[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 140 KB, 1200x700, 1474069190290.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9375750 No.9375750 [Reply] [Original]

I had just been accepted to do an internship with a very prominent tech company within the Silicon Valley, and when I spoke to the lady that I was supposed to shadow/work for, she confessed that, even though I had been the best of the bunch, I still needed to "perfect" my grammatical skills before I start.

Any editors/copywriters/proofreaders/technical writers/grammar enthusiasts here willing to suggest me comprehensive guides on grammar? I know how to diagram and parse sentences, but I'm stuck on the more advanced side of syntax. Topics like: right node raises, sluicing, inversions, and whatever "pied-piping" is. I'm not entirely sure why she needs me to know syntax of this level; she basically would like for me to become a walking style guide that could bring her coffee.

I would very much appreciate any recommendations you guys can give. I'm still in my first year of my linguistics major, so this is a very daunting task that I'm not willing to compromise.

Also, please don't recommend any style guides; I have every single one that could have the smallest possibility of being relevant in a professional setting.

>> No.9376825
File: 1.30 MB, 650x1192, Three lecturers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9375750
Sick image, brah!