[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 172 KB, 631x480, Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 1.17.58 pm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9798420 No.9798420 [Reply] [Original]

this made me think

>> No.9798439

>>9798420
davy... easy on the irony

>> No.9798510

>>9798420
One of the things that has turned me off DFW is his penchant for social commentary, or maybe the style in which he delivers it, but he knocks it out of the park right here. Sums up the boomer generation's childishness and unserious attitude toward art and how postmodernism was really just about rebellion and trashing western culture because the boomers were a brainwashed group of idiots that were disconnected from their past by mass media and told they were creating this new thing that turned out to be nothing more than self-destruction promoted by the jews. Is his social commentary usually this good?

>> No.9799902

>>9798510
His social commentary on literature and the state of art is usually insightful. His work is another matter but the man is worth lending an ear to otherwise.

>> No.9799911

>>9798420
Isn't this common sense? He's basically just clamouring for structure. Every human needs at least a bit of structure otherwise you just go off the deep end and can't get back.

>> No.9799919

mythology is not an argument

>> No.9799920

Basically what this is all about is everyone realising Christianity and all religion really is BS and no amount of wishing can bring "objective God given meaning" to your existence. Sitting in your underwear eating chocolate can be judged in an infinite number of ways.

You can form your own pseudo intellectual hierarchies all you want, it doesn't change the arbitrariness of all chosen axioms.

And of course lit is pathetic and tries to scoop up the remains of Christianity and sprinkle it everywhere to try and get its benefits ("DUDE, MY ALLUSION TO THE BIBLE GIVES MEANING LOL") without the corresponding sacrifices (including the sacrifice of knowing it's all BS while you do it).

>> No.9799921

>>9798510
He's generally got a good head on his shoulders when it comes to stuff like this. E Unibus Plurum was real good.

>> No.9799934

>>9798510
well enough said

why aren't we killing jews in the street?

>> No.9799949

>>9799920
>tip tip tip tip tip

>> No.9799955

>>9799949
*tips mitre*

>> No.9799967
File: 14 KB, 214x306, wallace.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"So my therapist recently advised me to "restrict" my self-awareness and take life "less seriously" to overcome my depression and existential crises. She thinks I lack the mental mechanism which prevents a young man from becoming too intelligent, too soon. I can't say I disagree, but I am also very hesitant to impose any restrictions on my intellect or the profound self-awareness it allows me to experience on a near-constant basis.Either I continue to be extremely intelligent, self-conscious, mentally liberated yet depressed or I resign myself to an extended period of intellectual mediocrity, willed ignorance and contentment. My therapist has been in the profession for some thirty years altogether, and she tells me that I am the only young person she has ever come across who struggles with such intense mental turmoil at such a young age. I told her I have always been a precocious individual but she insists that this isn't just a case of me being precocious, but rather a case (so she tells me) of me being so intelligent at such a young age that my brain has insufficient means, due to my neurobiology being underdeveloped for the type of thoughts and cognitive functioning I experience, that I am simply burdened by a kind of genius that it is almost impossible to bear without quote "burning out" or "falling to pieces". Needless to say she is very concerned (she treats me a little like a son, though I can't deny the fact that I've noticed a certain look in her eyes at times which suggests she is also attracted to me in an erotic sense) and has suggested that I take a break and either defer my studies for a year or become a voluntary patient at a mental health facility. But still, my native inclination is to avoid any triviality in life or any "easy going" form of philosophy which endorses physical pleasure over the riches of an organized and disciplined mental life. And this inclination is so powerful and my instincts to stubborn on this issue that I am afraid that it is unavoidable that I continue to be a genius and to suffer only as a genius is able to do, and I am consequently afraid that some form of breakdown is inevitable at this point."

-'Every Love Story Is A Ghost Story' p.96

>> No.9799980
File: 57 KB, 717x398, whitepony.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9799920
/lit/ liking Christianity is/was a reaction to the sizable amount of atheist culture that has been forming on the internet over the last several years. In true 4chan fashion, anons will do/pickup any belief, or back just about anything, just to be contrary to mainstream internet culture.

>> No.9799997

>>9799967
Fake and gay