[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 500x351, 1277177965446.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
920657 No.920657 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/,
What do you do to get yourself inspired to write? Also, what are some good ways to brainstorm before you start writing?

>> No.920676

bump

>> No.920678

I think....Until I get a good idea for a story....then I start writing it.

>> No.920682
File: 37 KB, 490x301, 1276805497855.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>920678

>> No.920697

If you have to force yourself to write you shouldn't be a writer. It should just come out of you.

>> No.920707

Drugs are great, not joking.

>> No.921393

methamphetamines.

>> No.921424 [DELETED] 

>>920653

sTOp ATtacKINg anD FUCkInG wiTh_WWw.aNoCArRoTsTalK.SE_REplaCE_cArRotS WITh N
z s trtm b zx steheyw m vcq gnf d tyxiakoxql k y

>> No.921422

>>920697

If you have to force yourself to make money you shouldn't be a moneymaker. It should just come out of you.

>> No.921429

I don't know, I just get an idea I like then write it

I used to have a lot of trouble getting started because I felt I hadn't prepared properly but now instead get a rough idea of what I want. Write a 1st draft and by time I've done and read through I have a better clue of what I want and like. So I do a second 1st draft which is usually completely different and then keep editing it

>> No.921439

>>921422
Right. Because everything in the world is earned by windfalls and lotteries.

Sometimes you have to encourage yourself to write. I'm not sure, but I heard there was an author who purposely forced himself to write like, 1000 words every day. I think it was Hemingway.

>> No.921446

>>921439

I agree. Most writers (at least when they start off) find it hard to get going when writing. It's mainly because 1st drafts are almost always shit and it's disheartening to know this idea you love in your head has become shit in reality.

I got over it in 3 ways

1. Got rid of internet, meaning I had to occupy time with something
2. Realised unless I actually write something then I can't be a writer.
3. Realised that how I imagine something will never be as good or the same as how it comes across in reality

>> No.921460 [DELETED] 

STop aTtACKiNG_anD FucKinG WItH_wWW.ANocaRRoTstALK.Se repLacE CArroTs_wItH_N
e ic nfj xhvg wqgibnaxfr qtpdb xbcri

>> No.921473

transcribe conversations that you have

copy out writings of other writers that you like, just to get you started. like, literally just transcribe them verbatim

>> No.921484

Physical activity, I'm a better writer after I sweat.

>> No.921531

This is going to sound stupid, but hear me out. To get inspired to write, I write. A medium lengthed journal entry at the beginning of ever day really keeps my creative mind working all day. A lot of times I will have come up with a short story by the time I finish dinner. Write a little bit, and write about anything. It will prime the pump.

>> No.921535

I find myself most wanting to write when I'm excited about what I'm going to be writing.

>> No.921555

>>920655

sTOp_ATTacKinG aNd_fuckinG_With www.ANocarrOTStaLK.SE_rEplacE cArROTs_WiTh n
ss idqvvy jobuk w g brqnhggtsanzvpox chu

>> No.921560

sTOp aTtacKinG ANd FucKiNg_wIth wwW.aNOCaRrotsTALK.sE rePLACe CaRrots wItH N
pznk r dpadlbte jl ugai yviteyjumpl njmqa fd

>> No.921567

>>920656

StOP AtTAcking ANd FuckINg wiTh_WwW.aNOcarrOTstalK.SE_rEPLacE cArROTs WIth_N
iwktdl pmudg ldudwhzjyp kafbxmkcd ivczyjvc

>> No.921595

1) Get a good idea and write it down

2) write until I get a good idea.

It's the only way.

>> No.921609

Listen to a powerful symphonic work, and then brainstorm a few ideas stemming from what you felt about the composition.

>> No.921614

Wait for an idea to come up, note it. Keep it in mind until it expands. Note the expands. Remove parts that don't fit in, continue expanding. Daydreaming about the idea a lot. Playing different scenarios. Imagine landscapes and people. Remove unfitting stuff, repeat until I think it's done. Start writing, if I get stuck at any point, get back to the expanding point.

Takes a lot of time, but I'm not a professional so I guess I have the time.

>> No.921621

>>920654
STop_attACkInG ANd_FuckING_WiTh_wwW.AnocArroTStaLK.se repLAcE CArROtS_WItH_N
jtbn x hldjl a hcwiesyz lov hlu cvm

>> No.921715

>>921439
Stephen King forces himself to write 2000 words a day. Personally, I stick to ten pages, which comes to something over 500 words (small pages and doublespaced for editing).

I have an idea, then write, while writing I have some new ideas, jot them down, etc. The most important thing for me is to not force myself in a certain format. I need the freedom to move around with my ideas a little.

>> No.921719

>>921609
This. Even try soundtracks, things designed to set a mood or atmosphere and try to imagine a scene playing out to the music, then describe the scene, and from there it's a simple matter to expand upon that.

That's actually my remedy for writer's block, but whatever.