

>> No.10008589

>>10007610
that image needs the weed line replaced with something like "IT WAS HER TURN!". Unless you think the gov should be able to tell people what they can and can't put in their own bodies?

>> No.10008837
File: 47 KB, 450x450, 1272734610270.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10008589
>Unless you think the gov should be able to tell people what they can and can't put in their own bodies

>> No.10008977

>>10007464
which scientific studies demonstrate these claims? can someone itt cite the (apparently well-known) papers in prestigious journals that consider the general hypotheses that magic or miracles exist, review the scientific evidence for and against, and come to negative conclusions? genuinely curious