[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.03 MB, 2000x1598, Literature_Stock-Photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9354592 No.9354592 [Reply] [Original]

Why is the study of literature important? Is it? I've been thinking of studying literature, but I can't find a good reason to do it. When I google stuff like "why is literature important" etc., it's just article after article about why it's important for you, as a person, to study literature (the benefits of it). But is the study of literature in any way important to society? Why should anyone study literature?

>> No.9354624

>>9354592
An artistic view into one's mind.
To study a language to such depth that you may pick out why someone chose to portray something even when they didn't even intend to, is something magical.

I've just started to get into literature myself. I need more pointers, but even I understand the use and need of understanding what information we can extract from a written piece, be it a poem or novella.

>> No.9354642

>>9354592
Literature is art. And art is the creation of creativity. And creativity is the distinguishing feature of humanity. To create is the highest achievement of men. To study these creations is to study humanity and it also helps you to create.