[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 212x250, 1488218371170s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9228480 No.9228480 [Reply] [Original]

Why don't we have a thread comparing and discussing the prosodic features of our native language? I'm mostly thinking of prosodic features of the traditional poetry (including, not only meter, but also things like rhyme, alliteration, or pitch cadence as in Classical Chinese poetry), but information about the modernist innovations would be cool too. I'm not sure if this should go on /lit/ or /int/, but it seems like there are enough people with a language other than English as their mother tongue for this to work. Discussion of classical languages is also more than welcome.

For my part, as a student of Spanish, I know that the traditional prosody is more or less like that of French--i.e., neither stress nor syllable length (which is of course nonexistent anyways) are taken into account, and the only metrical restraints are syllable count and caesurae. I also know that by far the most common Spanish meter is el octavosílabo, just as the most "natural" meter in English is blank verse.

That said, I know that many modernists and proto-modernists imported classical meters (dactylic hexameter, iambic trimeter, etc.), using the stress accent of Spanish. Perhaps the most notable of these (correct me if you disagree) is Rubén Darío, whom I think I like, although I've only read a handful of poems of his since I have to look up a word every other line. That said, my question is, which of these "classical" meters has been the most successful in Spanish, and which is the most "natural"? Is there any particular stress pattern that you think is most natural in Spanish, as iambic is in English?

>> No.9228580

>>9228480
In Spanish, the most common stress pattern are emphatic (enfático), heroic (heróico) y melodic (melódico). These three's sixth and tenth syllabes are stressed (these are called static stresses, or ''acentos fijos''), the only difference is whether the first stress is placed in the first (emphatic), second (heroic) or third (melodic) syllabe.
Accentual versification in Spanish isn't very common though.

>> No.9228632

>>9228480
>the most "natural" meter in English is blank verse.
The most "natural" meter in English is rhymed iambic couplets.

>> No.9228668
File: 44 KB, 452x253, castlesplatcloseup.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9228632
>couplet
>meter

>> No.9228827
File: 6 KB, 225x225, 32326.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9228632
>being this dumb