[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 325x500, Lunar Park.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
995057 No.995057 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone got anything like this book? Apparently it was an homage to Stephen King so I looked at his stuff but I can't find anything like this w/horror elements, a few seemingly unrelated plot-threads that eventually connect and a sense of mstery

>> No.995089

>Ellis wrote an homage to King
>trolls trolling trolls
mind = blown.

In all seriousness though that is really surprising, but makes a lot of sense when you read the book. I don't remember him mentioning that in the little intro/prologue or anything in the book, where did you hear this?

>> No.995098

>>995089
From Wikipedia, and I believe it was cited. It's on the book's page if you look it up. Have you read anything like it that I might enjoy?

>> No.995103

>>995089

I heard it from my butt as I was pulling it out of there.

>> No.995147

I remember the plot being pretty narrow and linear, really. The missing kids, the weird shit in the house, his dad's ghost or whatever and that's about it.
The connection I see to King was the stylistic mode of suspense and the way it was psychological horror because it's basically your home, life, security, psyche, etc getting fucked up by forces you don't and can't understand., which is a pretty common theme in a majority of King's works, in fact one of his biggest tricks as a writer. He's not great at making a horror story, he's great at making a horror story that relates to people's own personal sense of fear. I mean, look at the difference between something like Gerald's Game or Desperation or IT or even Cujo... and then compare to his works that aren't so definitively horror/suspense.
I mean, honestly, I'd just suggest Stephen King to you, now. Gerald's Game is a good creepy one. Also The Regulators and Desperation were two of his best Bachman full novels. His short stories are really some of his best stuff.