[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 130 KB, 480x438, IMG_20170370_023554.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9243653 No.9243653 [Reply] [Original]

What's the difference between modernism, formalism and structuralism? Help a brainlet out.

I know Structuralism follows after Formalism, that's all well and good, but how does modernism tie in to all this? Is it a movement that comprises both Formalism and Structuralism? Is it a concurrent movement? Are they different things entirely and not related?

>> No.9243656

isms are dumb

>> No.9243669

>>9243653
As I see it (this is by no means definitive, I'm pretty much a retard), modernism developed out of formalism as structuralism did, but modernism is more an artistic response to the concepts while structuralism is a philosophical/anthropological adaption of the concepts.

If that makes any sense.

>> No.9243691

>>9243656
That's true, especially considering no matter how much you try to limit an author to a certain movement, certain characteristics of his works will still fall outside of what's generally agreed to be the main traits of said movement.

But, alas, an academiacuck has to learn this stuff.