[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 452 KB, 1871x2560, 81a3oM3EcfL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9738109 No.9738109 [Reply] [Original]

Hi. I have read Infinite Jest a long time ago, and I don't remember many parts of it, so I just want to ask you a question about it, please:

Did the people from Infinite Jest had cellphones? It doesn't need to be as ours nowadays, but just portable phones which you could use just to call someone else at anyplace

>> No.9738130

>>9738109
i'm pretty sure the cellular phone is mentioned just once in the Orin background story which takes place in 1999-2000. It's described as large and chunky so clearly david kinda missed the boat on that part.
It's strange though that the videophony and the "new millennium's passion for standing live witness to things" sections were kinda on the money regarding the phenomenon surrounding social-media, in an analogous way however.

>> No.9738139

>>9738130
I still find it amazing the large amount of science fiction, dystopian and futuristic works from the XX Century that failed to predict the rise of cellphones and social networks