[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 228 KB, 1280x1069, tumblr_n21pd47bub1qflb92o1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9797457 No.9797457 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /lit/, I am new to this board.

I am in the middle of reading Nausea by Sartre and am enjoying it. I was wondering if anyone could rec me a book that is similar in style, but maybe takes place closer to the present? I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>> No.9797466

Nausea is a great book!

In a similar vein, you've heard of The Stranger by Camus, right?

If not, go get it and read it. You will probably enjoy it.

>> No.9797971

>>9797466
Ah, I read that a while ago, but now that you mention it, I will definitely pick it up again. It's been about 6 years. I'm sure it will move me differently. Thanks for the rec!

>> No.9799011

>>9797466
I refute Nausea being a great book. It is a failed philosophical novel. It has interesting insights but its execution is flawed because Sartre was not the greatest of writers. That does not mean you should discontinue reading it, but don't hold it up on a pedestal. The Stranger by Camus is better written as a philosophical novel. You may also want to try Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Have fun. The board can be terrible sometimes, but generally the threads are relevant to literature.