[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 44 KB, 323x500, white_noise.large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
952443 No.952443 [Reply] [Original]

Am I the only person who doesn't like this book?

>> No.952454

It actually gets a lot of hate on /lit/. I kinda liked it. Nothing spectacular, but not as bad as some make it out to be.

>> No.952456

Underworld is better.

>> No.952463

Oh, I thought it was amazing. "Jack, I want to do for Elvis what you've done for Hitler."

>> No.952468

>>952454
Really? I guess I don't frequent /lit/ enough to see. What don't they like about it?

>> No.952485

I liked it, although I think people accept their inevitable death easier than these douches

>> No.952500

>>952485
OP here

I just didn't like the characters at all. It was just all 1980s culture of fear nonsense to me idk.

>> No.952510

I liked it, until they got to the end with the nuns.

I hate I'M-HERE-JUST-TO-BE-A-VEHICLE-FOR-THE-AUTHOR'S-IDEAS characters.

>> No.952551

>>952500
Long time since I read it, maybe I won't like it now that I have more books under my belt, but at the time I enjoyed it because I really felt like there was nonsense and fear coming from everywhere

>> No.952883

White Noise was average.

"Underworld: the life of a baseball" is a fucking waste of time. Seriously.

>> No.954864

The ending was crap, but the man had an impact on dialogue that can't be ignored. The Corrections never would have existed without him.
Also, the barn scene where they're talking about Benjamin is one of my favorite ever.
Read Amazons -- it's ghostwritten by Don, he doesn't take himself as seriously.
Met him once.

>> No.954872

>>Read Amazons -- it's ghostwritten by Don, he doesn't take himself as seriously.

I have read it, weirdly. I didn't know anybody else knew that book existed.

>>Met him once.

Who the fuck are you, Pynchon?

>> No.954890

>>954872
It's funny, no? Pisses me off that he still won't recognize it. Can't tell if he's carrying through with a grand joke or embarrassed about the work.
No I'm not Pynchon, although I met his son (some friends at Vassar). I'm a student at SLC and I sat down next to him on a bench to have a smoke.

>> No.955128

bamp.

>> No.955154

>>It's funny, no? Pisses me off that he still won't recognize it. Can't tell if he's carrying through with a grand joke or embarrassed about the work.

I didn't realize he still won't recognize it, but it's not really ghost-written, it was sort of collaborative, I thought. But one of the characters from it turns up again in White Noise, so I figured it was something between it being a grand joke, and him being Pessoa-ish about his involvement, or feeling like writing under a pseudonym means you have to let the pseudonym take the credit. Kinda like---if I'm dragging Pessoa into this---the book of short stories that Joyce Carol Oates published, which she claimed was written by a Portuguese ghost or something. One way or the other she has an elaborate preface explaining that she doesn't really know if she wrote the book or not.

FWIW my personal favorite of his books is "Great Jones Street" although nobody seems to have read it.

>>No I'm not Pynchon, although I met his son (some friends at Vassar). I'm a student at SLC and I sat down next to him on a bench to have a smoke

Oh okay. I just was wondering, since I'd always heard he was really reclusive.

If you get a chance, ask Jackson Pynchon if his dad is a retired CIA agent. I always wondered.

I mean, now that we know he's not Salinger.

>> No.955285

meh opinon:

Libra>Underworld>Point Omega> White Noise> Mao 2>Cosmopolis>The Body Artist