[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 240x372, The_Stand_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9167062 No.9167062 [Reply] [Original]

>Stephen King is a shitty wri-

>> No.9167127

-ter

>> No.9167136

>>9167062
>tfw you see they are standing on different planes and will miss their swings.

>> No.9167284 [DELETED] 

>>9167062
This entire novel has a good reputation from the events of 200-300 of its 1400 pages tops, if you tally up all the pages that were actually impressive.

Actually good:

Randall Flagg apart from how they beat him

The narrator describing randall flagg when he first appears, which is cooler than anything King has written besides.

Harold Lauder and everything to do with him

Larry, except for the dumb-ass way his story ends.

Trashcan Man, everything about him.

Effectively created a sense of primitive superstition and biblical mysticism that's hard to achieve nowadays.

Mother Abigail was annoying but she at least served her purpouse.

Not good:

The fucking walking and describing the minutae of mundane life.

The fucking extended winter where an injured man and his mentally handicapped friend are snowed in and do nothing but watch movies. This is described in detail.

Fran 'I want to be a traditional houewife that means feminism and women's liberation were misguided and can be done away with because of the apocalypse. I can decide this for all remaining women' Goldsmith. She has no personality.

Stu 'my character is that I'm a good guy' Redman.

The ending where the actual Stand happens but gets interrupted by a nuclear bomb triggered by the literal plasma-like hand of God. Like seriously, you could have done the same thing but had a member of Flagg's empire somehow deliberately trigger the bomb upon seeing how brave the Stand, the point of the damn book. was after Flagg kills them all, thus making it have an effect and re-inforce the possibility of redemption that was actually an important part of the bible.

All the walking.

Basebuilding in good guy town went on for way too long.

You know what, most things were not good apart from those filed under 'actually good.

>> No.9167305

>>9167062
the cover art accurately represents the psychological complexity of King's characterization in the book

>> No.9167373

>>9167305
delet this

>> No.9167378

>>9167062
>a novel by the author of THE SHINING
this is bait for people who watched the movie and never read the book.
This book is targeted toward people who don't read books.
Stephen King is undoubtedly a shitty writer

>> No.9167388

>the ending LITERALLY has the hand of god come down and squash the bad guy

why the fuck didnt god just show up at the beginning

>> No.9167397

M O O N, that spells Deus ex Machina

>> No.9167404

>>9167062
>>9167388
>>9167397
That ending is inde-fucking-fensible.

>> No.9167478

>>9167378
Except I'm pretty sure that cover is from the 1st printing, which would predate the film by a couple years.