[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 251x242, annoyed_alien.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9706428 No.9706428 [Reply] [Original]

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/01/can_narcissism_be_cured.html

>DUDE JUST BE GOOD TO OTHERS LMAO

This was what every article was leading up to? What a load of crap.

>> No.9706597

Disagree, but thanks still for making me read more of this guy. I think he's a genius.

Narcissism a thing.

>> No.9707007
File: 361 KB, 760x1224, 1483464340643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>So what about the next generation, those under 25? If the problem was the unopposed influence of TV-- not the TV, per se, but the lack of opposing influence-- then the solution is some opposing influence.
>I am nervous about recommending "the Classics" because it sounds contrived and pretentious, but anything that has withstood the test of time and is not something that was created to be consumed by current narcissist adults is as good a place to start as any.
>Do the opposite of what the narcissists did. They wanted to know enough to fake it. They read just enough to use the book to build an identity, so they read about books, but not the actual books.
>If nothing else, reading will keep you out of trouble: every moment reading those books is a moment not doing something your current adults created for themselves that you're stuck with by default.
The cure for nihilism, narcissism, and homosexuality is apparently to just start with the Greeks. I'm sorry I ever doubted you /lit/.

>> No.9707634
File: 27 KB, 346x450, 194327-004-60511886.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>can narcissism be cured?

>> No.9707659

it's hilarious how fedora morality is nothing but half-baked Christianity rendered absurd by being separated from its eschatological origin

That's why I have more respect for the pagan larpers, they at least make an attempt to accept the world as it is. Big contrast from lisping faggot psychologists who's brains are so minor they can't educate themselves out of their moral conditioning. Edgelords figure this shit out in like 6th grade and yet Doctor Big Dick, Ph.D is too dumb to recognize the dissonance in his own thinking

JUST BE GOOD TO OTHERS LOL TREAT OTHER PEOPLE WHO YOU WANT TO BE TREATED OH BUT ALSO BY THE WAY THERE'S NO GOD LOL

>> No.9707734

>>9707659
>t. didn't read the OP article

>>9706428
t. didn't read the OP article

>> No.9707838

>>9706428

>DUDE JUST BE GOOD TO OTHERS LMAO

Isn't this the exact problem with narcissists and sociopaths. They have very little sense of empathy and will prey on people who help them. Thay are unwilling or simply unable to care for anyone other than themselves unless it benefits them via manipulation.

>> No.9707867
File: 114 KB, 1260x474, 1474563490124.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9707007
;__;

>> No.9707878

>>9707838

It's not that we have no empathy it's just that we value the aesthetic experience far more than the moral experience therefore we make decisions with a different set of priorities in mind.

>> No.9707882

>>9707007
WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN
WHY

>> No.9708122

>>9707838
>>9707878
TLP's point is not that we "need to feel more empathy with others" but that even thinking in this way is a trap. You don't need to feel empathy with someone whose dad just died, you just have to say, "I'm sorry for your loss. I'm here if you need me." We don't say this because it sounds trite and foolish; ie, we don't say it because we're afraid of how it makes us look. The problem is that we think we need to feel the emotions of another person in order to be of any value to them but, in thinking this, what we're really focused on is ourselves. Hence, TLP's advice about reading the classics: don't read the classics because you want to be seen as the sort of person who reads the classics but read them because in doing something not focused on yourself you will learn that it's not all about you. (And it helps that the books that have survived ~2500 years are good, too.)

>> No.9708156

>>9707007
>The cure for nihilism
Why the fuck would you prescribe a "cure" for simply being disinterested in embellishing reality.

>> No.9708421

>>9708122
So the only way to transcend narcissism is to become autistic but still polite?

>> No.9708593

>>9708421
The idea is not that you can "transcend narcissism" by an act of thinking. This is itself a defense mechanism; worrying about becoming a better person and no longer being a narcissist is, itself, narcissism. The problem can only be tackled obliquely: take up a hobby, start working harder at your job, do something you don't usually do. Narcissism can only be overcome by changing your actions, and your actions will change your thought patterns. The Greek words for "habit" and "character" are only only syllable apart (the difference between a short e and long e in "ethos"), the idea is you are what you do, and to change who you are, change what you do. In a simplified form: those meatheads who say, "You're depressed? Why don't you eat more protein and exercise more, bro?" are, actually, right.

>> No.9708645

So why is narcissism bad again?