[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 384x239, Suica.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
917473 No.917473 [Reply] [Original]

This is for those who currently own ebook readers. I just ordered a Kindle from Amazon, and it will be the first time I've ever used an ereader.

Do you only use your ereaders when you're going out, and still prefer the physical thing if you're got it at home? Or do you find it about the same 'experience' as a physical novel?

The only reasons I didn't purchase it earlier is that:
1) They haven't really taken off in my country yet
and
2) I always thought "feeling the book you're reading in your hands just must be better than reading from a screen"

Obviously, I aim to get over the second reason, hence purchasing one as soon as I felt like it, so that I couldn't find a reason not to buy one.

Your personal experiences with ereaders would be appreciated! As its from discussions on /lit/ that is the reason for my recent purchasing of novels, and of my soon to be Kindle.

>> No.917475

/lit/ - /g/ and your livejournal

>> No.917478

>>917475
Come on, who do you think are the people who use ereaders? People who read books. And literature is generally in the form of books...

>> No.917482

>>917478

Yes but your discussion is not about literature, it's about e-readers and you getting one. This is the wrong board.

>> No.917486

I'll change the question to better suit the board:

What is your experiences about reading LITERATURE on ereaders?

>> No.917510

>>917473
>picture is Suica
>1) They haven't really taken off in my country yet
you in Japan?

>> No.917553

I have a nook. I love it for traveling and commuting on the bus because it's much more portable than a book is. As a person who commutes by bike a lot too, I enjoy the weight it frees up.

I do read it at home a lot if only because I often focus on a few books at a time and I don't really have a habit of having physical copies of the ebooks I own.

All in all it's not a huge difference for me, it has its advantages but I'm not going give away my books because I have one.

>> No.917566

>>917510
Until last week I was. I just love the little characters Suica uses.

>> No.917575

>>917566
How do you feel about Kitaca, or have you not been up to these regions? It's sort of cute, I guess...the little flying squirrel or whatever.
But I prefer my penguin, and since it works up here as well, i see no point in changing

>> No.917580

>>917486
>What is your experiences about reading LITERATURE on ereaders?

Exactly the same as reading it in a proper book, the literature remains identical regardless of where you read it. Off you go, now.

>> No.917584

>>917575
I only have been to Tokyo and Kansai. I like the platypus/duck thing that the Kansai region uses too.

I'm going there for 3-4 months as an extended holiday at the end of the year. One of the driving factors for my purchase of the Kindle.

>> No.917600

>>917584
by end of the year, I'm guessing you don't mean the mid-end of February?
Otherwise I would suggest coming up to the Snow Festival in Sapporo. They've got gigantic snow sculptures and awesome food stands. I especially like the hot wine.

>> No.917720

>>917584
I've had warm sake last November when I was in Tokyo. But I don't think I'll be able to make the ice festival, but who knows?

At this rate, I'll probably be in Japan in 2011's Christmas anyways ;)

>> No.917730

>>917720
Christmas 2011? If everything goes as planned, I should be as well. What are your plans?

I don't mean hot sake, although I do enjoy it very much.
No, they have hot red wine for really cheap. Sapporo is a sister-city with some place in Germany, and so they have a "Germantown" type event, and I think the hot wine is some sort of German tradition. Maybe?