[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 58 KB, 600x600, 1470032430219.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9552704 No.9552704 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think, /lit/? Would it be possible for one to not only write, but create actual enjoyable literature in a language which is not his mother tongue? Or are there elements in a language which you can only understand and truly use if that's what you were listening to from the day you were born? Could one fool the audience that he's not a native or something will always be amiss in his works?

>> No.9552765

I was born in Brazil and then came to the United States when I was three and a half years old. Portuguese is my first language, but I am much better at english. My answer is yes, but on the condition that you took up your second language at a reasonably young age. I am of the belief that the older you are the more difficult it is for you to take up brand new disciplines like a second language. It is even harder to relearn a language that you learned incorrectly; it's like letting a broken finger heal incorrectly. Such is my case with portuguese, it's like I'm 1.5-lingual instead of bilingual.

>> No.9552770
File: 54 KB, 269x401, heart-of-darkness.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It has been done.

>> No.9552785

Who is Nabokov?