[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 435 KB, 417x640, Crimeandpunishmentcover.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9527802 No.9527802 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished crime and punishment. The sole purpose of this thread is to get your opinion on the symbolism/meaning behind certain places, actions, concepts, characters and so on. Pick any you like and just ramble a bit about them. I guess this is a CaP general thread.

> the Hay Market

> Raskolnikow's desire to "fight" (taunting Porfiri, Sametow etc. while talking, escaping "traps")

> Which exact role does suffering play?

> Christianity

> Lisaweta

> Of which nature is the change Raskalnikow's experiences at the end?

> In how far are Raskalnikow's motives relevant and at what is Dostojewski hinting at in a more general sense with them?

> Swidrigailow

> Sofja/Awdotja

> The attempted suicide of the girl (Afrosinja) that threw herself of a bridge.

> Raskolnikow's dead bride

> the decline of Katerina and Semjon Marmeladow

If you have anything other that you'd like to address or to have addressed feel free to type it out.

>> No.9527812

Anyone else notice how alcohol is a telltale signifier of encroaching Social Nihilist ideas? It's first shown in the bar, as Raskolnikov is deeply uncomfortable around such open-faced uninhibited people, and continues to intersperse the narrative until Svidigrailov's suicide, which he carries out immediately after visiting a beer garden.

>> No.9528384

>>9527802
>Lisaweta
>Swidrigailow
>Sofja/Awdotja

what is this polish butchering of these beautiful Russian names?

shoo shoo pole

>> No.9528561

I think Raskilinikov going insane after he committed murder was some of the best writing I have ever read. Pre-Revolution Russians have such heavy writing. I am at the part where Raskinikov just gave the money he received to the widower of the drunk. Should I keep reading?

>> No.9529030

>>9528384

Don't judge me. I just used the names I found in the German version.

>> No.9529033

>>9528561

Yes. Read. Now.