[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 251x242, annoyed_alien.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9594876 No.9594876 [Reply] [Original]

Why is literary culture so poisonous and pseudo intellectual?

It seems I am obliged to read 1000 boring books that were written as entertainment but are now worshipped as if they are tomes of infallible philosophical wisdom. It is seen as an unforgivable crime to give up on a book no matter how boring it gets.

Literary theory is a load of incoherent and unfalsifiable nonsense that has never given anyone the ability to create worthwhile art.

It seems that these days novels have fallen so much in status they remain merely a way for women to attention whore.

>> No.9594888

literature kinda piles onto itself.
You dont need to read it all but you gotta understand at least that reading more only enhances what you've already read (assuming its any good)

the problem is when people dismiss anything new/different (even if it would contribute to their understanding) because it threatens their own self-concept
this is sort of what you're doing here so be aware that its a sorta hypocritical stance.
the others arent much better so you can feel good about that

>> No.9594907

>>9594876
read pale fire anon, you'll get a laugh or two

>> No.9594921

>>9594876
>all the books are written for entertainment purposes
>""""""""""""""""""obliged""""""""""""""""""
go away frogshit

>> No.9594922

>>9594907

I read it and really liked it.

Ironically at the time I decided to alternate reading "patrician" books with "fun" books. I found pale fire much more fun than the sci-fi book. Contrary to the psudointellectuals, boring doesn't mean intelligent