[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 6 KB, 209x241, unamuno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9572747 No.9572747 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /lit/,

I've been asked to write a brief "introduction" of myself for my writing.

I've written a basic summary of my education and work experience, and in an attempt to be somewhat light-hearted I've concluded with the following:

>"He aspires to be an overlooked and underappreciated writer whose talent is discovered several decades after his lonely and uneventful death."

Does it sound gay or try-hard?

Is it at least somewhat humorous?

>> No.9572758

>>9572747
little too verbose imo (and, and). not very funny but whatever.

your work experience/education? now that's gay. can you define yourself another way.

>> No.9572763

It's alright. Normies might find it a bit of a downer, both too self-deprecating and hubristic.

>> No.9572764

>>9572758
What the fuck should I write?

They have asked for "Likes, Dislikes , funny story , family , adventures"

But I'm not willing to tell just anybody about that sort of thing, I'm just not that kind of person and it's essentially just doxxing yourself for no reason.

>> No.9572766

>>9572747
I'd be more specific to drive home the sarcasm. State your cause of death, for one thing.

>> No.9572767

>>9572764
Say that then.
>Anon isn't keen on telling people his life story as he generally likes to keep to himself.

>> No.9572769

>>9572767
I wrote that in my initial submission but they've since asked me for a brief bio (which I provided) and now some intro to be read out when I receive the award on-stage in front of an audience.

>> No.9572778

>>9572769
Did you submit that as your bio or just say it to them? You can just redo it in the intro. Almost all zines ask for some sort of bio so I spent half an hour coming up with a bunch of nonsense ones that are funny enough to be accepted but also avoid filling the brief in any real sense.

>> No.9572792

>>9572778
In the initial submission of my story it asked for a "short bio" and not thinking I'd win I just wrote "I am a private person". But now I've won and have to attend an awards evening where they'll introduce me before I go up, collect the prize money, and read out my story to an audience.

>> No.9572803

>>9572792
That's fine, just say the same thing but make it longer and funny without it seeming too aggressive towards the organisers. For example, I was once introduced as:
>[Anon] was stabbed to death in 1967 by Roland Barthes but continues to produce work as a ghost writer.
Doesn't say anything real, is an in-joke for literary people, isn't insulting towards the people who put you there.
Well done, by the way.

>> No.9572808

>>9572803
That reference is way too high-brow and bizarre for this kind of event. At least the "discovered after his death" meme is somewhat relatable I think.

>> No.9572812

>>9572808
Yes, your original one is probably fine.

>> No.9572860

OP here. My alternative plan was to write bio about my education etc, and then conclude with

>"He is a sick man. He is a spiteful man. He is an unpleasant man. He thinks his liver is diseased."

Is this even edgier and less funny?