[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 87 KB, 450x510, miranda-main-hero._V189854680_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
917175 No.917175 [Reply] [Original]

Would you buy a ebook reader?

>> No.917176
File: 429 KB, 1200x1200, 85576-kindle-dx-graphite.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.917179

As time goes on, I'm being compelled more and more by these. But for some reason I still cling on to the 'real thing'. I think it's because ebook readers are constantly being updated, that I will feel disappointed if I buy one, and then some new fancy one comes out soon after.

>> No.917181

Already own one. Haven't looked back.

>> No.917182

The things you own, end up owning you.

>> No.917190

I have a kindle! Granted, I didn't BUY it (it was gifted) but still.
Step 1. Torrent books on pirate bay
step 2. put on kindle
step 3. don't have to buy books or go all the way to the library (i always forget to return them or lose them)

Also I like it because I can lay in bed on my side and read. It's hard to explain, but i can't do that with a book.

The only thing I like better about books is they are either to make notes in and find said notes quickly. So I use regular books for school. Also when doing discussions people will say well on page 74...the kindle version I have does do pages. I think maybe later versions do? not sure.

TL;DR: Kindle: more comfortable, free books.
Regular books: better for school and notes.

>> No.917192

I have one. I love it. I use it daily for at least 2 hours. It's one of the best things I've ever bought.

>> No.917194

>>917171

stOP_aTtaCkIng_and FuCkiNg wiTH wWW.ANOCARrOtStaLK.Se rEPlaCe_caRROTS_wiTh n
ougbwalbhj uxrpyzo ertdkrzj ct vnnkcxl

>> No.917199

I wish there was more stuff available in languages other than English

>> No.917201

>>917190
Isn't the Kindle hard to get free books onto it? Also, do you happen to know if a new version is to be released?

>> No.917210

>>917182
Thanks Tyler.

>>917179
They can only improve contrast and refresh rate.
(and eventually move to color screens, which is really of no benefit at all for black text) Unless you don't think that the existing readers have text that is dark enough, you really don't have to worry about some future version overshadowing your current e-reader.
The only thing I'd like to change about my kindle is for the case to be darker, because the bright white draws attention to how grey the screen is.

>> No.917225

>>917201
Kindle is fine. But most free ebooks are released in epub format. And Kindle does not support that (Licence issues with mobipocket and stuff)

They just released the new Kindle DX Graphite. If you're gonna read pdf's get a screen thats bigger than 5" and a reader that supports zooming (PDF's get treated like images on ereaders).

>> No.917228

>>917201
it is a little tricky, i download the books in pdf form, and then I have a program take off the security features. It's called "PDF Password Remover 2.5". Next I have to change the file from a .pdf to .mobi, and I use "Auto Kindle eBook Converter".

Out of 100 books I downloaded, this process did not work for 2 of them. So pretty good I think.

>> No.917229

>>917225
>Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), PDF, TXT, Audible (formats 4, Audible Enhanced (AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reading-Graphite-Globally-Generation/dp/B002GYWHSQ

>> No.917230

>>917225
Bebook solved the licence issues by having 2 firmwares (one for epub, one for mobipocket), but their 2 readers are only 5", making them worthless for PDF reading.

>> No.917231

>>917210
Do you know if you can remove the function that tells you what page you're on? That would be awesome, as you wouldn't know when the book's going to end.

>> No.917232

>>917228
>>917225
I use a program called Calibre to manage and convert the books I download.
.lit and .epub both convert perfectly, so those are the formats I download.

>> No.917243

>>917231
I don't believe you can, there's a progress bar drawn at the bottom of the screen, along with the percentage of the book you've already read. I really don't pay attention to it though, I've honestly been surprised a few times when a book has ended.

>> No.917250

stoP ATtAckiNG_anD fUckInG_WItH_Www.anoCarROTStAlk.sE_rEpLace_caRROTS_WIth N
zisv v ftch m yno rv cptxptibvpunfsc kwhq td qj

>> No.917247

I have a Kindle. I love it. Buuuuuut it's not to the point just yet where I'd buy an ebook over a physical copy, just because the contrast isn't good enough. It's a comfortable enough read, but it's still dark gray on gray at this point. So I buy physical copies, torrent ebooks, and take my Kindle wherever it'd be inconvenient to bring hefty-ass books.

Also, it's just DEVASTATINGLY awesome as a reference tool. Wikipedia wherever you go, you can bring an obscenely huge collection of notes and manuals and reference material. It's just awesome.

And, needless to say, it's hands-down the best way to read anything that you can't buy in print (stuff from the internet, etc).

Once the displays have been upgraded to the point where it's inky black on paper white, I could honestly see not bothering with hard copies anymore.

>>917201

No. Calibre. Google it.

>> No.917256

>>917247
I'd like higher contrast, and more diffusion of light. It's a bit strange to have a reflection on a book.

>> No.917257

>>917173

sTOp_atTacking aNd_fUckINg wITh_WWw.anoCaRRoTSTaLK.sE_rEplacE_cArRoTS_wIth_n
o w nivrss qg n r qgtppk v ucpeuh hs ydyddie

>> No.917271

Okay, seems like I'm going to buy a Kindle. Hope they're not too expensive to buy online.

>> No.917278

>>917271
And like other devices, these aren't prone to just dying on me, are they?

>> No.917280

>>917271
Not too much if you only want a 6 inch display.

I, for one, am going to purchase the new Kindle DX.

>> No.917281

>>917271
You can also look on ebay, that's where I got mine and have had no problems with it.

>> No.917284

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwSr0wlS6-c&hd=1&fmt=35

DAT SCREEN <3

>> No.917290

>>917281
Might be issues if I buy one from ebay as I'm in another country?

>> No.917317

Important Message
Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation cannot be shipped to the selected address.

>> No.917346
File: 220 KB, 364x366, 1262308817944.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a few questions for kindle users:

1.) How easy is it to pirate academic texts? I'm a philosophy student, specifically studying the philosophy of psychoanalysis and post-structuralist thought, so I need some pretty theoretical texts.

2.) As said, I'm a student; I need to annotate and make notes all the fucking time. Does the kindle support that? Can I highlight? Is it as quick as the 'real thing'?

thanks, /lit/

>> No.917349

>>Works Globally

>>Important Message
Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation cannot be shipped to the selected address.

>> No.917362
File: 18 KB, 400x300, 1277306051664.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>917346
>psychoanalysis

>> No.917386

Thanks to this thread, I just bought a Kindle, lol.

>> No.917387

>>917346

>I need to annotate and make notes all the fucking time. Does the kindle support that?

Yes.

>Can I highlight?

Yes.

>Is it as quick as the 'real thing'?

It's faster than trying to write tiny shit in the margins. Highlighting is fast and easy. Also, you can very easily search your notes and the text itself, which can speed things up immensely.

>> No.918038
File: 115 KB, 1060x1558, 1255910353397.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have a Kindle (not the DX).
I work (yes) with it everyday I use it also to catch up on classical US/Brit Lit (Call of the wild, right now).
I love it. I love Calibre. Calibre will be your friend.

However, if a I want a book for my pleasure, to make myself a gift, say, I buy a real one (paper, smell, touch, cover, beauty of the object).
Having a Kindle does not mean that you will never buy book again.
For studying, I guess, it can be a very very good tool (as any other e-readers, not only the Kindle). I had no choice to take the Kindle, but I'm very happy with it.

Bzw : forget about all the crappy apps (except the dictionary). It's not a toy. It's not a chess game. I's not a I-pad, it's not a Internet Explorer. Choose according to your reading needs only and that's it.

>> No.919988
File: 170 KB, 540x552, irex-dr800sg-with-case_540x552.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just want:
>8~10 inch daylight readable screen
>Pen based annotation note taking capabilities
>Email client
>RSS reader
>Long battery life (10+ hrs)
>Basic web browser(not needed, but would be nice)
>~$300 USD

I basically just want a big pda. I don't need any other features then those listed above. A tablet pc is overkill for me.

Every product that is close to achieving that is in development limbo or canceled or something.

>> No.920019
File: 26 KB, 465x358, devcon-nook.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i have a nook. it inst too bad and only costs $150. books are easy to pirate and the .epub format on the nook flows well. however, the touchscreen keyboard is shit. I would not reccomend typing notes on the nook.