Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 95 KB, 309x475, 30659.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868077 No.9868077 [Reply] [Original]

What does stoicism offer?

>> No.9868079

>>9868077
Peace and quiet

>> No.9868083

self-tyranny

>> No.9868087

>>9868083
elaborate please

>> No.9868096

freedom

>>9868083
go to be Friedrich

>> No.9868107
File: 33 KB, 313x424, epicuckious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868107

>>9868077
Reddit

>> No.9868114

>>9868077
Reminder Marcus Aurelius was an infamous cuckold, the laugh of all of Rome as his wife got railed while he wrote his nu-male philosophy

>> No.9868121
File: 577 KB, 1386x1976, James_Stockdale_Formal_Portrait.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868121

>>9868107
>>9868114
>bunch of 4chan virgins talking shit about stoicism

pic related, 1000 times more man than you ever will be

>> No.9868128

>>9868121
I don't know who he is but I guarantee if you looked into it he was a cuckold

>> No.9868137

>>9868128
truly compelling stuff

tell me more about how posting on 4chan for 12 hours a day has turned you into a drooling shitposter who can only utter the words "cuck" and "reddit"

>> No.9868151 [SPOILER] 
File: 25 KB, 310x310, 1502280088553.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868151

>>9868137
lol don't get mad dude, I thought you're a stoic
If you don't like this website I know the perfect place for you

>> No.9868169

>>9868077
Don't expect much from Aurelius.

>Everything is fate so don't ever be sad
>Everyone dies soon but that's fate so it's okay

>> No.9868171
File: 414 KB, 1464x1337, b2QDixN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868171

The ancient equivalent of /r9k/'s blackpill mostly desu.

>> No.9868176

>>9868114
You mean when he wrote extraordinary philosophical treatises while fighting barbarians at the border and managing a whole fucking empire?

>> No.9868183

>>9868176
And for all that he was a joke because his wife was fucking Chadanus the whole time

>> No.9868189

>>9868183
How would that harm him? He played his part as he should. It is his wife and her lover that lose their virtue, so it's them to are damaged.

t. Epictetus

>> No.9868191
File: 405 KB, 1200x843, houellebecq3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868191

>>9868171
Nah thats the cynics and from there the later philosophic pessimists.
Stoics are too naive to be blackpilled, they're just cucks who accept their cuckoldry both in wageslaving and their love life

>> No.9868195
File: 109 KB, 900x900, ae0601b8d3c25538df4e35d114890d712e3a94c4c18d9e693caad33325b80319.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868195

>>9868189
>How would that harm him? He played his part as he should. It is his wife and her lover that lose their virtue, so it's them to are damaged.

Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy

>> No.9868200

>>9868191
The Cynics founded Stoicism though.

>> No.9868207

>>9868200
Totally wrong, they're radically incompatible. Stoicism at best can be claimed to be a degeneratively influenced by Cynicism.
The difference between the two fields is that Cynicism proposes that in short of an actual rational basis for the justification of action the pleasure principal is the only legitimate motive. The Stoics follow their spooky frankenstein of "virtue" ethics erroniously believing they are transcending the pleasure principal itself.
They couldn't be further opposed.

>> No.9868208

>>9868195
>I am a man
>I perform my role as a man properly
>she is a wife
>she fails to perform her role as a wife properly
>I am damaged

Literally how? I just find a new woman. My old wife and her lover live on knowing that they committed sacrilege. They sinned against the family, the neighbor, the city, the nation, and god. I, on the other hand, remain in peace.

>> No.9868216
File: 159 KB, 950x895, louis-ck-made-500000-four-days-after-taking-big-risk-selling-his-new-special-only-5-making.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868216

>>9868208
>literally just hands his wife to chad and waddles off trying to hold back his tears
>I-I didn't want her anyway

>> No.9868221

>>9868216
That is not what I said at all, though.

>> No.9868223

>>9868114
did his wife get deep dicked by a black african Negus ?

>> No.9868224

>>9868216
lol you are a dumbo.

>> No.9868267

>>9868207
Cynicism greatly influenced Stoicism up until the late Hellenistic period. Seneca and Epictetus cite Diogenes as a great example of a wise person, right there next to Socrates. And of course Stoics would praise simplicity of their lifestyle. Epictetus even implies such asceticism is in a way ideal for one pursing Stoicism.
Read Epictetus' discourse III:22.

>> No.9868285

>>9868267
Yeah like I said, they look up to Cynics but they're too spooked to shit to even be considered in the legacy of its school

>> No.9868303

>>9868285
The Cynics are just Super Stoics.

>> No.9868307

>>9868303
>They're just stoics if you take away literally everything that defines stoicism

>> No.9868349

>>9868307
Explain.

>> No.9868355

>>9868307
What? They both emphasise:
>living with virtue
>living in accord with nature
>clarity of thought
>rejecting conventional desires like money, sex, reputation
>simple life
>divine providence

Cynics push it to extremes and literally live with nothing but a piece of clothing, basically.

>> No.9868363

>>9868307
>Likes Cynicism
>Hates Stoicism
>Doesn't understand the two are extremely similar.
>Doesn't understand either doctrine.

>> No.9868367

>>9868121
>more of man
spooked as fuck

>> No.9868375

>>9868216
Would you please stop?

>> No.9868381

>>9868077

It offers nothing by itself. It can open your eyes to what is already within your soul.

>> No.9868426

>>9868381
What more do you need?

>> No.9868432
File: 232 KB, 834x1285, Waterhouse-Diogenes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868432

>>9868355
>What? They both emphasise:
>>living with virtue
>>living in accord with nature
>>rejecting conventional desires like money, sex, reputation
>>simple life
Absolutely wrong, Diogenese lived in a bathtub not a cave, if he lived like an animal it was through organic coincidence not because he strived towards living according to nature, thats a significant difference.
Again you're failing to recognize how tremendously opposed the schools are, a Cynic would find any of these things laughable as a desirable "virtue". If they ever allign with them it is through abritrary circumstancial chance not through intent. I would go as far to say a Cynic is the direct antithesis of a Stoic.

>> No.9868437

>>9868432
Please stop embarrassing yourself.

>> No.9868438

>>9868077
stoas

>> No.9868441

>>9868432
you really dont know what stoicism is my friend

>> No.9868442

>>9868432
I don't think you understand what Stoics and Cynics mean by living in accord with nature. Please stop posting.

>> No.9868465
File: 23 KB, 600x484, c4a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868465

>>9868437
>>9868441
>>9868442
>Durr no yer wrong but I don't have any arguments why

Your group think might be convincing on reddit but you got nothing here

>> No.9868473

>>9868367
Hello Stirnerfag who has nothing to contribute.

>> No.9868490

>>9868465
You think Stoic/Cynic striving to live in accord with nature means living like an animal. You think Stoics/Cynics saw no virtue in living in accord with nature. You think Cynics never influenced Stoics to a greater degree. You are refusing to accept the similarities between the two schools, and your arguments for it is nonsensical because it shows you lack understanding of both schools you are trying to criticise. That's why it's pointless for anyone to continue talking to you.

>> No.9868500

>>9868465
what stoic books have you read?

>> No.9868508
File: 86 KB, 600x480, Bastein-Lepage_Diogenes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868508

>>9868490
Objectively wrong again. What I said is that Diogenes quite literally did live like an animal but that he did so merely because it felt good (or least painful) to do so not because he saw any virtue in living according with nature, which is simply an illfounded sentimentality which the Stoics were built upon while the Cynics were radically opposed to.
Again this is the radical difference between the two.

>> No.9868520

>>9868500
All of them

>> No.9868527

>>9868520
Then why haven't you got at least the basic understanding of them?

>> No.9868530

>>9868527
I do, I just know them better than you do

>> No.9868533

>>9868530
BTFO

>> No.9868544

>>9868530
Apparently not, since you post this:
>>9868508
>>9868465
>>9868432


>>9868508
>Diogenes quite literally did live like an animal but that he did so merely because it felt good (or least painful) to do so not because he saw any virtue in living according with nature
Let's say this is true. It still doesn't change the Cynic doctrine that was built on Diogenes' teachings and lifestyle... the doctrine which claims living in accord with nature is something to strive for.

You know, such life is something that is literally a job/calling appointed to you by Zeus, who's made you the watcher of all people and their souls, and their guide. And living as Zeus/Providence/Logos commands is the ultimate virtue, because that is what it means living in accord with nature.

>> No.9868577
File: 27 KB, 504x415, myt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868577

>>9868432
>not because he strived towards living according to nature


>Foremost for understanding the Cynic conception of ethics is that virtue is a life lived in accord with nature. Nature offers the clearest indication of how to live the good life, which is characterized by reason, self-sufficiency, and freedom.

>The primacy of ethics, the sufficiency of virtue for happiness, the cultivation of indifference to external affairs, the definition of virtue as living in accord with nature, and the importance placed on ask─ôsis, all mark the shared terrain between the Cynics and the Stoics.

>They are not similar, though

>> No.9868579
File: 121 KB, 400x400, 0769a2633931fea39d887e532afd3a4c.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868579

>>9868544
>he unironically believes Zeus exists

>> No.9868592
File: 86 KB, 590x1000, Epicurus_bust2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9868592

>> No.9868624

>>9868077
>Is your child dead? It is returned. Is your wife dead? She is returned.

>> No.9868636

>>9868624
Returned to what?

>> No.9868655

>>9868624
Nature

>> No.9868658

>>9868636
>With regard to whatever objects give you delight, are useful, or are deeply loved, remember to tell yourself of what general nature they are, beginning from the most insignificant things. If, for example, you are fond of a specific ceramic cup, remind yourself that it is only ceramic cups in general of which you are fond. Then, if it breaks, you will not be disturbed. If you kiss your child, or your wife, say that you only kiss things which are human, and thus you will not be disturbed if either of them dies. - Epictetus

>> No.9868661

>>9868432
>Thinks living in accord with nature means living in the bushes.
To The Stoics living in accord to nature means embracing your nature. That is to say that as a man our nature is to be a rational creature. Plebs...

>> No.9868710

>>9868077
Like many things in philosophy, self-reflection and sections of lifestyle that can be applied to oneself. Most people can gain something by reading stoics, to be a better individual, to be happier and stronger. They are relatively accessible and the average modern human (especially western) will be immediately appreciative of them. Almost none will actually adhere to any work or doctrine of it or call themselves a stoic. Which is a good thing. They derive benefit from it, for themselves, without becoming its subordinate.

>> No.9868731

>>9868508
Nah. He didn't live like an "animal", but with lucidity. He thought that human beings living according to nature was as rational creatures, their minds illuminated and not bogged down by worthless notions. i.e. he was the only one who could truly see.

The stoics lived according to nature also, but they extended the rational human being argument to include civic duties and structure, like Aristotle, which was why it was so popular among the Romans. The aristocrats could rationalise their positions over the peasants; their rank in society was as the Logos dictated, after all.

>> No.9868737

>>9868731
>but they extended the rational human being argument to include civic duties and structure

In other words the very worthless notions the Cynics operated against. This is where there is no compatibility

>> No.9868751

>>9868658
>If, for example, you are fond of a specific ceramic cup, remind yourself that it is only ceramic cups in general of which you are fond.

But that's idiotic.

>> No.9868877

>>9868077
it's buddhism for people who don't want to put in work

>> No.9869368

hedonism for cuckolds

>> No.9869687

>>9868077
Enigma entails manipulation of the cum.

>> No.9869700

>>9868579
Stoics use the word Zeus interchangeably with Logos.

>> No.9869706

>>9868737
How obtuse can you be?

>> No.9869718

>>9868216
If this is the best you can do fuck off retard.

>> No.9870952
File: 405 KB, 2064x509, temp chad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9870952

>>9868077
VIRGINITY

>> No.9870990

>>9870952
Beautiful

>> No.9871005

>>9868151
>thought you're a stoic
lmfao

>> No.9871104

>>9868737
Yeah that specific point is incompatible, but it's only their interpretations of "living in accordance with nature" that are opposites. Their reasoning leading up to that point is very similar, right up until their understanding of a human being's nature.

>They both entrusted their lives to the Logos.
>They both saw "things", like clothes and food for what they were.
>They both stopped themselves from becoming too invested into "Earthly" matters and people.
They just interpreted the last point differently. Both Cynics and Stoics thought they should help their fellow man; this mission just manifested itself in different ways.
>Cynics: Tried to illuminate the minds of others into lucidity.
>Roman Stoics: Participated in civil society.

>> No.9871990

>>9871104
The guy here >>9868737 doesn't realise that the Cynic calling was thought to be greatest civic duty in the Universal City, and he doesn't realise that the Cynic does not need to perform civic duties simply because he already performs a much bigger duty for all of mankind.

That was the idea, at least.

>> No.9872259
File: 154 KB, 800x1126, virginmaryangels.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9872259

>>9868077
A gateway into Christianity

>> No.9872267

>>9868083
you have to be a slave before you can be free, anon

>> No.9872371

>>9872259
I like it how early Christians tried to prove that Seneca was a Christians and that he hanged out with Peter or something like that.

>> No.9872392

Nothing, it's philosophy for the lame.
>>9868121
>IM A REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL MAN
I am more than Man.
>>9868189
Virtue doesn't exist. His part was to be a massive tool pretending to be something more.
>>9868208
>MUH ROLES
Absolutely slavish
>>9868661
'nature' does not exist.

>> No.9872399
File: 46 KB, 480x853, 1502110063256.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9872399

>>9872392
>I am more than Man.
>slavish
>virtues don't exist

>> No.9872405

>>9872399
epin

>> No.9872407

>>9868077
Common sense.

>> No.9872410

>>9872407
Common sense is a bad meme, take it back to /r/eddit

>> No.9872416

>>9872405
Tip that fedora elsewhere. I suggest /r/atheism. You will like it there.

>> No.9872420

>>9868077
Freedom from irrational fears and self destruction. It allows you to concentrate on things that you can actually fix.

>> No.9872424

>>9872416
I'm not an atheist
>>9872420
Stop deluding yourself, child.

>> No.9872431

>>9872424
>Stop deluding yourself, child.
I am 25 years old, software engineer with a hot girlfriend, two cars and a house. I used to be an agoraphobic NEET three years ago. I fixed myself with stoicism. Stop talking about things you don't understand.

>> No.9872440

>>9872431
>25
So, you're a child
>software engineer
Autistic STEMsperg
>hot girlfriend
Mate women aren't attractive past 15
>two cars
Oh wow so does my broke-ass mother
>house
I have two

You were better as a NEET, at least then you weren't deluding yourself that you were free of delusion. Absolute fucking tool.

>> No.9872443

>>9872440
>at least then you weren't deluding yourself that you were free of delusion.
Strawman

>> No.9872453

>>9872443
No, this actually describes every single stoic. A stoic is a tool who thinks he is free of delusion, when he is actually caught in more.

>> No.9872455

>>9868114
AHAHAHA

literally a coping philosophy for involuntary cuckolds

>She was believed to have had innumerable lovers from all levels of society. The historian Sextus Aurelius Victor wrote that she shamelessly cruised for sexual partners among the sailors who worked naked on the beaches of Campania in Italy! Senators as well as gladiators and pantomime actors were said to have been seduced by the Empress. It was believed by many that Commodus, who fought publicly as a gladiator when emperor, was fathered by a gladiator rather than by the dignified Marcus Aurelius. Faustina was rumored to have had an affair with her son-in-law, Lucius Verus, and to have been guilty of his murder.

>> No.9872458

>>9872455
B-BB-B-BUT YOU CANT CHANGE THAT SO JUST ACCEPT IT BECAUSE THEN YOURE VIRTUOUS AND FREE OF DELUSIONS AND FREE TO DO MORE IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE WRITE A DIARY

>> No.9872461

>>9872453
Explain

>> No.9872465

>>9872461
Well, for example: >>9872420
Also, you listed a whole lot of excessive junk, as if that is to impress me:>>9872431

Yet, you people think you are 'enlightened'.

>> No.9872478

>>9872465
You are making no sense. Excessive junk by what scale of measurement? 'Enlightened' is another strawman. And looking at your emotions and fears rationally has nothing to do with being deluded or not deluded.

You seem very uneducated.

>> No.9872482

>>9872478
>Rationality is good becuz i sed so
>UR DUMB BECUZ U DISAGREE WITH ME UR STUPID UNEDUCATED RETARD
>not delusions
This is what Letzte Mensch tell themselves.

There's a sewer under your porch, smelly teleiophile.

>> No.9872487

>>9872478
How porchfaggots respond to ANY real criticism of their dogma:
>UR FUCKIN STUPID UNEDUCATED DONT EVEN FUCKIN READ FUCKIN FUCKIN FUCK MY WIFE
They then proceed to pretend that they're enlightened.

>> No.9872491

>>9872392
>>9872410
>>9872455
>>9872458
Samefag.

What is it about mentioning morals, god, and rules, even when objectively discussing something, that triggers fedoras so bad?

>> No.9872493

>>9872482
>>9872487
Why are you getting so angry? There is no reason to pull out the hurr durr greentexts and double posts.

I called you uneducated because your arguments are incoherent, not because you disagree with me. And I am not even sure you disagree with me in the first place, because your posts made no sense.

>> No.9872507

>>9872491
I'm Christian.
porchfaggots are the type to delude themselves into believing morality exists. No stoic today actually believes in any sort of deity but still falls for the ridiculous 'virtue' meme. Same with artistotle suckoffs.
>objective discussion
Doesn't exist, actual fedora.
>>9872493
>arguments are good because i sed so
>if i cant understand then UR DUMB
I didn't realize porchfaggots were also ANAL y autisTIC. Yes child, I'm the uneducated one. Not you, the lover of children's philosophy and the one incapable of reading past the surface.

Aren't you going to brag about all your material garbage that you claim to denounce and that whore haggard girlfriend that is taking wood on the side? Oh wait you can't change that HAHAHA

>> No.9872527

>>9872507
>calls someone a slave for believing in morals, god, and rules
>yet claims he is a Christian

>bashes Stoicism
>yet Christians love Stoicism (See Dante, Thadeus, early Christians...)

>claims to be Christian
>thinks morality doesn't exist

>claims to be Christian
>gets triggered this hard, is filled with anger, treats his fellow man with scorn

>assumes no one believes in a god just because they are a Stoic, even though being a Stoic implies believing in the divine

>calls someone a child
>behaves like a total sperg, screeches, posts all in caps, greentexts incoherently like a five year old

Tell me, are you actually retarded or just pretending?
Probably just really, really assblasted and frustrated. Don't worry, you'll find philosophy too that will help you.

>> No.9872546

>>9872507
>all followers of an ideology subscribe to all tenants (good or bad) associated with such ideology
So this is where your strawmans come from.

>brag about all your material garbage
It seems you didn't understand that listing those was an example of overcoming negatively perceived emotional complexes that prevented me from getting the things I have listed. It was a demonstration of effective progress through the process.

Whether these things are desirable or not is subjective. And since, like you said, there is no deity handing out objective criteria to judge virtue on, it is entirely up to the individual to decide what is virtuous or not for themselves. This is not a classic stoic line of thought, but if you would take the head out of the sand for more than 5 seconds then you might notice that people aren't 100% carbon copies of your simple minded strawman versions of people who are associated with labels such as 'stoic'.

>> No.9872559

>>9872527
>
Morality is a human construct, God is not moral. Morality is a lame humanist excuse to be a heretic.
>
None of those people are Christians. Stoicism is antithetical to Christianity. They're pagans LARPing as Christians.
>
Already handled
>
Rejecting emotion is for porchfaggots and gnostics. You're also assuming I'm angry or even upset, which is plain wrong. You're also presuming you know how I behave regularly, which is plain wrong.
>
Stoics believe in a god just as much as LeVeyaners believe in Satan or Peterson believes in God. No, you pretend to but just merely believe in a semantic god. You're object of praise is a delusion of language.
>
You don't seem to understand my rhetoric. Wow you're so enlightened.

Yes porchfaggot I'm retarded not you
>Don't worry, you'll find philosophy too that will help you.
Ressentiment. You aren't helped, you're sinking.
>>9872546
>ANYTHING I DONT LIKE IS A STRAWMAN
>It seems you didn't understand that listing those was an example of overcoming negatively perceived emotional complexes
Keep telling yourself that.
>It was a demonstration of effective progress through the process.
Objects of delusion aren't 'progress'. You've changed nothing.
Stoicism doesn't function without a deity, you tool. The entirety of its ethics supposes a deity. Why do porchfaggots overlook this?

Smelly teleiophile.

>> No.9872575

>>9872559
Progress is defined as movement from one state to another according to predefined criteria. Your opinion on whether something is progress or not is irrelevant.

Stoicism isn't just ethics. Your idea that every stoic needs to adopt all ideas associated with stoicism as a whole package is an actual delusion. One you should seriously get rid of if you want to improve your ability to reason.

>> No.9872588

Nothing. I am a simple datacuck, like many others on this board probably, and stoicism just amounts to postponed bouts of intense anguish.

>> No.9872625

>>9872559
>Morality is a human construct, God is not moral. Morality is a lame humanist excuse to be a heretic.
It seems like you are a heretic, believing god does not declare morals and that he is not the absolute good (which again implies morals).

>None of those people are Christians. Stoicism is antithetical to Christianity. They're pagans LARPing as Christians.
Except Thadeus was a literal monk, and an Elder... And Dante was a devout Catholic... Wow.

>Already handled
Wrongly.

>plain wrong
Your posts speak for you, man.

>Stoics believe in a god just as much as LeVeyaners believe in Satan
No, they actually, literally believed in god and Providence. That is one of the first things you learn when reading them.
Epictetus I.3
Epictetus I.6
Epictetus III.17
Epictetus III.22
Those are just a few.

>You don't seem to understand my rhetoric
By rhetoric you mean angry greentexting?


Also, regarding believing everything Stoics believed in: that is bad, and not a requirement to be a Stoic in a lot of cases. They believed Sun rays were literal beams that drew nourishment towards the sun to feed it (Epictetus III.23). Some believed virtue was a physical entity and debated it (Seneca, EMAL: 113) . Would you believe that, too? No. That would be idiotic.

Belief in good is a must, on the other hand, because it's the core of their ideology.

>> No.9872814

>>9872625
I'd believe the sun rays were nourishment beams. In fact I DO believe it. You've opened my eyes anon, thank you!

>> No.9872827

>>9872625
The difference is morality in the classical-humanist fashion implies that moral action can exist and be deduced merely through the immediate consequences of the acts. Infact the Greeks would say that the Gods were subservient to the Logos.
In the Christian sense, ethics can only be constituted from God, there is no possible ethics without reference to God. Infact there is not even a Logos without God, his love is the only thing through which we can ascribe anything a moral character.

>> No.9872857
File: 776 KB, 590x583, thanks miss skeltal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9872857

>>9868083
This, based on an arbitrary conception of virtue.

Basically devoting your life to strictly serving a random meme.

>> No.9872873

>>9872827
>In the Christian sense, ethics can only be constituted from God, there is no possible ethics without reference to God. Infact there is not even a Logos without God, his love is the only thing through which we can ascribe anything a moral character.
Is that not what I wanted to say, though?

>>9872857
>Basically devoting your life to strictly serving a random meme.
Can't we say the same about following any doctrine?

>> No.9873349
File: 135 KB, 1600x1200, 1489095858253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9873349

>>9872827
christians and anybody who is not liberal talk about moral, not about ethics and ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''values''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

>> No.9873543

>>9872440
Women aren't attractive past 13

>> No.9873979

>>9873543
>>9872440
kys pedos.

>> No.9874397

>>9872575
Holy fucking shit, you actually are illiterate
STOIC ETHICS ARE THE BASIS OF EVERYTHING ELSE, AND YOU NEED TO ACCEPT STOIC METAPHYSICS TO ACCEPT STOIC ETHICS VALIDLY
>reason
Sorry! I don't care about a disgusting grEEK meme!

>> No.9874405

>>9872625
Sorry idiot, God declares what is good, but morality is not what is good. Are all of you porchfaggots illiterate?
>
Just because they claim to be religious doesn't mean they are, porchfaggot
>
>
Psychobabble
>
Contemporary stoics, you illiterate porchfaggot.
>Belief in good is a must, on the other hand, because it's the core of their ideology.
THIS PRESUMES THE METAPHYSICAL EXISTENCE OF 'THE GOOD'. A THEISTIC STANCE. YOU DO NOT HOLD THIS STANCE YOU ARE NOT 'STOIC'.
>>9873543
No, but they can peak there.
>>9873979
>porchfaggots
Don't you worship pederasts?

>> No.9875525

>>9872371
They also made bootleg copies of Epictetus's writings with St. Peter as the author

>> No.9876833

>>9874405
Man how can you not see stoicism is a good philosophy from gems such as "be a good guy becus then you wont break law" or "dont be sad because only u make urself sad buddy"?

You're spot on dude, fuck stoicism and FUCK anyone who tries to imply they have anything in common with christianity without understanding that the whole point of christianity is about telling all the fucking idiots rejecting the body and the world like stoics or buddhists that they're fucking retarded heretics.

>> No.9877034

>>9868658
Is he seriously claiming that fooling yourself into believing that people don't have attachments to specific things is some sort of virtue? Maybe if you went through some major trauma or never had any friends or something, sure, you'd tell yourself that so you wouldn't have to make yourself go through it again, but that's just masking your heart and will create bitterness and anger that will stew and build pressure until you explode on the first person that even slightly inconveniences you.

>> No.9877047

>>9874405
Neck yourself, you """"christian"""" paedophile degenerate.

>> No.9877052

>>9875525
But this guy >>9874405 tells me Stoics and Christians have no similarities... Hmm... Whom do I believe?

>> No.9877056

>>9877034
>Maybe if you went through some major trauma or never had any friends or something, sure

Or got cucked.
Stoicism makes perfect sense once you realize its at its heart a cuck-philosophy

>> No.9877260

>>9877034
>Is he seriously claiming that fooling yourself into believing that people don't have attachments to specific things is some sort of virtue?
Isn't he saying that you should see things for what they are?

>> No.9877263

>>9872431
is that supposed to be impressive ?
you being some autistic, code pissing sperg with some ugly hambeast and some shitty mediocre life

>> No.9877265
File: 118 KB, 294x371, cunt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9877265

>>9877260
Disassociation is an arbitrary framing of phenomena, not what they "really are"
Only thing worse than those who don't start with the Greeks are those that don't move on from them

>> No.9877280

>>9872431
While I agree that the other dude is a sperg, you're being a retarded Stoic-lite.

"Dude Ryan Holiday's books made me work harder and more effectively, now I have a bunch of worldly things"

Doing Stoicism without the virtue is just as banal and mediocre as being an agorapgobic NEET

>> No.9877517

>>9876833
>calling people retards
>christian

sure thing buddy

>> No.9877529
File: 24 KB, 324x450, 131500-004-4E3E4827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9877529

>>9877517
>says a fat NEET about by far the most productive intellectual tradition in history

>> No.9877544
File: 30 KB, 720x438, 1494739221895.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9877544

>cuck
>cuck
>*tips*
>cuck
>strawman
>slave
>chad
>spooks
>"""virtues"""
>cuck
>[sperging intensifies]
>""""Christianity""""
>yuck, grown up women!

This whole thread, wew!

>> No.9877554

>>9877529
Remember that bit in the bible where Christ starts calling all the scribes and pharisees triggered fags?

I'm not an atheist I just believe you're a sorry excuse for a Christian if you can be called one at all.

>> No.9877625

>>9877544
If stoicism wasn't a shit tier philosophy it would withstand ground level memes

>> No.9877805

>>9877625
I didn't say it didn't withstand them memes, I am saying they are laughable desu. In whatever context, not just Stoicism.

>> No.9878451

>>9877280
>Doing Stoicism without the virtue is just as banal and mediocre as being an agorapgobic NEET
Stoicism's value nowadays is not in the virtue, because one cannot seriously hope to connect to the virtues of the 2000 years old society. It will all be LARPing. But one can find a virtue of his own and combine it with stoic principles of how to relate yourself to the world.

>> No.9878603

>>9868077
>>9868079
is right, stoicism is pretty much a meme, but it's a comfy meme. too bad boethius was the epitome of, "my diary"

>> No.9878873

>>9868121
who is this semen demon?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action