[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 225 KB, 960x1200, Simone-Weil-round-glasses-not-smiling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9678675 No.9678675 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone read any of her works?

Background: I'm currently reading through the NT and although I'm enjoying it I'm not getting that "click" moment where it all falls together. I can enjoy it for what it is and to a degree see where others find comfort in it however it feels far too much like a product of its time and location with much of each teachings simply feeling only relevant to the time and culture in which it emerged (in contrast to say the doctrines of the Pali Canon which seem more satisfyingly universal)

Now although I'm fundamentally a materialist, in practice at least, I am open to the existence of God, or at the very least idealism over materialism thus I'm looking for works to challenge my already established beliefs. So far out of all the Christian writers I have investigated only two seem to stand out so far: Kierkegaard (who I have already made a decent dent with) and Weil (who I have yet to read at all). The former makes a strong case for faith and the latter (as far as I can tell) seems capable of resolving the issues of the problem of evil.

tl;dr, Anyone read Weil? Sell me on her works? Christian esotericism/mysticism general.

>> No.9678764

I'd suggest reading Susan Sontag's essay on Weil before reading any of her works. Weil's ideas are intense and basically impossible to put into practice without exploding. She also takes alot of liberties with Biblical interpretation (she ignores the entire OT) so maybe she aint the best reference for understanding the Bible. That being said, she had a stunning ability to bring the Christian mysteries to life through metaphor.

>> No.9678812

>>9678764
>I'd suggest reading Susan Sontag's essay on Weil before reading any of her works.
Thanks for the recommendation anon.

>She also takes alot of liberties with Biblical interpretation (she ignores the entire OT)
Honestly this is part of the appeal. Because of my familiarity with scholars such as Stavrokopolou I can't see the OT being anything more than it is; a collection of jewish writings and mythology, written hundreds of years after the fact (for a specific audience and purpose) that are riddled with contradiction and allude to judaism's pre-monotheistic origin. This is of course not to say that the OT is worthless it's just something worth taking into account when reading it.

>> No.9679018

>>9678675
I just picked up La personne et la sacré from the library, anon. Strange coincidence. I feel kind of lonely in my fascination with her thought, ever since reading L'enraciment.

>> No.9679025

anyone read her notebooks? they seem cool af

>> No.9680471

>>9678675

In my opinion, the best book in the NT is the Gospel of John. I would read Gospel of John + Hebrews

And Acts of the Apostles + Pauline epistles (if you dont want to read them all, read the 7 undisputed ones with regards to authorship, Romans, Conrinthians 1 and 2, Galatians, Philippians, 1 Thessalonians and Philemon)
although I would also read Colossians, Ephesians and Thessalonians 2.

>> No.9680988

>>9679018
Not OP but I think she's stunning. Almost makes me wish I was a Christian. Her thought would make it worth it

>> No.9682556

>>9680988
>Almost makes me wish I was a Christian.
why?

>> No.9682581

>>9678675
she is the typical brahmin stuck a low jhana. and since Christians obfuscate everything they experience with their god and retarded ratio, she has no idea on how to go higher.
=>She is better than liberals, like any successful meditator, but not good enough to stop being unhappy. She really should be read by westerners, instead of westerners diving into tibetan buddhism first.

>> No.9682618

>>9682581
GO BACK TO LHASA YOU SHERPER REEEEEEEEE

>> No.9682672

>>9678812
>>>She also takes alot of liberties with Biblical interpretation (she ignores the entire OT)
>Honestly this is part of the appeal.
she reads the bible through an hellenic lens,not a judaic one, so ofc christians will never support her.

>> No.9683348

bonmp

>> No.9683382

>>9678675
Look at those dead-ass eyes. I'll bet she's seen some shit.