Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/sci/ - Science & Math

Search:


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
>> No.11980973 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11980973

>>11980851
>the universal laws of reality and nature as science has discovered them
>primordial/universal rules of our universe known so far

If you're looking for universal truths, then the math department is down the hall. Science is about making models that are "good enough".

>> No.11295114 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11295114

>>11290572
No, math is about truth; science is about guesstimations.

>inB4 trigger normies and fedoras who think science == fact

>> No.10832141 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10832141

>>10832109

>> No.10739645 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10739645

>>10739629
>memorizing
You're doing it wrong. You should be understanding the material, not cramming it into memory. If you want to blindly memorize shit, switch to biology.
>and checking truths
The only truths are in the mathematics departments. Drop your physics course and pick up baby Rudin.
>is all about using geometry
Are you in the 9th grade?

>> No.10719669 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10719669

>>10717969
Only reddit thinks that way. /sci/ knows that mathematics is the only way to certain truth. Science is just an ad hoc first order Taylor series approximation of the truth.

>> No.10602761 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10602761

>>10602280

>> No.10507815 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10507815

>>10506354
>I believe in science
Too broad, I tentatively believe in certain well substantiated scientific ideas
>scientific results can't be proved
correct
>tested again and again
running the same faulty test repeatedly means nothing
>if you don't believe in them, I have a high-voltage cattle prod I'm willing to apply as an argument on their behalf
And if you don't believe in phlogistons, I have a red-hot branding iron I'm willing to apply as an argument on their behalf :^)
>Science cannot prove anything, so it is useless
Models nigger, use them

>> No.10398116 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10398116

>>10398047
>1) Most supernatural claims are, at least partially, about our own universe.

Yeah, by messing with the universe. What you're being hung up on is the uncertainty of the cause as "the universe just happens to naturally fuck up from time to time" and "something is purposely fucking with the universe" are indistinguishable. This is no different from the old philosophical dilemma of whether I am typing a message right now or I'm just hitting random keys that just happens to form a coherent message. It all comes down to what you personally find more plausible as the certainty needed to determine it is impossible to obtain.

>2) Any claims about things totally outside our universe have neither evidence nor relevance.

Not an argument that they don't exist. But a good argument not to care.

>> No.10295607 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10295607

>>10295598
>science is objective and doesn't care about your feeeeeelings

No, that's mathematics. And even then, what's interesting and worthy of being published is subjective.

>> No.10179166 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10179166

>>10177044
Only in mathematics.

>> No.10159821 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10159821

>>10159773
>plasticized the definition of what people mean by truth
Truth means truth, period. And it exists only in mathematics departments.
>doesn't have a better method to judge truth
If it's not a mathematical proof, it's not truth. Science is not in the business of judging truth but models. Which are all wrong, but some of them are useful.
>Go back to sunday school, kid.
Stop projecting religion onto everything. Political groups love to stamp their shit with "science" for credibility.

>> No.10153504 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10153504

>>10150600
>is math not part of science?

Because it teaches objective truth.

>inB4 triggered fedoras

>> No.10146342 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10146342

>>10146321
>And your argument is?
There's no such thing as proving things beyond a shadow of a doubt outside of axiomatic mathematics. You can always come up with a counter argument otherwise. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHcZciihJw
>You mean nothing it is just empty jibberish you come up with. Looks like you live in a paranormal existence to.
You're just name calling here.
>Where nothing exists and everything exists anyway
False dichotomy much? I'm just saying arguments exist on both sides of every issue. You might not like them or be convinced by them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Everything always comes down to making personal judgement calls of what you go with.
>Every fucking fable. Urban stories are not real they come from peoples imagination.
Why are you bring up stories? And why are you unilaterally dismissing them all?
>And for you they are not good for you because you actually believe in it
I don't understand why you are projecting that.
>I suggest you go see a doctor. Take ur fucking meds moron.
For what? You've been rambling incoherently for the past few sentences. Stop taking whatever drugs you're on.

>> No.10098584 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10098584

>>10095343
Nothing in life is certain

>> No.10059615 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10059615

>>10059609
Science is 100% belief, retard. The only objective facts are in a math class.

>> No.9944296 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9944296

>>9944177
>Like how do you get around the Uniformity Principle
>"The uniformity of nature is the principle that the course of nature continues uniformly the same, e.g. if X is the cause Y, then Y will necessarily exist whenever X exists. In particular, the uniformities observed in the past will hold for the present and future as well."
>http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/courses/modern05/Hume_on_empirical_reasoning.pdf

That's just bullshit philosophers pull out of their asses. Say X decays into Y; just because you have X doesn't mean you have any decay products (yet). But if you have X, there is a strong probability that you will have Y that grows with passing time.

>but muh autism demands certainty in all things

You're in the wrong field m8.

>> No.9588350 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9588350

>>9588325
>everything else can be explained and proven by scientific methods
>explained and proven by scientific methods
>explained
>proven
>scientific methods
>everything

Stop reading popsci for fuck's sake.

>> No.9582626 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9582626

>>9582616

>> No.9481432 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9481432

>>9479837
>The most patrician sci thing is a degree in pure math + minor in philosophy or double major

No, it's pure math + minor/major in catholic/orthodox theology. They're the only subjects that deal with certain truths.

>> No.9453577 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9453577

>>9451011
Mathematics is the only truth. Everything else is a belief.

>> No.9450293 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9450293

>>9450268
>Thinks there is certainty anywhere outside of the field of mathematics
>t. brainlet

>> No.9333936 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9333936

>>9333887
You can't prove nuffin' (outside of mathematics) is basic philosophy 101. You can always come up with an argument against any assertion/evidence/proof casting a shadow of a doubt on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHcZciihJw

>> No.9321550 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9321550

>>9321540
>certain of truth

That only exists in mathematics and mathematics alone.

>> No.8913680 [View]
File: 55 KB, 740x312, certainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8913680

>>8913669



Navigation
View posts [+24] [+48] [+96]