[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 28 KB, 186x208, 1455904537713.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9536445 No.9536445 [Reply] [Original]

After returning to reading after a couple years of shirking most it (ie, reading few books and focusing mostly on digital text and discourse), I discovered that I am now very easily distracted while reading books. Texts that I would've onced wolfed down in probably less than a day (eg, First as Tragedy, Then as Farce) I instead take a good week or two to digest, while thicker texts (eg, Discipline & Punish) take me about a month to get from cover to cover. Taking out the considerations of limited time, text density, and occasional note taking, I find that I now constantly flip from book to phone -- choosing a song, responding to a text, following an updating page, looking up a reference in or about the text, etc etc -- and it ends up grossly prolonging my reading time. Any of you guys deal with this? Any ways to manage or reduce it?

>> No.9536574

A bump

>> No.9536836

>choosing a song, responding to a text, following an updating page, looking up a reference in or about the text, etc etc
This has to be bait

But I'll bite anyway: put the phone away, turn the TV off, and read in a peaceful location away from distractions. This isn't rocket science

>> No.9536843

try reading along with an audiobook , it will help you concentrate and get into practice again. Think of the audio book as training wheels, take them off when you feel ready.

>> No.9536847

>>9536445
embrace schizophrenia and consumerism

>> No.9536855

Not sure if troll, but if not ' focusing mostly on digital text and discourse)'.

Congrats, you have attention deficit disorder.

>> No.9537104

You can either embrace your ADD, or deprive it of anything other than the book. I do the former and read in short bursts multiple times throughout the day, but if you want reading to be a central part of your life you should probably do the latter.

>> No.9537435

Thanks for the replies, and no I'm not a troll, just 'out of practice' and surprised at myself. I never noticeably experienced this when I read more voraciously a few years back but was shocked out how distracted I was compared to before, hence the thread. I never considered ADD due to multiple failed tests for it as a child and more attributed it to crazy anxiety, but hey who knows.

>>9536843
>>9537104
Thank you, both of you seem like you have some solid advice. I like the audiobook idea in particular -- one thing I noticed while reading was a bizarre tendency for my 'inner voice' to careen off into word/thought salad while reading (and has been reflected as a tendency towards watching video essays and lectures over reading). Maybe the audiobooks will help keep it in place.