[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 40 KB, 301x475, 366330.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9530725 No.9530725 [Reply] [Original]

Will reading this benefit me in any way if I already know calculus and modern mechanics? How much of his Physics is ACTUALLY physics as we think of it? I have already read his Organon, Metaphysics, On the Soul, and his Ethics and am considering moving on.

>> No.9530987

>>9530725
>Will reading this benefit me in any way if I already know calculus and modern mechanics?
no.

>> No.9531064

An anon told me that you can't really grasp the metaphysics without having read physics (and organon), but you've read and presumably understood the metaphysics so perhaps that isn't true?

>> No.9531070

>>9531064
There are a lot of ways to think you've understood Aristotle without actually having understood him. People have been doing it for over 2000 years.

>> No.9531134

it's more about the motions and continuums bruv

>> No.9531142

>>9530725
Aristotelian physics is not the same as modern day physics, nor is it even "physics" as we think of it. They do not deal with the same subject matter. Aristotle's physics is natural philosophy, dealing with nature as a principle of motion and change and the causes of self-moving things. Physics explains what Aristotle means by matter, form, motion, cause, place, time, and gives some important information on his conception of the prime mover. You and every other retard fooled by the title would do well to read it.

>>9531064
Reading the physics gives important context to what Aristotle is trying to do in metaphysics. Physics deals with motive entities inseparable from matter, while the Metaphysics deals with the first principles, eternal and immovable and separable from matter.

>> No.9531143

>>9530725
>How much of his Physics is ACTUALLY physics as we think of it?

not very much. there isn't really much theorizing on the basis of empirical evidence, it's more conceptual analysis of concepts like causation

>> No.9531150

>>9530725
Aristotle's Physics has been almost entirely superseded by classical and later by relativistic physics and quantum mechanics. If you find Aristotle interesting, I'd say you may read it as a piece of history of science. It's good if you want to understand how our understanding of physics evolved.

Metaphysics is a different matter as we've been having a resurgence of neo-Aristotelian mechanics in modern academic philosophy. There are debates whether it is substantive as a subject, but quite a few people believe there is value to it. I'd say give it a shot, it's fascinating if you know the modern stuff.

>> No.9531159

>>9531150
EDIT: 'neo-Aristotelian METAPHYSICS, not mechanics, sry'
>>9531142
Would agree anon.