[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 251x242, annoyed_alien.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9711560 No.9711560[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

REEEE

I hate all the pseuds claiming I should read ten trillion boring as fuck "classic" books that they wouldn't give a fuck about if they were released today.

"""Intellectualism""" is the worst thing that ever happened to books. Philosophy is great. Literature is great. But FUCK stupid boring as fuck novels that people claim are """insightful""" but are actually boring as fuck, self-indulgent, preachy, petty, half assed tracts. Yes, I'm talking about Brothers Karamazov and Nicholas Nickleby, among many others. Wow, Dostoevsky is so fucking petty with some of his attacks. This is so hilariously small time (having a 6 year old pseudointellectual as a strawman; psychologist pseudointellectuals with conflicting views). And I even AGREE with Dostoevsky on those two...

Of course Dickens is right that child abusers are bad and some schools were bad, and he's probably right that ugly people are 100 % awful people (I know I am) but did we really need 770 pages of it? And a section where the main character insults people who make plays out of novels for money?

Damn... those books were so profound... really makes me reevaluate my outlook on life and the Hegelian ontology of the Indonesian puffer fish...

Only slightly less bad is history pissing contests. "Was Aristotle the first to talk about habits?" "Was Adam Smith the first to talk about division of labour?" Look, I just don't give a fuck. Stop telling me I need to read those boring as fuck books. Stop telling me I need to give a shit about Plato. The Republic was just one guy's views. And as soon as you read any of it and respond with anything other than, "omg Greatest genius of all time", the pseuds claim you don't understand it.

And of course I'll send you 10 bitcoin if you can find 1 (one) non-trivial statement by nietzsche. He was a Rorschach test for pseudo-intellectuals.