[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 48 KB, 658x370, file_204587_0_makelovenotwarcraft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9286632 No.9286632[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do I convince my younger brother to stop wasting time with video games and start reading some books? As he sees it, all entertainment is made with the intent of escaping from reality, and when I suggest otherwise he calls me a pretentious asshole. He's not wrong, but I still care about him. He gets really irritable when he isn't at his computer.

What can I do to help him? I used to be the exact same way but literature really helped get me out of that hole. I just don't want to tell him how to live/think.

>> No.9286650

He is right. What do you mean you got out of that hole? You are sitting on 4chan with a false sense of superiority, disparaging your brother, and addressing the lit board in hopes of your warped thinking being echoed and reinforced.

Grow up.

>> No.9286666

>>9286632

Video games offer a better sense of immersion than books. This is just a fact. There are many good reasons to read, and immersion into a world is one of them, but it's being replaced by a medium that has become superior at immersion.

>> No.9286678

I think video games are a great way to entertain oneself. There are lots of benefits to playing games, it's not just escapism.

Just let your brother play, OP. Maybe he'll discover literature later on, maybe he won't. And that's fine.