[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 117 KB, 600x400, ok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9798103 No.9798103 [Reply] [Original]

Stop circlejerking over doorstopper maximalist pomo memes. This includes Gaddis (sorta), Gass, Pynchon, McElroy, Vollman, etc.

A lot of these authors have done interesting things with literature and have worthwhile things to say. This is predicated on their deep knowledge and connection with the western canon.

Most of you retards circlejerking these memes are college freshmen who consider themselves “intelligent” and decided “literature interests me” 6 months ago. You think reading these giant “difficult” novels proves something, to someone. You revel in fringe, obscure literature like McElroy because you confuse obscurity with intelligence and merit.

Read some Shakespeare. Get an appreciation for the classics. Learn to enjoy literature as literature and not as a signaling device (trust me, no one will be impressed by your pseud namedropping). Then, when you’re older and more ready, come back to these pomo memes. You’ll be a happier person.

>> No.9798126

>>9798103
Read some shake. Lmao you retarded faggot. I already all that shit. Why the fuck do you think I'm reading Gass, vollmann, coover, federman and the likes of those you mentioned. Kill yourself my man. Get back in the car hahaha.

>> No.9798130

>>9798103
shut the fuck up, you faggot. your underestimation of people betrays your own limitations.

>> No.9798134

>>9798126
>>9798130
you two sound like the kind of people who havent read harry potter

>> No.9798170

>>9798134
you're right. i don't read trash. i suppose you meant that as an insult, didn't you? christ. displaying your grotesque and limited cognition is making me wish to hurl.

>> No.9799478

>>9798103
I love these self-realization threads

>> No.9799859

>>9798130
To be fair, quite a few threads have been discussing DFW, Vollman and Pynchon in particular, and its mildly disconcerting that they all accept the greatness of those writers without question. Instead of critical discussion, we simply have everyone praising them without relief.