[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 124 KB, 1000x541, Tolstoy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9151880 No.9151880 [Reply] [Original]

https://discord.gg/xNkqCKq

Come read Hadji Murat with a group of people who actually finish books, unlike 99% of these reading groups.

Schedule is 5 chapters a day starting Monday, and then Forged Coupon on the weekend.

Hadji Murat is only 212 pages, and papa Bloom calls it: “my personal touchstone for the sublime of prose fiction, to me the best story in the world, or at least the best that I have ever read.", and what Joyce called the finest story he ever read.

This reading group has finished: Makioka Sisters by Tanizaki, Melmoth the Wanderer/Melmoth Reconciled, Middle C by Gass, Don Quixiote, Dante's Divine Commedy, Magic Mountain by Mann, Hyperion by Hoderlin, Walaschek's Dream by Orelli, Petersburg by Bely, Kappa by Akutagawa and others!

>> No.9151902

>>9151880
>and what Joyce called the finest story he ever read.

No, Joyce was referring to "How Much Land Does a Man Need?"

>>9151880
> This reading group has finished: Makioka Sisters, Divine Comedy, Petersburg, Quixote

damn, I'm impressed. Every time I check the discord it's some losers talking about their fapping schedules and social anxiety.

>> No.9151904

>5 chapters a day
Do you people not have jobs?

>> No.9151926

>>9151902
>No, Joyce was referring to "How Much Land Does a Man Need?
you are correct, apologies. Misread pap bloom's book. As for the losers talking about fapping schedules, maybe in the past, we have purged them now.

>>9151904
thats like 50 pages a day. If you can't handle that then just read it slower.

>> No.9151933

>>9151904
that's 1, 2 hours a day at most?

>> No.9151937

>>9151880
I've read Hadji Murat, which I thought was good but not great. It could be a translation issue (Carson.) I did prefer The Cossacks for a book in a similar setting.

>> No.9151991

>>9151937
read the forged coupon, it's my fav by tolstoy and i've read all of his major works + a decent chunk of minor stuff