[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 216 KB, 1280x720, daredevil0218161280jpg-19cee5_1280w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9612146 No.9612146 [Reply] [Original]

Will, impotence, rage, hate, manhood, the nature of evil- am I biting more than I can chew if my first novel is trying to discuss all of this in the form of a horror fantasy?

Pic unrelated, thats just a somewhat complex superhero

>> No.9612218

No.
#1 Dialogue
#2 Prose
#3 Show, don't tell

If these three things are god tier, it can make anything look good.

>> No.9612309
File: 123 KB, 960x700, Jeff_Simpson_Concept_Art_Illustration_11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9612218
Simple but motivating. I find myself doubting myself just as often as I keep getting boosts of confidence from putting new pieces of the puzzle together or getting work done.

I guess I've mostly been getting unsure because of the obvious bias against young/ new authors talking about heavier themes that arent something like depression which are hip

>> No.9612320

Write short stories first, show it and talk to people about it, experiment, publish it if you can, don't tie ideas to big projects which are harder to get realized, write short stuff before creating your Lord of the Rings, anon.

Instead of sitting to write your masterpiece, just write several pieces. It's only with this experience that you'll know what paths your ideas can take and you'll start out your novel with a more mature perception of writing itself.