[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 220x327, 220px-DarconvillesCat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9414440 No.9414440 [Reply] [Original]

I finished this a while ago but never made a thread on it or have seen one of it.

Any interesting thoughts?

IMO, it has some of the best prose writing I've ever read; sadly however Theroux isn't a super-original author and I think Joyce, Nabokov, and Proust are destined to be better remembered as masters of prolix, poetic prose because they were more revolutionary in what they did. This book is pretty much a straightforward realist novel with some postmodern gimmicks.

The ending IMO was disappointing and cliched, he spent so much time building up a complex, morally ambiguous and interesting tale and characterization of Darconville and ruined it with a corny and out-of-character redemption of Darconville; also the fact that his last words are "My cat!" which is the title-drop I also found really corny, because it seems to have no relation to the rest of the book.

>> No.9415300

>>9414440
I own this book but I haven't read it yet. I did read A. Theroux's book on Edward Gorey and enjoyed that. I also on Three Wogs. Did you read any of those Anon? I will probably read D.C because of how much it's worth and because elderly authors make me want to read them before they emit their final croak and never breath again.