[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 200x297, pale king.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9466530 No.9466530 [Reply] [Original]

How does /lit/ feel about unfinished novels? Is it worth reading them even though they were unfinished?

In the case of DFW, he actually arranged the manuscript so it would easily be found, and he had to know it was going to be published. Does that make The Pale King "finished" in the sense that DFW didn't have anything else to add?

>> No.9466559

>>9466530
All Kafka's novels were unfinished yet they're fantastic. I read Soseki's Meian which is unfinished and loved it. Gogol's Dead Souls was unfinished, but still an amazing read.

>> No.9466654
File: 23 KB, 300x438, gardenofeden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can't think of anything I read that unfinished. But I was wondering if anyone has read pic related. The only Hemingway longer story I've read is The Old Man and The Sea.

>> No.9466655

>>9466559

Add 2666 to that list

>> No.9466672

they idea of an unfinished novel is a joke. All novels are "finished" by the editors.

>> No.9466685

Gogols Dead Souls is really annoying because it really is unfinished, you're stranded in an engaging and progressing storyline that just gets chopped off.

>> No.9466701

>>9466530
TPK is a finished book.
He knew it was at least the first half of one.
The current narrative is basically a downer, an immersion into a sad, strange, cruel and boring world.
Book 2 was supposed to be the answer to these situations.

some things that were supposed to happen:DFW was going to disappear, Meredith Rand was going to leave Ed and fall in love with Drinion, Stecyck was going to gradually be seen as a well-adjusted man, and Sylvanshine would continue to monitor Fogle to find out his secret anti-boredom technique.
the editors just compressed some of those late-2nd book scenes into to the first half.

this second half was going to be more light-hearted most likely, providing answers to questions he didn't truly believe. it just kinda becomes a disjointed tragedy in the end, which was always kind of his thing.

>> No.9468134

>>9466666
intoxicated fool