[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 47 KB, 736x414, Koala.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9907170 No.9907170 [Reply] [Original]

>tfw you study enough to realize that ~92% of what normalfags say about life is the truth
>tfw you realize that just being a generally solid dude with good moral values and a good social circle is worth infinitely more than any amount of interesting knowledge or intelligence

>> No.9907177

You stole my 2d koala, bitch!

>> No.9907184

>>9907170
>get girlfriend
>get job
>do some athletic shit
>ALSO have higher-brow intellectual and aesthetic interests
>...?
>Profit
>...?
>AND prophet

>> No.9907203

>>9907184
>just do it all B R O energy and motivation is limitless and you have more than 24 hours daily just D O I T

>> No.9907216
File: 588 KB, 1280x964, 1501380075684.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9907170
>tfw stupid irish father who used to only read the news, but a lot of it, while remaining quite right wing -- all in all, a hard working typical baby boomer
>tfw whole family used to joke he was an idiot how he would exhibit a stunning lack of common sense, would blurt out the wrong things if he had to discipline someone, would make inane jokes, once wrote a poem about a tree so poor that I was asked to correct it for spelling mistakes
>tfw you grow older and he dies
>and now, you remember all the small thing he would do, how once he slapped your back with his huge strong hands for giving your last penny to a homeless man, how, as a child, you would always be asleep by the tame he came home from work, and how he would wake up at the crack of dawn to make your mother breakfast and excercise, they way he could drink but not be drunk, and the warmth of a room he could fill a room with laughter, talking with children like a child and with adults like a man, and the deep green glow in his eyes that nature gave him, the happy, wise innocence that he always quietly exuded and silently taught
>tfw he had no fucking idea what life was about, and made peace with that, in smiles and his own values, simply and directly
>tfw he achieved eudaimonia as a man who was probably too dyslexic to read beyond 8th grade

>> No.9907220

>>9907170
How long will that last, OP? Satisfying and workable for the first quarter of your life, maybe. And you forget, not everyone can be 'generally solid'. I also think your attitude toward 'good moral values' could use a good dose of Christian guilt and solemnity. Being anything resembling a consistently good person takes a lot of effort and struggle, and is not a flippant, lukewarm affair.

Anyway, why not both? It's not like intelligence and knowledge compromise your ability to have a good social existence. Maybe they're associated with other things that do, some afflictions sometimes comorbid with them, which you may be mistaking for effects of the thing itself.

>> No.9907225

>>9907216
God I fucked that up. Maybe I'm the dyslexic.

>> No.9907245

I hate wise men because they are lazy, cowardly, and prudent. To the philosophers' equanimity, which makes them indifferent to both pleasure and pain, I prefer devouring passions. The sage knows neither the tragedy of passion, nor the fear of death, nor risk and enthusiasm, nor barbaric, grotesque, or sublime heroism. He talks in proverbs and gives advice. He does not live, feel, desire, wait for anything. He levels down all the incongruities of life and then suffers the consequences. So much more complex is the man who suffers from limitless anxiety. The wise man's life is empty and sterile, for it is free from contradiction and despair. An existence full of irreconcilable contradictions is so much richer and creative. The wise man's resignation springs from inner void, not inner fire. I would rather die of fire than of void.

>> No.9907290

>>9907216
>>9907225
Its normal to be self-conscious about such a tender post anon, the spelling won't matter to anyone else though.

My grandfather died a few days ago. He was in his 90s and had Alzheimers, and I regret, maybe too conceitedly, the way people in my family, loving as we were, treated him as a bit of an oaf and a fool. I can't imagine what it was like to live the life he did. He was so erudite and articulate before his dementia set in apparently, though I never really got to know him that way. All I knew was the silly old man who mumbled words, said embarrassing things and would close his eyes and conduct with his hands if you played classical music for him. I remember a framed sketch he had of Goethe, and all his busts and books of Churchill.

>> No.9907313

>>9907220
Thats what existentialism is all about. Its about action, not solid contemplation. Although thats not bad in of it self. But those rotten nihilist in their NEET solitude who in their existential depression do not see a purpose or point of life, you are not gonna find it in your books. You are gonna find it in your personal struggle in your personal life. Who knows what would have happened if you had taken upon your self the mission of sorting out your personal relationships and all that bad karma in your life that you are both the receiver and creator of and being a moral upstanding guy.

People are simple creatures with simple needs (although there are individual differences in temper and traits), and if you get your needs covered chances are that you are gonna be somewhat happy or at least content instead of bitter and depressed. If you as an animal can get resources, secure a mate, get some social status and all that, its gonna have positive effects on your hormonal and chemical systems and you are gonna feel good.

Get your shit in order in life and maybe its not that bad at all. The real challenge of life is not letting the shit get you corrupt and resentful. I wish someone would have told me this years ago.

>> No.9907347

>>9907203
nobody likes to hear excuses

>> No.9907503

>>9907170
>just being a generally solid dude with good moral values and a good social circle
that's all positively correlated with intelligence though.
if what you're saying is that intelligence (and some superficial understanding of philosophy, literature or whatever) ALONE isn't sufficient for living a good life then yeah, this is obviously the case.

>> No.9907883

>>9907313
Oh ok you just binged Jordan Peterson.

>> No.9908484

>>9907216
nice prose