[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 316x320, c17201.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
995142 No.995142 [Reply] [Original]

thoughts on this series? I'm thinking about trying it just for a fun read.

>> No.995155

I got sick of it after like, the third book.
It's just the same thing over and over and over again. Creepy guy gets defeated at end of previous book, appears as new guy with a disguise, kids are skeptical but no one believes, tries to make bad things happen, kids are victorious. Boring. Read it when my brother was like 10.

>> No.995165

Awesome childrens book. Features some quite excellent dark humour, particularly in the later books. I don't know if a grown dude could get into it.

>> No.995166

I enjoyed them when I read them, but the last book sucked.

>> No.995172

I remember reading them and htinking they were pretty entertaining. I was about 12 years old
You can finish the whole series tonight. seriously

>> No.995175

What books are these again?

>> No.995177

for childrens novels theyre pretty dark. but yeah definitely read them.

>> No.995178

>>995175
A Series of Unfortunate Events

>> No.995190

>>995155

I hate action novels. Protag always wins until the end where he will either win there or there will be a turn for the worst and he loses.

I hate Romance novels, the girl is always elusive and then they get together, have a falling out, and get together again (for reals this time).

I hate horror novels, the monster always kills people and then he either dies or, if the author wants to try and scare you, he lives.

Just because it is used many times does not really make it a bad thing. I mean these ARE children's books for fuck's sake.

And OP I think they are some of the best books for children we have right now.

>> No.995194

>>995190

Those are all examples of things that are bad

>> No.995206

>>995190
No, it's the fact that it's a repetitive plot line with a few elements changed that bored me. I never told the OP the books were bad or that they shouldn't read them. They asked for thoughts, and those were my thoughts. I'll try not to be observant or have opinions anymore, if that helps you out in the future.

>> No.995212

>>995190

>The monster either dies or lives

what?